particularly_another is offline Junior Member

How to eat to lose fat and save muscle mass while on GH???

the gh has been making me lose size incredibly all over, i havent even been doing cardio for a few weeks up until last week and now i can fit size 30 jeans, i was size 36 before in slim jeans.

the one thing thats really getting me down is that im losing mass all over, except that I still have a muffin top!! its pissing me off cuz i dun mind losing the mass all over but my muffin top hangs over my size 30 waist now..

i started doing cardio last week for the first time, 40 mins on a stationary bike every morning.. i was following a 4-500 grams of carbs a day while still losing so much weight every except my gut, now im trying this week a lower carb diet instead with most of my meals now consisting of just vegies and meat..

I know the gh is working, i get compliments on my face looking younger and Everyone notices how much smaller im looking, in my face and overall size but i still have my gut thats taking a bit of time to lose. its smaller than before thats for sure but I thought fat loss would start in the stomach first no?

on some days before i get so frustrated and mad when my shirts dont fit like the way it did before, i was able to fill in L or xl shirts n making it look small now i just look like my shirts are too big. When the days i get frustrated on thinkin im getting so small, i go out on a crazy cheat meal binge cuz i think the gh is working like crazy and i can eat dirty n still lose weight.

im really stuck in a rut here, should i go back n continue eating Higher carbs, higher protein, and still lose the stomach?? or should i go on a lower carb diet in order to hit the stored fat in my stomache but im losing soo much mass in my chest arms but my stomach is taking forever!

im still trying to figure out how to eat while im on gh cuz i hear many stories how pplz eat dirty n still have abs but then i hear u gotta have a clean diet this and that while on gh blah blah

whats all this mean ? help please!!

i just read sumtin , do u guys think its cuz i didnt add t4 is the reason why my belly fat is not going down compared to everywhere else?

Alot of people store fat in certain areas that are the 1st place they gain fat and the last place they lose it. These are the "stubborn" areas everyone always talks about, usually the lower abs and love handle area for men.

The only way to lose fat from these areas is to become extremely lean everywhere, ie. get you body fat % very low as this is the last place you will lose fat from.

Your diet seems like it could definitely use an overhaul, you should choose a well planned out diet and stick to it until you need to make adjustments.

500g of carbs a day while cutting? What are your stats?

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Agree with above. I have fat on my abs and chest...and it is taking a lot of work to get it gone. Definitely have the nutrition guys take a look at your diet. And up your cardio. God, I hate cardio, but I have upped mine to one hour to try and lean out as much as possible by the end of the year.

I have been eating a 60/20/20 diet and have been holding my muscle (even adding slowly) as I lose fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Hartman View Post
    Alot of people store fat in certain areas that are the 1st place they gain fat and the last place they lose it. These are the "stubborn" areas everyone always talks about, usually the lower abs and love handle area for men.

The only way to lose fat from these areas is to become extremely lean everywhere, ie. get you body fat % very low as this is the last place you will lose fat from.

Your diet seems like it could definitely use an overhaul, you should choose a well planned out diet and stick to it until you need to make adjustments.

500g of carbs a day while cutting? What are your stats?
    i was doing the 60/30/10 diet of carbs/protein/fat.. i would eat about 100-120 of grams of brown rice carbs per meal, and i would consume 30 grams virtargo preworkout, 30 grams of carbs during workout, 30 grams of dextrose after workout.. it wasnt all the days i would eat 500, i think i would eat 3 meals of brown rice in it plus carbs around my workout so i think it was mainly 400 grams of carbs

i was definitely losing weight on that diet, but now it seems im losing my mass as well but not the stomach! u r right its in my lower abs and love handles where its giving me probs!!

im about 17 percent body fat , im not sure how to counter this problem or unless all the mass i had was just pure water n fat?? i started at 20 percent

my goal was trying to lose the fat only and still preserve my ass at the same time .. just started a test prop cycle yesterday hopefully if i cut down more calories and go on a lower carb diet it mite work bettter?

