p4blo27 is offline New Member

Post Need to Eat More - Where? How?

Hi Guys,

Been looking at my diet recently and trying to change it to get the right balance of macros etc.

STATS

27 years old
    168 pounds
    5'9
    BMR - 1796
    TDEE - 2470
    Lean Weight - 145 pounds / 66kg

Basically i went for a 50 / 30 / 20 split with 50% protein, 30% carbs and 20% fats based on a 2200 calorie a day diet (a deficit on TDEE to try and drop some fat)

The split above equates to 1100 calories from protein, 660 calories from carbs and 440 calories from fats. However, i recorded everything im eating in terms of portion sizes and break down of the macros and i seriously cant think of what else to included as im coming way below my targets....

This is todays intake...

8am - 40g of rolled oats made with 280 ml water. 50g of blueberries and a teaspoon of canderel (splenda) to sweeten.

10am - Double proteing shake. 2 x 34g servings with 400ml of water giving 48g of protein.

12pm - full tin of tuna with 3 slices of wholemeal bread. 2 slices of tomatoe, 2 slices of cucumber, handful of shredded lettuce and handful of grated carrot to make sandwiches.

2pm - full tin of tuna with one slice of wholemeal bread.

4pm - one serving of protein shake made with 200ml of water

6pm - chicken breast with 50g serving of fusilli wholewheat pasta.

9.30pm - PWO - one serving of protein shake with 200ml of water.

before bed - 30g of blanched almonds.

This results in 1765 calories with 211g protein, 131g of carbs and 40g of fats. I cant for the life of me cram anymore food into me.....

Any ideas for that extra 500 calories without bloating myself would be muchly appreciated...

thanks

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by p4blo27 View Post
    Hi Guys,

Been looking at my diet recently and trying to change it to get the right balance of macros etc.

STATS

27 years old
    168 pounds
    5'9
    BMR - 1796
    TDEE - 2470
    Lean Weight - 145 pounds / 66kg

Basically i went for a 50 / 30 / 20 split with 50% protein, 30% carbs and 20% fats based on a 2200 calorie a day diet (a deficit on TDEE to try and drop some fat)

The split above equates to 1100 calories from protein, 660 calories from carbs and 440 calories from fats. However, i recorded everything im eating in terms of portion sizes and break down of the macros and i seriously cant think of what else to included as im coming way below my targets....

This is todays intake...

8am - 40g of rolled oats made with 280 ml water. 50g of blueberries and a teaspoon of canderel (splenda) to sweeten.

First meal, first mistake. Where's the protein? Add 2 whole eggs, 6-8 whites. That'll up your kcal by 200 or better already

10am - Double proteing shake. 2 x 34g servings with 400ml of water giving 48g of protein.

Why here? If anything, have a shake immediately upon waking. Other than that, replace it here with real food - lean protein + complex carb

12pm - full tin of tuna with 3 slices of wholemeal bread. 2 slices of tomatoe, 2 slices of cucumber, handful of shredded lettuce and handful of grated carrot to make sandwiches.

Not the greatest carb choice, usually highly processed. Try to use Ezekiel bread. Drop the carrots due to sugar content

2pm - full tin of tuna with one slice of wholemeal bread.

Same as above

4pm - one serving of protein shake made with 200ml of water

Again, replace this with real food. Lean protein + complex carb

6pm - chicken breast with 50g serving of fusilli wholewheat pasta.

Another poor carb choice. Try for something cleaner like sweet potato, yam, lentils/beans, oats, etc

9.30pm - PWO - one serving of protein shake with 200ml of water.

Fine here since it's PWO

before bed - 30g of blanched almonds.

Again, no protein source! Every meal should contain protein, ESPECIALLY before you go to bed and will be catabolic all night. Go with casein protein shake, cottage cheese, or a lean steak. If you go with casein, add a tbsp of natty PB to help slow absorption of the protein

This results in 1765 calories with 211g protein, 131g of carbs and 40g of fats. I cant for the life of me cram anymore food into me.....

Any ideas for that extra 500 calories without bloating myself would be muchly appreciated...

thanks
    There's ALOT you can and should change about your diet. Half of it is shakes which is a bad idea to begin with. Then you have incomplete meals - one with just carbs, one with just fats, etc. Also, I don't see a single serving of veggies. Add green veggies to as many meals as possible - green beans, asparagus, spinach, broccoli, kale, etc - all good choices.

