Flix is offline New Member

Olive Oil verse Canola Oil

When I make my protein shakes sometimes I like to add oil to get some fat in them. Last week when I ran out of Olive Oil I was super broke so I bought some canola oil instead of olive oil like I usually do cause it was so much cheaper.

My question is why do people usually say that olive oil is better than canola oil for putting in shakes? Olive oil I usually get has 14g fat per serving with 2g saturated fat, 1.5g polyunsaturated, and 10g monounsaturated. The canola oil has 1g unsaturated, 4g polyunsaturated, and 9g monounsatured.

So to me they seem really simular. What makes olive oil better?

Damienm05 is offline Productive Member
    Well, there's nothing wrong with Canola oil, it's a good fat source. Now, compared to extra virgin olive oil, I will answer your question as to why it's better:

Despite the same broad classification of good and bad fats, the specifics can vary considerably. In this case, Canola oil is comprised of very long-chain fatty acids which reduces the bioavailabilty/direct health benefits of the food.

Canola is also heavily processed to negate the plant's natural euric acid levels. I don't know all the facts but apparently this causes potential for conversion to trans when heated directly. Need to research.
    Last edited by Damienm05; 03-21-2011 at 10:07 PM.

Oh thanks man. So canola really isn't as bad as I thought then. Cool.

n00bs is offline Member
    Add coconut oil..

I imagine if he's using canola oil, EV coconut oil isn't in the budget.

I don't know how much coconut oil is, but if its more than olive oil I'm sure it would be too much for me. Ill check next time I go shopping tho thanks.

I get the organic extra virgin cold-pressed shit and it's like $30.00 for a tub of 40 servings. I'm sure you could find better prices online but I like supporting the local family-owned health food store. The benefit of this type of coconut oil is the high bio-availability matched only by sprouted almonds in terms of conversion to energy. Very short MCFAs. I also shave with it and have noticed much better skin/no razor bumps. But regardless, good fats are good fats and you won't substantially increase your gains/losses by simply using coconut oil over another source. It's best to have a wide veriety of fat sources in ones diet including saturated via MCFAs and animal fat, DHA, and poly/monounsaturates.

Thread Information