today i did 80grams of brown rice carbs when i woke up after my fasting cardio, waited an hour half took 35 grams vitargo, went to the gym took another 35 while i was working out, and 35 grams pwo, then i got home n ate an hour later consuming about 50 grams of carbs, the rest of the i will do just meat n veggies

do u think i can still lose the fat off this? should i go on an even lower carb diet of 150? i just feel like when i go too low i drop soo much mass n weight as i believe in staying high carb but going this way could prolly not work in my situation.. what do u think

I forget your stats, but I am 5' 10" 195 pounds with BF in the high teens (down from 36.8% at the beginning of the year - I have lost 40 pounds of fat). I have been cutting for a while at 1800 calories and have stabilized at 195 pounds, but continue to slowly gain muscle and lose fat. I am upping cardio to try and lost the fat faster. You can compare that to what you are doing. It sounds like you eat a lot of carbs. I only eat between 70 and 80 grams of carbs PER DAY.

You should probably put your normal diet up in the nutrition section and let those guys point you in the right direction. Diet makes a huge difference, and there is no use in sticking chemicals in your body if you don't set things up right to accomplish your goals.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyVegas View Post
    I forget your stats, but I am 5' 10" 195 pounds with BF in the high teens (down from 36.8% at the beginning of the year - I have lost 40 pounds of fat). I have been cutting for a while at 1800 calories and have stabilized at 195 pounds, but continue to slowly gain muscle and lose fat. I am upping cardio to try and lost the fat faster. You can compare that to what you are doing. It sounds like you eat a lot of carbs. I only eat between 70 and 80 grams of carbs PER DAY.

You should probably put your normal diet up in the nutrition section and let those guys point you in the right direction. Diet makes a huge difference, and there is no use in sticking chemicals in your body if you don't set things up right to accomplish your goals.
    isnt this the diet section?? lol should i transfer everything to there? sorry i was trying to look for the diet section and i thought this was it cuz i saw stickys on how to cut..

70-80 a day seems hella low for me and i did a low to nothing carb diet and i felt like it made me flat n small.. carbs poof me up and makes me alot fuller n bigger

slfmade is offline Knowledgeable Member
    A few days ago I started reading a thread posted by "Top" about the CKD Diet. It's a long 18 pg read, but apparently there have been a lot of people dropping a significate amount of BF without losing much if any muscle. At worst it would be a interesting read for you. I don't have my 25 post in yet so maybe somebody can post up the link.

I have read and experienced it first hand that...Your body will lose fat in the opposite order you gained it. For instance for me I gained the weight in my stomach, then chest, then back, then face. I have lost the fat in the reverse order. So I first lost the fat in my face, then my back, then my chest, and finally my stomach. If you gainrf the weight in your stomach first and your face last....then it would make since that your face has slimmed and you're stomach still needs work as that that will most likely be the last place you'll lose it.

Wow my grammer sucked on that last post. Kind of a pet peeve of mine. My apologies! lol

Quote Originally Posted by slfmade View Post
    A few days ago I started reading a thread posted by "Top" about the CKD Diet. It's a long 18 pg read, but apparently there have been a lot of people dropping a significate amount of BF without losing much if any muscle. At worst it would be a interesting read for you. I don't have my 25 post in yet so maybe somebody can post up the link.

I have read and experienced it first hand that...Your body will lose fat in the opposite order you gained it. For instance for me I gained the weight in my stomach, then chest, then back, then face. I have lost the fat in the reverse order. So I first lost the fat in my face, then my back, then my chest, and finally my stomach. If you gainrf the weight in your stomach first and your face last....then it would make since that your face has slimmed and you're stomach still needs work as that that will most likely be the last place you'll lose it.
    omg lol ****k, the stomach is the place i wanna lose first and damn makes me sad as i think thats the case for me..

