the big lebowski is offline Junior Member

grinding oatmeal

ok so life is gettin hecktick with new jobs and what not so im in need of a cheap meal replacement so i came up with tryin to make em on my own. 2 scoops whey and 1 cup finely chopped up oatmeal PROBLEM what is the best way to chop the oatmeal up? coffee grinder ? food processor?

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    I'd not worry so much about the oatmeal being a problem but rather the source of protein you're using.

Try and stick with Egg or Casein protein over Whey because of the quality of the protein and the amount of time it takes to digest.
    IMO whey should only be used Pre/PWO.

Jenseno9 is offline Member
    Or add a tablespoon of peanut butter. They will help you digest it slower.

Succubus is offline Banned
    Use oat flour.

Johny-too-small is offline Vive Memor Leti
    I**mfkr, where the H have you been??? Good to see you around.

haha ok im not sure if i got an answer outta there

epno is offline Junior Member

Cook and Blend

Try cooking the oatmeal first and running it through a blender.

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    Around here and there, try and pop in a bit more in certain Forums.

Whether they're cooked or uncooked isn't going to make much of a difference, it's the constant substitution of liquid meals in place of real whole foods that you should be concerned with.
    JMO

Quote Originally Posted by epno View Post
    Try cooking the oatmeal first and running it through a blender.
    well i want to be able to keep the dry oatmeal and whey in a shaker till i plan on mixing it with water later in the day, plus id like to be able to grind alot of the oatmeal all at once and have it ready whenever i need it. i dont mind uncooked oatmeal in a blender, thats actually my usual breakfast with eggwhites on the side but i dont think i can save the cooked oatmeal all day and have it stay fresh. basically im just tryin to see if anyone uses any type of grinder on oatmeal and how well it really works.

naturalsux is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by the big lebowski View Post
    ok so life is gettin hecktick with new jobs and what not so im in need of a cheap meal replacement so i came up with tryin to make em on my own. 2 scoops whey and 1 cup finely chopped up oatmeal PROBLEM what is the best way to chop the oatmeal up? coffee grinder ? food processor?
    just buy the quick cooking oats their grounded a little, same nutritional content.

coffee grinder would be ok, you just cant do much at once.

i also agree with i**mfkr about the protein. id drop the whey and use some cottage cheese or egg whites.
    Last edited by naturalsux; 11-26-2007 at 01:02 PM.

boxer1 is offline Associate Member
    use a blender, i normally grind a couple of boxes at once and keep in a tuperware box, 2 weeks worth, saves a lot of time.

epno is offline Junior Member

Grinding Dry Oats

I used to be in the restaurant business as a cook. Your most cost effective way to grind dry oats would probably be an inexpensive food processor. If you don't already own one, you could buy one at WalMart. If it doesn't work well for you, you can always return it! I found a "Grain Mill" for $260 at http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/index.aspx#Nutrimill while searching for a "Burr Mixer" (the commercial version). Kitchen Aid mixers might work too if you had a grinding attachment for it like a Hobart Mixer in a restaurant would. I'm pretty certain that a food processor would work better than a blender. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by epno View Post
    I used to be in the restaurant business as a cook. Your most cost effective way to grind dry oats would probably be an inexpensive food processor. If you don't already own one, you could buy one at WalMart. If it doesn't work well for you, you can always return it! I found a "Grain Mill" for $260 at http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/index.aspx#Nutrimill while searching for a "Burr Mixer" (the commercial version). Kitchen Aid mixers might work too if you had a grinding attachment for it like a Hobart Mixer in a restaurant would. I'm pretty certain that a food processor would work better than a blender. Good luck.

awesome, thanx man

WelshWarrior is offline Senior Member
    Buy powdered oats online.

Quote Originally Posted by WelshWarrior View Post
    Buy powdered oats online.
    thatll prob be more expensive in the long run i would think,but if u have a cheap site could u send it to me cause ive def never heard of or seen that before

WelshWarrior is offline Senior Member
    It works out cheaper for me.

I only know a UK based one. I'm sure some of the US bros can help out, though.

Bump for help

Cyclops4000 is offline New Member
    I grind them in the blender too. Its probably a terrible idea because it will burn a blender out, but it hasn't yet. It's been about a year and i bought a $19.99 blender. My room mate is a chef and he said get a processor. They seem a little expensive though so I haven't yet.

Thread Information