Blue72 is offline Junior Member

Not gaining weight. What am I doing wrong?

So i have been on my weight gaining diet for about 3 weeks now, and I seem to have LOST 5 pounds. I went from 150 to 145. I eat about 5 meals a day made up of some sort of meat and then some carbs as well. I also drink about 3 protein shakes per day. I still hit the gym 4-5 times a week also. Now granted, I seem to have cut out a bit more and I am stronger than I have ever been, but still I would think that I would have gained by now. is this natural?

Big
    Big is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer ~ "Enforcer"
    post the diet including macros, and I'll move this to the diet forum...

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    post the diet including macros, and I'll move this to the diet forum...
    No one really responds in the diet forum, thats why I posted it here.

Here is an example of some of my diet

Mon., May 26, 2008

Morning 8AM
    4 egg whites
    1 glass skim milk
    4 slices wheat bread

452 calories

Mid Morning 11:30Am
    Protein shake 1 scoop with milk

210 calories

Lunch 1:40 PM
    1 chicken breast
    1 cup brown rice
    Water

500 Calories

Mid afternoon 3:00 PM
    Protein shake 1 scoop with water

130 Calories

Dinner 5:00 PM
    1 chicken breast
    1 cup of raw oats
    Water

500 calories

Post Dinner 7:15PM
    Protein shake, 2 scoops with water

260 calories

Snack 10:00PM
    1 Banana

108 Calories

Pre Bed snack 11:00 PM
    Protein Shake 2 scoops in water

Tuesday May 27, 2008

Morning 8:30AM
    4 egg whites
    1 ½ cups cheerios
    2 wheat bread slices

Post workout 12:45PM (stomach hurting)
    Protein shake 2 scoops in water
    Apple

Lunch 3:15PM
    4 wheat bread slices
    1 piece of chicken
    2 pieces of low fat cheese

Dinner 7:00PM
    12” turkey sub on wheat bread with American cheese
    Water

Post Dinner 1:00 AM
    Protein shake two scoops in skim milk

Wednesday May 28, 2008

Lunch 11:00 AM
    1 piece of Chicken
    4 wheat bread slices
    Water

Post Workout 1:00 PM
    Protein shake with skim milk 2 scoops
    1 Banana

Pre Dinner 5:00PM
    1 Steak
    2 wheat bread slices

Dinner 7:30PM
    Grilled Chicken sandwich at hooters
    Water
    1 beer

Post Dinner 10:40
    Turkey Burger
    1 slice of low fat cheese
    2 slices of wheat bread
    Water

Lunch 12:30PM
    ½ piece of chicken
    4 slices wheat bread
    water

Big
    total per day of:
    calories?
    protein?
    carbs?
    fat?

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    total per day of:
    calories?
    protein?
    carbs?
    fat?
    Also per meal...

"1 Steak"....is pretty broad...

AdamGH is offline Senior Member
    You aren't eating enough. Looks like you have a diet of someone who wants to lose weight or maintain what they have. If anything, you prolly look better. You got rid of 5lbs of fat possibly. Im just guessing though at this point.

What should I add in with those meals?

One good thing though, is what I eat now is INFINITELY better than what I used to. I used to have maccaroni and cheese for lunch and then maybe a couple of fast food meals the rest of the day. I used to always eat big meals at like 3:00 in the morning right before bed too.

Big
    total per day of:
    calories?
    protein?
    carbs?
    fat?
    If you can't provided this, that's probably directly related to your problem. We can't help if you don't help us help you.

skinnykenney is offline Senior Member

list it up

If you can't provided this, that's probably directly related to your problem. We can't help if you don't help us help you.
    Big needs that ifo if you want help and so do I...so take a second to figure it all out......

I STILL DON'T KNOW WHAT A MACRO IS?LOL

I really don't know how to calculate all of that. But I mean you have an example of what I am eating. What needs to be added?

Big

Arnold jr is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue72 View Post
    So i have been on my weight gaining diet for about 3 weeks now, and I seem to have LOST 5 pounds. I went from 150 to 145. I eat about 5 meals a day made up of some sort of meat and then some carbs as well. I also drink about 3 protein shakes per day. I still hit the gym 4-5 times a week also. Now granted, I seem to have cut out a bit more and I am stronger than I have ever been, but still I would think that I would have gained by now. is this natural?
    If you're not gaining the solution is simple...you're simply not eating enough.