Yeah...it sucks. Keep at it though. It'll eventually come off. The only time in my life I didn't have the love handles was when I was at 11% bf. For me that the % I need to be at for no love handles. For some it may be 15% while others need to be in single digits. You will get there though if you work hard. Just remember...it doesn't happen overnight.

im not sure if this ckd thing is what i wanna do, and the workouts only seem to consist 3 days a week with a push pull routine

I'm working on a LBM Bulk right now, but I think I'm gonna give it a shot before summer. 3 days a week should be fine. You still work all your muscle groups and the last day before carb load would give you another day - Total 4. I believe you can still get up to 5 days of cardio. As I said it seems from all the post I've read people were getting great results without any or much loss in LBM.

I'll probably run it like this.

Monday - Chest/Tri
    Tuesday - Back/Bi's
    Wed - Shoulders/Legs

Friday - Full Body

I'm working on a LBM Bulk right now, but I think I'm gonna give it a shot before summer. 3 days a week should be fine. You still work all your muscle groups and the last day before carb load would give you another day - Total 4. I believe you can still get up to 5 days of cardio. As I said it seems from all the post I've read people were getting great results without any or much loss in LBM.

I'll probably run it like this.

Monday - Chest/Tri
    Tuesday - Back/Bi's
    Wed - Shoulders/Legs

Friday - Full Body
    i am a bit skeptical about ckd or ketogenic diets, i hear nuff stories how pplz never wished they did that kind of diet cuz it made them look extremely small n lost alot amount of size

Could be...But from the post I read this CKD is different than othre Keto diets due to the super low carbs in the week and crazy ass carbs over the weekend. Did you read that entire post from TOP? It seems people are losing the fat and keeping the gains. Seems worth a shot to me, but in the end it's up to you...I haven't done it, but some swear by it. I'm in no rush so if I run it and I lose my gains... I'll stop and well at least I'll know for next time.

What's your alternative?

Just a thought, but if you could get your BF% down a bit, by say 2%...maybe give a clen /T3 stack a shot. Personally I'm gonna get my bulk on then work on my diet hard. After I get down to say 12% run the clen/T3. If you don't feel confortable running that-give an ECA stack a shot. You'll feel jacked, but it'll make you want to get on the treadmill.

Man I miss the days of old school Xenadrine!!!

Quote Originally Posted by particularly_another View Post
    isnt this the diet section?? lol should i transfer everything to there? sorry i was trying to look for the diet section and i thought this was it cuz i saw stickys on how to cut.
    No, you are right. I wasn't paying attention when I typed that. I meant post up your diet and I automatically follow that with "in the nutrition section" when I type that because I am usually typing that in another section.

Sorry for the confusion...my fault.

Could be...But from the post I read this CKD is different than othre Keto diets due to the super low carbs in the week and crazy ass carbs over the weekend. Did you read that entire post from TOP? It seems people are losing the fat and keeping the gains. Seems worth a shot to me, but in the end it's up to you...I haven't done it, but some swear by it. I'm in no rush so if I run it and I lose my gains... I'll stop and well at least I'll know for next time.

What's your alternative?

Just a thought, but if you could get your BF% down a bit, by say 2%...maybe give a clen /T3 stack a shot. Personally I'm gonna get my bulk on then work on my diet hard. After I get down to say 12% run the clen/T3. If you don't feel confortable running that-give an ECA stack a shot. You'll feel jacked, but it'll make you want to get on the treadmill.

Man I miss the days of old school Xenadrine!!!
    im thinking of just adding t4 to my gh diet and i just added test prop to give a lil boost, so right now im just on test prop and gh and im trying to get a hold of the t4 ...

im not sure if i can run clen, i even think eca was tooo too much for me .. i cant even take those pre workout drinks either it just messes me up for the next day as my sleep is interrupted greatly..

im just not sure if i can feel comfortable training 3 days a week with a push pull routine lol.. my shoulders are a weak point and i rather give it at least a full days worth of intense training but the food phases seems very appealing to me tho.. is there a way he added a full 5 day routine instead?? or 4 would be okay.. mon chest tris tues back weds legs thurs shoulders bi then the saturday morning could be the carb loading ?? and mon to fri would be the keto diet???

