Friend is offline Live every week like it's shark week

Need advice on a proper diet

For the past 7 months i have been working on gaining a fair amount of weight (around 18kg) and also beginning to gain some muscle mass. I was definately underweight when i began for my height and age, and i have reached the point where most of the weight i am gaining (besides the slight gains to muscles) is around my stomach area. I have just begun adding cardio into my workout, which previously wasn't as i wanted to keep all of the weight i was gaining. I am sitting at just under 86kg now and really would like to work on getting cut. I understand that a correct diet is essential along with cardio in order to get cut. I am not huge, nor even big, but i would like what muscles i have gained over the past few months to be defined. I have read a few different threads and the suggested diets, but like probably alot of people out there i don't have time for all of the suggested meals (6 i think there are).

I was hoping there might be somebody out there who could help me with a diet to achieve what i am looking at doing, but tailored slightly because i just don't have time for the 6 proper meals.

My current diet, meals are as follow. Note: They do tend to vary.

Meal 1, Breakfast
    2 slices of toast, 1 bowl of fruit, Protein/Carb Shake (with milk)

Snack
    I usually have a Protein/Carb shake (with milk)

Meal 2, Lunch
    Protein/Carb shake (with milk), 1 bread roll, either 1 bowl of pasta, 1 steak, 1 chicken fillet often with rice, 1 banana, 10 roasted almonds

Meal 3
    1 piece of fruit or a Protein/Carb bar

Meal 4, Dinner
    Always varies, i usually try to eat as much lean meat as i can though because dinner is always after a workout. Also, 10 roasted almonds

Meal 5
    Protein/Carb shake (with milk) followed by a glass of juice and the supplements i am taking. Glutamine, Creatine.

Lastly, 1 tablespoon of Flax Oil before bed (Mm yum!)

I feel it is important to add, i usually snack on Protein or Carb bars/Protein shakes in between meals because i think of it as a quick meal; a make-up meal because i don't have time for a proper meal. I have also started having my Protein and Carb shakes with water instead of milk.

I would be greatful if anyone could suggest ways to improve my diet in order for me to get a more cut look. Whether it is relevant or helpful i will include my current workout (only adding cardio which i use the Cross trainer for and legs this previous week).

Mon - Back/Bi's and 45mins of cardio
    Tues - Chest/Tri's and 45 mins of cardio
    Weds - Shoulders/Bi's
    Thurs - Legs
    Fri - Alternate between Chest/Back/Shoulders depending on the week/Bi's and 45mins of cardio.

Tuesday through to Sunday i usually allow 15-20 minutes to work on Abs and core strength.

Any advice on how i can optimise what i am doing with help from my diet? After reading that a diet is 80% of weightlifting, i would like to get it right, and keep to it.

Thanks
    Hld
    Last edited by Friend; 12-04-2008 at 10:46 PM. Reason: illiterate

AdamGH is offline Senior Member
    whats your height, age and you said you weigh 86kg?

fit4ever180 is offline Member
    Ditto^^^

also, why is it your meals are restricted to 5 per day? You have a lot of shakes in there too. You should try to limit them as much as possible and stick to whole foods... What are your portion sizes? It would be much easier to help you if you could provide a macro breakdown (calories/protein/carbs/fat) per meal and daily totals...

AdamGH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fit4ever180 View Post
    Ditto^^^

also, why is it your meals are restricted to 5 per day? You have a lot of shakes in there too. You should try to limit them as much as possible and stick to whole foods... What are your portion sizes? It would be much easier to help you if you could provide a macro breakdown (calories/protein/carbs/fat) per meal and daily totals...
    ya, forgot to add that. help us help you

Height: 6'3
    Weight: 86kg

My meals are restricted due to work, and i work 5 days a week. The 2 days a week i don't work i try to eat properly, ie. proper meals instead of shakes/bars. If i gave an average of macros i would only be guessing. Are there any good sites or information you would be able to link me where i can find out how much each food group contains and how to add up each?

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGH View Post
    ya, forgot to add that. help us help you
    It's all good... We're all here to back each other up

Quote Originally Posted by hLd^ View Post
    Height: 6'3
    Weight: 86kg

My meals are restricted due to work, and i work 5 days a week. The 2 days a week i don't work i try to eat properly, ie. proper meals instead of shakes/bars. If i gave an average of macros i would only be guessing. Are there any good sites or information you would be able to link me where i can find out how much each food group contains and how to add up each?
    I use nutritiondata.com for my nutrient calculations...

What kind of job do you have? I'm not trying to offend, but I find it hard to believe that you have to incorporate that many shakes into your day and cannot make time to eat... Please educate me here...

Also, any idea what your BF% is at?