Most guys need 6-8 meals when bulking...6-8 meals spaced out evenly over the day, roughly equal in size, i.e. nutrient breakdown.

If you're bulking, no need to get too caught up in counting calories, worry more about the quality of the food you're eating and about what you see in the mirror.

Aim for a minimum of 1.5g of protein per lb of body weight....you may need to bump it up higher, but 1.5g should be minimal.

Don't neglect your fat intake. Your body needs fats to grow and to maintain muscle...they are a vital nutrient many neglect. Choose "good" fats, i.e. natural PB, whole eggs (*****-3 eggs are better) salmon, lean cuts of beef, nuts, fish oil, etc.

Don't get too obsessed with carbs. You may end up needing more carbs then the average guy to grow, and if you do that's fine...just make sure you don't neglect the other two nutrients just to get more carbs.

Big
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnold jr View Post

Most guys need 6-8 meals when bulking...6-8 meals spaced out evenly over the day, roughly equal in size, i.e. nutrient breakdown.

If you're bulking, no need to get too caught up in counting calories, worry more about the quality of the food you're eating and about what you see in the mirror.

Aim for a minimum of 1.5g of protein per lb of body weight....you may need to bump it up higher, but 1.5g should be minimal.

Don't neglect your fat intake. Your body needs fats to grow and to maintain muscle...they are a vital nutrient many neglect. Choose "good" fats, i.e. natural PB, whole eggs (*****-3 eggs are better) salmon, lean cuts of beef, nuts, fish oil, etc.

Don't get too obsessed with carbs. You may end up needing more carbs then the average guy to grow, and if you do that's fine...just make sure you don't neglect the other two nutrients just to get more carbs.
    Another good post

THAT is the kind of response I was looking for. How many oz of meat should I eat per meal? Any examples of good fats I could mix in with them? What are some of your tricks?
    Last edited by Blue72; 06-15-2008 at 08:57 PM.

tjpatrick1987 is offline Associate Member
    6 to 8 ounces of lean beef or chicken is a good margin..what you have posted for your diet up above only equals to be 2100 calories which is way to low for someone trying to gain..you need to shoot for at least 3000 and more if your active. there are some good calculators on the main page to help give you an idea on what you need. general rule of thumb try to make each diet 500 calories... anymore than that ur body has trouble digestion nutrients and starts storing it as fat....How tall are you? just curious

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries

....i told him to say that.

Quote Originally Posted by tjpatrick1987;4035***
    6 to 8 ounces of lean beef or chicken is a good margin..what you have posted for your diet up above only equals to be 2100 calories which is way to low for someone trying to gain..you need to shoot for at least 3000 and more if your active. there are some good calculators on the main page to help give you an idea on what you need. general rule of thumb try to make each diet 500 calories... anymore than that ur body has trouble digestion nutrients and starts storing it as fat....How tall are you? just curious

i told him to say that ^^^^^^^

I am 5'10", 148, 9% body fat and 22 years old.

Also you wouldn't happen to have a sample diet for weight gain would you? (Something besides what is in the stickies already)

8:00

two scoops whey
    1 serv. of wheaties and 2% milk,
    1 tbsp natural peanut butter

488kcals

10 a.m. 3 oz roasted almonds

507kcals

12:00
    2 scoops whey
    2 tbsp peanut butter
    1 small (4" diameter) whole wheat pita

466kcals

2:00 (pwo)

2 scoops whey
    5 apple cinnamon rice cakes

442kcals

4:30
    4 oz chicken mix with 1 cup of brown rice

433kcals

7:30
    Pre-made Smoothie (2 scoops whey, 1 cup oats)

499kcals

10:00 this is one meal that varies from time to time
    lean beef/ a fillet of salmon/ w/ mashed potatoe's
    2% milk

estimated at least 400 cals (by your estimation)

this is a diet that someone suggested to me...if you feel you want to subsitute foods post it back up....im in your shoes bro, 6'1 152 pounds...i've been dieting for 6 months i started at 114lbs, it takes time be patient , good luck

FortKnox36 is offline Associate Member
    Hey man.

Eat every 2 hours. (seems like a lot and it is. Itll be about 8 meals)

If you have enough money to buy enough food you can do this..just gotta eat.