No, you are right. I wasn't paying attention when I typed that. I meant post up your diet and I automatically follow that with "in the nutrition section" when I type that because I am usually typing that in another section.

Sorry for the confusion...my fault.
    sall good homie

im thinking of just adding t4 to my gh diet and i just added test prop to give a lil boost, so right now im just on test prop and gh and im trying to get a hold of the t4 ...

im not sure if i can run clen , i even think eca was tooo too much for me .. i cant even take those pre workout drinks either it just messes me up for the next day as my sleep is interrupted greatly..

im just not sure if i can feel comfortable training 3 days a week with a push pull routine lol.. my shoulders are a weak point and i rather give it at least a full days worth of intense training but the food phases seems very appealing to me tho.. is there a way he added a full 5 day routine instead?? or 4 would be okay.. mon chest tris tues back weds legs thurs shoulders bi then the saturday morning could be the carb loading ?? and mon to fri would be the keto diet???
    Umm...not sure if that would work. Go hit up the thread and ask if you could vary it like that and get the same results. Again I am hardly an expert...it'd be best to ask someone that has first hand knowledge.

Side note: I know there's no such thing as a stupid question, but it seems he keeps getting a lot of questions that he's already mention 100 times and could be getting a little testy. So read the post really well and make sure you don't ask something he's clearly already answer in his original post.

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    i was doing the 60/30/10 diet of carbs/protein/fat.. i would eat about 100-120 of grams of brown rice carbs per meal, and i would consume 30 grams virtargo preworkout, 30 grams of carbs during workout, 30 grams of dextrose after workout.. it wasnt all the days i would eat 500, i think i would eat 3 meals of brown rice in it plus carbs around my workout so i think it was mainly 400 grams of carbs

i was definitely losing weight on that diet, but now it seems im losing my mass as well but not the stomach! u r right its in my lower abs and love handles where its giving me probs!!

im about 17 percent body fat , im not sure how to counter this problem or unless all the mass i had was just pure water n fat?? i started at 20 percent

my goal was trying to lose the fat only and still preserve my ass at the same time .. just started a test prop cycle yesterday hopefully if i cut down more calories and go on a lower carb diet it mite work bettter?

today i did 80grams of brown rice carbs when i woke up after my fasting cardio, waited an hour half took 35 grams vitargo, went to the gym took another 35 while i was working out, and 35 grams pwo, then i got home n ate an hour later consuming about 50 grams of carbs, the rest of the i will do just meat n veggies

do u think i can still lose the fat off this? should i go on an even lower carb diet of 150? i just feel like when i go too low i drop soo much mass n weight as i believe in staying high carb but going this way could prolly not work in my situation.. what do u think
    Bro you really need to post up a detailed diet for some of the vets to tweek. What I have bolded above let's me know that you really need some help if lean mass is what you are after. First off, 100-120g of carbs (even though it is from brown rice) is what to much in one sitting...try cutting that in half 40-50g per sitting. Second no need to consume carbs during your workout as long as you have had a proper pre workout meal (roughly 40g protein/40-50g low GI carbs). Thirdly, there are far better choices in pwo nutrition then dextrose...throw out what you have heard about simple carbs pwo (especially when lean mass is desired). You will be far better off consuming 40-50g protein/50g carbs (I prefer oats) in your pwo meal. My pwo meal consist of 50g whey protein, 1/2 banana, and 1/2 cup of oats...I use the blender to grind up oats and store them in a container in my workout bag so I can just throw them in my shake right after my workout. Hope this helps bro!