With your other stats you've provided and using 15% as a guess based on how you describe your physique, your BMR would be 3512 calories per day, so if you want to do a full on cutting diet, I'd shoot for about 3200-3300 and make sure you get in some cardio... If you want to do a lean bulk (drop BF slower, but still gain more mass), then I would go about 200-300 over maintenance and still do the cardio...
    Last edited by fit4ever180; 12-05-2008 at 04:23 AM.

Awesome, i am checking out nutritiondata.com now and there is alot of helpful stuff here. No offence taken, i am a butcher. It's not so much my job that restricts my eating, but my middle to old age Italian bosses lol. Long story, but anyway, i am beginning Scaffolding in the new year which should allow for much more flexibility in eating hours and the amount i am able to eat at any time during the day.

I'm not sure what my bf % is, how do i find this out? Also, BMR refers to my body's requirements? (i apologise but this is all still new to me). And lastly, i had trouble understanding this,
    With your other stats you've provided and using 15% as a guess based on how you describe your physique, your BMR would be 3512 calories per day, so if you want to do a full on cutting diet, I'd shoot for about 3200-3300 and make sure you get in some cardio... If you want to do a lean bulk (drop BF slower, but still gain more mass), then I would go about 200-300 over maintenance and still do the cardio...
    I would still like to gain as much mass as i can, as i am still in the beginning stages. By over maintenance, do you mean i should be aiming for about 3700 calories per day? I am a little confused. Also, is cardio 3 times per week enough? If not how many days should i dedicate 45mins to cardio work to see these results?

sizerp is offline Banned
    Awesome, i am checking out nutritiondata.com now and there is alot of helpful stuff here. No offence taken, i am a butcher. It's not so much my job that restricts my eating, but my middle to old age Italian bosses lol. Long story, but anyway, i am beginning Scaffolding in the new year which should allow for much more flexibility in eating hours and the amount i am able to eat at any time during the day.

I'm not sure what my bf % is, how do i find this out? Also, BMR refers to my body's requirements? (i apologise but this is all still new to me). And lastly, i had trouble understanding this,

I would still like to gain as much mass as i can, as i am still in the beginning stages. By over maintenance, do you mean i should be aiming for about 3700 calories per day? I am a little confused. Also, is cardio 3 times per week enough? If not how many days should i dedicate 45mins to cardio work to see these results?

(BMR) Basal Metabolic Rate - The amount of fuel (from foods) your body burns naturally, regardless of your activity level. When you deprive yourself of fuel your BMR also decreases. Cardio increases your BMR. I would recommend a lean bulk for you as well. You seem to have a decent workout in rotation for building muscle, and I agree your diet needs improvement to achieve your goals.

BMR 3500 + 1000 = 4500Kcal. PRO 32%/CARB 48%/FAT 20%

Which is roughly PRO 360g/CARB 517g/FAT 100g

Broken down into 8 solid meals + (PWO Shake)

PRO/CARB/FAT

MEAL 1:
    360g/8 = 45g PRO
    517g/8 = 64g CARB
    100g/8 = 12g FAT.

MEAL 2:
    45g PRO
    64g CARB
    12g FAT.
    ETC ETC>>

Recommended fuel:

(PRO): Chicken, Tunafish, Eggs/Egg Whites, WHEY, MILK, Low Fat Cottage Cheese.

(CARB): Oats (Quaker, Steel Cut), Brown Rice, Sweet Potato, Whole Wheat Pasta.

(FAT): Natural Peanut Butter, Essential Fatty Acids (EFA)... Flax Oil, Fish Oil, Olive Oil, Sesame... etc...

Preparing foods such as Brown Rice and Chicken can be done for 2-3 days in advanced. I throw meals together for on the go. Shakes are great for PWO nutrition, and that is another issue all together. This is a great discussion. http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...74#post4262674
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by sizerp; 12-07-2008 at 04:30 AM.

I'm not sure what my bf % is, how do i find this out? Also, BMR refers to my body's requirements? (i apologise but this is all still new to me). And lastly, i had trouble understanding this, You can ask a trainer at your gym if they will do a caliper test or try and find a place that does hydrostatic testing... These are the 2 most accurate methods...

[QUOTE/]With your other stats you've provided and using 15% as a guess based on how you describe your physique, your BMR would be 3512 calories per day, so if you want to do a full on cutting diet, I'd shoot for about 3200-3300 and make sure you get in some cardio... If you want to do a lean bulk (drop BF slower, but still gain more mass), then I would go about 200-300 over maintenance and still do the cardio...[QUOTE/]

If you're looking for pure mass, I'd take in somewhere between 4000 and 4200 calories per day... Cardio 3 times per week should be sufficient to keep fat gains in check, but only you will be able to determine this

fit4ever180, thanks for your continued patience you have helped alot. And thanks also sizerp, that is exactly the kind of reply i was looking for. You guys have been a great help, thankyou

Thread Information