Pair 5 out of the 8 meals with carbs. Have as many carbs as u want, but fill up on ur protein first. (around 30-40g protein/meal.)

Good carbs to have: sweet potatoe, brown rice, wheat bread, wheat pasta, oatmeal. (there are many more but this is what I eat)

Proteins you know what those are...just remember to have 30-40g per meal.

At night try to get in a caesin protein shake or lean beef right before u go to bed.

If you wake up to take a piss in the middle of night prepare and shake b4 u go to sleep and drink it while u piss then go back to bed.

Do this for a month and I bet you put on a good 10lbs. or more.

C

FortKnox36 is offline Associate Member
    oh and eat veggies.

Veggies I eat: green beans broccoli asparagus lettuce and thatsb out it.

AdamGH is offline Senior Member
    I am 5'10", 148, 9% body fat and 22 years old.
    I am your height, but at 22 I was 203 lbs and 9.3% bf. I ate tons of food. I didnt bother with shakes and all that crap. I ate food like every 3-4 hours and lots of it. Good food that is, not junk You want to eat anywhere from 2800-3100 calories a day to gain weight if you want to have a number to shoot for.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGH View Post
    I am your height, but at 22 I was 203 lbs and 9.3% bf. I ate tons of food. I didnt bother with shakes and all that crap. I ate food like every 3-4 hours and lots of it. Good food that is, not junk You want to eat anywhere from 2800-3100 calories a day to gain weight if you want to have a number to shoot for.
    i think i hear myself talking

Thanks for all the advice guys. I really am trying to eat a lot it just can be difficult sometimes. I have started taking weight gainer too...it is the Cyto Gainer, which contains 570 calories per serving. 54g of protein, 75g carbs, 7g sugars, 3g, of creatine, and 2g of Glutamine.

I am taking that two or three times a day. On top of that, I usually get 4 good meals of chicken or steak combined with brown rice a day. I am kinda confused on how to get the right kind of fats in though. The weight gainer is supposed to have 60 calories of fat per serving.

FallenWyvern is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I really am trying to eat a lot it just can be difficult sometimes. I have started taking weight gainer too...it is the Cyto Gainer, which contains 570 calories per serving. 54g of protein, 75g carbs, 7g sugars, 3g, of creatine, and 2g of Glutamine.

I am taking that two or three times a day. On top of that, I usually get 4 good meals of chicken or steak combined with brown rice a day. I am kinda confused on how to get the right kind of fats in though. The weight gainer is supposed to have 60 calories of fat per serving.
    The carbs in that are maltodextin, horrible for any meal but PWO. I downed that cytogainer and all it did is make me a fat skinny guy.

"High fructose corn syrup is endemic in processed foods. Fructose is not high fructose corn syrup, which is a mix of 50% fructose & 50% glucose with a high GI=89. Maltodextrin, used in many prepared foods, has an even higher GI=137."

http://optimalhealth.cia.com.au/gi17.html

Quote Originally Posted by FallenWyvern View Post
    The carbs in that are maltodextin, horrible for any meal but PWO. I downed that cytogainer and all it did is make me a fat skinny guy.

"High fructose corn syrup is endemic in processed foods. Fructose is not high fructose corn syrup, which is a mix of 50% fructose & 50% glucose with a high GI=89. Maltodextrin, used in many prepared foods, has an even higher GI=137."

http://optimalhealth.cia.com.au/gi17.html
    Hmmm. That is what was suggested to me by a couple of members and it has gotten very good reviews. I guess everyone is different though.

glucose GI=100 maltodextrin GI=137, will you gain weight, sure. Should you take this after you work out? Yes. Should you take this 2 other times in a day? Maybe, why not just buy a milkshake from MacDonalds and add some whey? It will taste better and will have less impact on your bloodsugar.....or what you should really do is eat a can of tuna with a cup of oatmeal.
    Last edited by FallenWyvern; 06-18-2008 at 11:57 AM.

sugar GI=100 maltodextrin GI=137, will you gain weight, sure. Should you take this after you work out? Yes. Should you take this 2 other times in a day? Maybe, why not just buy a milkshake from MacDonalds and add some whey? It will taste better and will have less impact on your bloodsugar.....or what you should really do is eat a can of tuna with a cup of oatmeal.

Thread Information