Suggestions above in bold - implement ASAP! This one was easy!

Nice. Thanks for the input. Ill implement those changes starting with the meals tonight pre and post work out.

One question tho in regards to protein shakes - whey protein is broken down by the body and the aminos available within about 20-30 mins whereas stuff like chicken and fish etc takes 6-7 hours - is it better for the prolonged process or is it beneficial to have those amino acids immediately?

Or, is it because its after a work out the aminos are needed for muscle repair etc that its good to have the shake immediately after a work out?!?

Nice. Thanks for the input. Ill implement those changes starting with the meals tonight pre and post work out.

One question tho in regards to protein shakes - whey protein is broken down by the body and the aminos available within about 20-30 mins whereas stuff like chicken and fish etc takes 6-7 hours - is it better for the prolonged process or is it beneficial to have those amino acids immediately?

Or, is it because its after a work out the aminos are needed for muscle repair etc that its good to have the shake immediately after a work out?!?
    IMO, whey shakes are only useful 1st thing in the morning, and PWO. First thing upon waking because you've been sleeping all night and are probably catabolic - so a whey shake will ensure your body gets a quick blast of protein.

It's the widely accepted choice PWO for the same reason (fast absorption) while your muscles are starved for nutrients and protein uptake and systhesis is heightened. It's a very anabolic timeframe and you want that quick protein. It should be followed by a whole food meal shortly thereafter.

The remainder of the day (with the exception of before bed where a casein shake is acceptable) should be comprised of a variety of proteins, which will all have different assimilation/digestion times. Chicken, fish, beef, eggs, etc.

Hope this helps.

Spot on mate.. Good info, thanks

btw, i seen your post earlier about the BF % drop and the cardio. I hate cardio too but dont give in. Youve clearly got the knowledge and the determination so just whack that cardio out for the extra two days. im sure youll see the results

btw, i seen your post earlier about the BF % drop and the cardio. I hate cardio too but dont give in. Youve clearly got the knowledge and the determination so just whack that cardio out for the extra two days. im sure youll see the results

LoL thanks bro, I know you and the others are right about cardio - I guess i'm just hoping somebody will give me a magic answer and tell me what I want to hear!

Blog Entries
    bro if you have to use shakes instead of food for whatever reason try mixing them with lowfat milk so its at least close to a meal replacement...like others have said whey in water is quik digesting where as the milk will slow down the digestion prosses to some degree and make it closer to a meal...its what i do in a pinch...otherwise whole food is the way to go if you can....

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    LoL thanks bro, I know you and the others are right about cardio - I guess i'm just hoping somebody will give me a magic answer and tell me what I want to hear!
    Afraid not my man, cardio is my strong point (altho i hate it). i play alot of cardiovascular sports and used to run for Great Britain boys so i can jump on a treadmill and run and run and run. But its so boring, trying to mix it up with rowing, and cross training, stairmaster etc but im just not feeling it.

Its the weights routines im struggling with and trying to sort out a routing as its new to me. Just get that cardio smashed and youll see the BF drop off.
    take it easy

Quote Originally Posted by ghettoboyd View Post
    bro if you have to use shakes instead of food for whatever reason try mixing them with lowfat milk so its at least close to a meal replacement...like others have said whey in water is quik digesting where as the milk will slow down the digestion prosses to some degree and make it closer to a meal...its what i do in a pinch...otherwise whole food is the way to go if you can....
    Thanks for the advice. Im gonna try and cut out the sahkes and limit them to first thing or PWO.

I just assumed because they were fast acting and the aminos were available pretty much right away it was the way to go. But i guess at times of sitting at work etc my body doesnt need it right away.

Its not a problem preparing steak and fish and taking tuna etc to work so ill try that.

Afraid not my man, cardio is my strong point (altho i hate it). i play alot of cardiovascular sports and used to run for Great Britain boys so i can jump on a treadmill and run and run and run. But its so boring, trying to mix it up with rowing, and cross training, stairmaster etc but im just not feeling it.

Its the weights routines im struggling with and trying to sort out a routing as its new to me. Just get that cardio smashed and youll see the BF drop off.
    take it easy
    Thanks bro. I'm the exact opposite - I can hit the weights all day (not that I do, that'd be pretty counter productive) but can only hang in for about 30 mins of cardio.... I either get winded or just want to commit suicide due to boredom...

Thread Information