gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~

Strength increases but little hypertrophy?

I wasn't sure where to post this, and most of my mates hang around the diet section, so I hope nobody minds!

I've been comparing pics of me from last year to current, and being as honest and objective about myself as possible, I really do not see much of a change. Overall mass has increased a bit, but there is nothing popping out that wasn't there last year. I feel like I still have the look of a guy who's been working out for 6 months, meanwhile it's going on 2 years.

Now, strength is another story. All lifts have increased substantially. Little over a year ago I couldn't do 1 pull up without weight assistance, now I can rep out 8 with a 45lb plate hanging from my waist. Yet, lats show no visible signs of growth.

I used to dumbell shoulder press 45's, i'm now using 75's, yet shoulders look almost identical to last year.

I'm just wondering if this info reveals something specific that i'm doing which would cause strength increases, but very little hypertrophy. I would like to correct it ASAP, because to be honest I don't care if i'm the weakest guy in the guy, i'm in this to get the body I want.

Let me know what you think, i'm out of options and don't know what else to do!

NVR2BIG1 is offline Banned
    I'm not sure what your stats are, but there definitely comes a point where strength increases do not directly correlate to muscle hypertrophy. Some of these guys walking around at 275 lbs lean are probably curling with less weight than you use. I often wondered this myself, I'd ask myself all the time why this huge monster in the gym is using 15 lb dumbbells for lateral raises, and I'm using 40's, yet hes huge and I'm not. 3 major reasons for this #1- genetics #2- chemicals/food in your body #3- the way you train. Are you going to the gym and going for a new best lift a lot? Or is there a day where the heaviest you get on bench press is 225 lbs, but you squeeze every rep like its the only rep of the set? When you curl that dumbbell are you flexing that bicep like you want it to burst on each rep, treating each rep like its the only one and needs to be perfect? Dont look at a set like 1,2,3,4,5,6 quick arrrgggghh 7, urrrggghhh 8, urrrrgrghhh 9................................................1 0. You need to start with rep 1 like its rep 10, make a light weight feel hard. My goal is not to get to 150 lb dumbbells for chest press, its to make the 80's feel just as hard as the 150's, and the only way to do this is squeeze, flex, contract. Training like this will make your muscles pop out more, and eventually you'll be using heavy weights with the same squeeze, rather than each day "lifting weights" But aside from this, and your nutrition, there does come a point where you either have the chemicals to keep growing or you dont. But with 2 yrs training, I think you can do much much more.

Thanks for the reply bro. To answer your questions, I feel I workout with a relatively intense approach. I don't just go in there and push weights around. I get pumped, and I try to put everything into it. I've always tried to take each set to failure.

I just changed course a couple of weeks ago and am trying a new approach, more of a high frequency training entailing total body workouts. Basically an upper body push, and upper body pull, and some form of squat or deadlift, 3 times a week (not the same exercises each workout). I'm hoping this major change in my routine (i've always done typical split routines) will spark some growth.

This just came up as I stumbled on some photos of me from last year and it bugged me. I see guys on here posting progress pics of 4 months and their changes are way more noticable than mine are in a year. Disheartening to say the least.

NVR2BIG1 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Thanks for the reply bro. To answer your questions, I feel I workout with a relatively intense approach. I don't just go in there and push weights around. I get pumped, and I try to put everything into it. I've always tried to take each set to failure.

I just changed course a couple of weeks ago and am trying a new approach, more of a high frequency training entailing total body workouts. Basically an upper body push, and upper body pull, and some form of squat or deadlift, 3 times a week (not the same exercises each workout). I'm hoping this major change in my routine (i've always done typical split routines) will spark some growth.

This just came up as I stumbled on some photos of me from last year and it bugged me. I see guys on here posting progress pics of 4 months and their changes are way more noticable than mine are in a year. Disheartening to say the least.

Some of the guys posting photos have different circumstances. It might be their first time seriously dieting or eating adequate calories and protein. Some of them may be using something your not. I totally relate to what your dealing with, in the past 10 yrs in the gym I've put 1/2" on my arms, think about that for a second. 10 yrs in the gym for 1/2" My suit size 11 yrs ago was a 48, its now a 52, only 2 suit sizes in 11 years!! The longer you've been involved with the gym the harder it gets because your constantly pushing the envelope a little more, and eventually it gets so extreme that you cannot possibly push the envelope to that extreme all the time. If that were the case most guys would be doing 3-4 contests/yr instead of 1 or 2!! I think your on the right path, just change your plan of attack and try that for a little while. Best of luck to you

Quote Originally Posted by NVR2BIG1 View Post
    Some of the guys posting photos have different circumstances. It might be their first time seriously dieting or eating adequate calories and protein. Some of them may be using something your not. I totally relate to what your dealing with, in the past 10 yrs in the gym I've put 1/2" on my arms, think about that for a second. 10 yrs in the gym for 1/2" My suit size 11 yrs ago was a 48, its now a 52, only 2 suit sizes in 11 years!! The longer you've been involved with the gym the harder it gets because your constantly pushing the envelope a little more, and eventually it gets so extreme that you cannot possibly push the envelope to that extreme all the time. If that were the case most guys would be doing 3-4 contests/yr instead of 1 or 2!! I think your on the right path, just change your plan of attack and try that for a little while. Best of luck to you
    Thanks again man, this is really helpful actually and puts things a bit into perspective. I just need to stick to the program and give it a fair chance... let's see what I can accomplish on it!

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    NVR2BIG has already said everything I could have possibly provided.

To reiterate some key points - sooner or later the growth will occur. For now, take comfort in the fact that your joints and tendons must be doing a good bit of work and have clearly strengthened a lot.

Thread Information