Dan111 is offline Associate Member

Question about carbs before bed

If I'm trying to put on as much lean mass as possible, is it a good or bad idea to have carbs before sleeping?

Typically my last 2 meals contain very little carbs (chicken & broccoli for #5 and then Casein & Natural PB for #6 before sleep). If I am trying to put on lean mass, should I stick to this, or should I think about adding in some carbs? Whether it's brown rice, oats, etc.

Thanks!

($20 says Gbrice answers first)

TRT2010 is offline Member
    looks like that 20.00 goes to me friend

but you didn't actually answer my question, lol

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    LoL sorry I cost you $20 bro, I was busy having the time of my life taking my mother out for her birthday. Just me and her.... joy.

Anyway, I think carbs before bed is a bad idea no matter what. A few grams is fine, but you already get that from say a casein shake and a tbsp or 2 of natty PB.

I wouldn't intentionally eat carbs before bed under the logic that you're trying to add mass. They will very likely be stored as fat since there is little need for energy while you sleep, plus you're already eating fat with it, so you increase the risk of THAT being stored too.

Bad idea IMO.... just my .02 !!

I_Want_Abs is offline Senior Member
    Everyones different and it depends on what carbs you are eating and what the rest of your diet looks like.

I would not recommend anything other than broccoli, green beans or spinach if you wished to eat carbs before bed.

My pre bed meal from my cutting diet (which has carbs in it)...

70g chicken breast
    3 x whole eggs
    100g broccoli

All cooked up in a frying pan like an omelet. About 45g pro, 7g carbs, 15g fats.

Quote Originally Posted by I_Want_Abs View Post
    Everyones different and it depends on what carbs you are eating and what the rest of your diet looks like.

I would not recommend anything other than broccoli, green beans or spinach if you wished to eat carbs before bed.

My pre bed meal from my cutting diet (which has carbs in it)...

70g chicken breast
    3 x whole eggs
    100g broccoli

All cooked up in a frying pan like an omelet. About 45g pro, 7g carbs, 15g fats.
    I would agree with this - if you were to intentionally eat carbs before bed, make it fiberous carbs.

Having said that, who the fvck wants to eat veggies before bed? Besides you abs...

ok, sounds like I will continue to keep carbs out of my last 2 meals (except for the broccoli and other trace carbs), thanks!
    Last edited by Dan111; 09-05-2010 at 03:28 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    I would agree with this - if you were to intentionally eat carbs before bed, make it fiberous carbs.

Having said that, who the fvck wants to eat veggies before bed? Besides you abs...
    Hey, don't knock the veggies before bed mate hahahah...

About 70% of my daily carb allotment is from green veggies. The rest is pretty much from grapefruit and blueberries.

Quote Originally Posted by I_Want_Abs View Post
    Hey, don't knock the veggies before bed mate hahahah...

About 70% of my daily carb allotment is from green veggies. The rest is pretty much from grapefruit and blueberries.
    Same here - I eat 50g of oats and 1/2 cup of blueberries over my first 2 meals of the day (also happen to be my pre and post workout meals), and then the rest of the day is filled with veggies.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    Same here - I eat 50g of oats and 1/2 cup of blueberries over my first 2 meals of the day (also happen to be my pre and post workout meals), and then the rest of the day is filled with veggies.
    I like your style! Veggies are where it's at....

Thread Information