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    hey part welcome to the forum man.. ive been on here 2 months and with the help of these guys lost 19lbs of fat.. im eating 59%protein/19%carb/22%fat diet and its working great! the thing that stands out to me with u is 500g carbs!! that seems crazy.. i dont know anything about GH but i wouldnt think itd make ur body immune to the effect of carbs...

u said u think ur around 17% bf.. i say find out for sure what it is.. it would make sense to me that ur diet would be similar to mine in the sense that we both have the same goals..(losing fat and preserving LBM)...

im sure some other guys will chime in but in the mean time it seems as though u need to:
    1.get ur bodyfat chekd
    2.post ur stats (age weight bf lbm)
    3.post ur current diet with complete macronutrient breakdown for each meal and the times u eat as well as ur workout schedule and how much cardio u plan on doing..

to lose fat and maintain muscle u need to eat low carbs and high protein and do alot of cardio (preferably in the am before u have eaten anything) and lift weights..

currently im doing am fasted cardio 5-6 days/week and lifting 4 days/week only eating 100g carbs/day and eating 300g protein/day losing bout 2lbs/week of all fat..

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Since you are concerned about losing muscle mass on gh are you 100% sure you have the real stuff?
    curious.....I sure wish gh made me smaller! Did the absolute opposite.
    Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
    Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by M302_Imola View Post
    First off, 100-120g of carbs (even though it is from brown rice) is what to much in one sitting...try cutting that in half 40-50g per sitting.
    Agreed. I was cutting at 1800 calories (which I understand now is low compared to some) and I am eating 75 grams of carbs PER DAY. You are eating more than that per meal. I am on a 60/20/20 diet.

EDIT: I just realize I already said this above. I thought it sounded familiar when I typed it. Oh well, no one can say I am not consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by M302_Imola View Post
    Bro you really need to post up a detailed diet for some of the vets to tweek. What I have bolded above let's me know that you really need some help if lean mass is what you are after. First off, 100-120g of carbs (even though it is from brown rice) is what to much in one sitting...try cutting that in half 40-50g per sitting. Second no need to consume carbs during your workout as long as you have had a proper pre workout meal (roughly 40g protein/40-50g low GI carbs). Thirdly, there are far better choices in pwo nutrition then dextrose...throw out what you have heard about simple carbs pwo (especially when lean mass is desired). You will be far better off consuming 40-50g protein/50g carbs (I prefer oats) in your pwo meal. My pwo meal consist of 50g whey protein, 1/2 banana, and 1/2 cup of oats...I use the blender to grind up oats and store them in a container in my workout bag so I can just throw them in my shake right after my workout. Hope this helps bro!
    yah i was thinking that too that i was eating too much carbs at once and i wasnt sure if i even need carbs before i worked out, during and after.. i cant have too much oats in the day as it bloats me but i can eat a banana , they taste great , but my curiosity and confusion was, if im trying to lean out the gut, do i even need to restore my glycogen stores with pw carbs??

Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    hey part welcome to the forum man.. ive been on here 2 months and with the help of these guys lost 19lbs of fat.. im eating 59%protein/19%carb/22%fat diet and its working great! the thing that stands out to me with u is 500g carbs!! that seems crazy.. i dont know anything about GH but i wouldnt think itd make ur body immune to the effect of carbs...

u said u think ur around 17% bf.. i say find out for sure what it is.. it would make sense to me that ur diet would be similar to mine in the sense that we both have the same goals..(losing fat and preserving LBM)...

im sure some other guys will chime in but in the mean time it seems as though u need to:
    1.get ur bodyfat chekd
    2.post ur stats (age weight bf lbm)
    3.post ur current diet with complete macronutrient breakdown for each meal and the times u eat as well as ur workout schedule and how much cardio u plan on doing..

to lose fat and maintain muscle u need to eat low carbs and high protein and do alot of cardio (preferably in the am before u have eaten anything) and lift weights..

currently im doing am fasted cardio 5-6 days/week and lifting 4 days/week only eating 100g carbs/day and eating 300g protein/day losing bout 2lbs/week of all fat..
    i have the body fat scale and i use the clippers, its always on and off...

Quote Originally Posted by SlimmerMe View Post
    Since you are concerned about losing muscle mass on gh are you 100% sure you have the real stuff?
    curious.....I sure wish gh made me smaller! Did the absolute opposite.
    mine is one the best brands u can get a hold of in canada right now, and my source is proper, i know its working cuz he uses it and hes massive!

im just doing 3ius a day for fat loss only, nothing else

Agreed. I was cutting at 1800 calories (which I understand now is low compared to some) and I am eating 75 grams of carbs PER DAY. You are eating more than that per meal. I am on a 60/20/20 diet.

EDIT: I just realize I already said this above. I thought it sounded familiar when I typed it. Oh well, no one can say I am not consistent.
    i changed to only 120 grams of carbs a day total , i know theres some stored body fat thats been sitting in my stomach for a long time, i havent had a lower body fat for 2 years , hopefully this low carb thing will work

Hey part i would suggest u post ur. COmplete proposed diet on here like i said before with macros and times u eat as well as ur workouts and times and how much cardio ur doing.. Just droppn ur carbs to 120 may not be as effective as it couldndepending on the type of carb and when u eat them not to mention ur protein and fat sources... I eat all my carbs in meals 1,2,& 3.. Now i workout between meals 2 & 3 so it works good for me.. The only carbs i eat r oats and sweet potato.. No fruit or dairy except lowfat cottage cheese rite before bed for protein...

old regimen

meal1
    40 grams protein from either from fish or chicken
    80-120 grams of carbs from brown rice

meal 2
    same as meal 1

an hour and 15 mins later 1 scoop vitargo, eaas, white blood pump pills

workout - sizeon with 30 grams of dextrose carbs included

post workout
    60grams of isolate with 1 scoop of vitargo (35 grams of carbs)

meal 4
    same as meal 1

mean 5
    6-8 ounce steak

meal 6 if on time
    protein shake

so if eat at 11am, ill try to eat again around 1pm but then i switched to 2pm,

new regime
    meal 1
    6 egg whites , half cup of oats

meal 2
    50 grams isolate with an apple

meal 3
    8-10 ounce of lean meat from pork fish or chicken breast with green beans 2 cups

meal 4
    cliff builder bar

meal 5
    50 grams isolate

meal 6
    same as meal 3

meal 7
    2 table spoons of natural peanut butter
    Last edited by particularly_another; 12-02-2011 at 01:10 AM.

New diet looks better. What are your new macros? How many calories are you shooting for?

[QUOTE=particularly_another;5821672]old regimen

meal1
    40 grams protein from either from fish or chicken
    80-120 grams of carbs from brown rice

meal 2
    same as meal 1

an hour and 15 mins later 1 scoop vitargo, eaas, white blood pump pills

workout - sizeon with 30 grams of dextrose carbs included

post workout
    60grams of isolate with 1 scoop of vitargo (35 grams of carbs)

meal 4
    same as meal 1

mean 5
    6-8 ounce steak

meal 6 if on time
    protein shake

so if eat at 11am, ill try to eat again around 1pm but then i switched to 2pm,

new regime
    meal 1
    6 egg whites , half cup of oats

meal 2
    50 grams isolate with an apple IF THIS IS PWO ID CHANGE THE APPLE TO SWEET POTATO OR OATS

meal 3
    8-10 ounce of lean meat from pork fish or chicken breast with green beans 2 cups

meal 4
    cliff builder bar DONT KNOW WHAT THIS IS BUT ID BET LEAN MEAT AND VEGGIES WOULD BE BETTER

meal 5
    50 grams isolate SAME IDEA AS I MENTIONED WITH MEAL 4 UNLESS PWO THEN SAME AS MEAL 2 AND HAVE
    MEAL 4 AT MEAL 2

meal 6
    same as meal 3

meal 7
    2 table spoons of natural peanut butter U MAY WANNA INCLUDE A LEAN PROTEIN WITH THE PB I LIKE COTTAGE CHEESE 2%

u also may wanna include ur macros for the day and each meal.. how much u eat depends on LBM

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Also list the times of these meals too please. Meal 2 & 5 you probably want a slower digesting protein but that depends a little bit on when the meals before and after the isolate are..

Thread Information