BodyEnglish is offline New Member

Please critique my foundation diet

I haven't started a cycle yet, but hope to do so end of this calendar year.

I have been working out for one year (with a hiatus last 6 weeks due to an injury acting up). Mainly building a strength foundation through 5x5 program. Then I tried to take some time to do a "cut", added cardio and calorie restriction, but I found that my muscle strength was decreasing, getting weak and dizzy, while my body fat content / didn't change much. Tried this for 2 months, possibly tried too drastic a cut. However, I realize I may need to work on some more strength, muscle density and possibly increase LBM before trying another cut. So here I am, going for more, prior to trying a cut again in a few months.

Stats: 37 years old, 5'7, 170 lbs, measured 17% BF. One year lifting.
    LBM = 170 X 0.85 = 145
    TDEE = 2175

Goal = Approx 2500 per day

a. Dymatize mass gainer 55p / 6f / 77c
    b. Banana 1p / 0f / 25c

a. 4 eggs, whole 28p / 20f / 0c
    b. Oatmeal 6p / 3f / 30c

a. 6 to 8oz steak 40p / 13f / 0c
    b. 1 cup brown rice 0p / 2f / 50c

a. 1 can Tuna 35p / 3f / 0c

a. Chicken Breast 30p / 5f / 0c
    b. 1 cup brown rice 0p / 2f / 50c

a. Six star nutrition Protein shake 30p / 2f/ 8c

Total 225 protein / 56 fat / 240 carbs

Cals (225 X 4) + (56 X 9) + (240 X 4) = 900+504+960 = 2364

This looks like a rough 40/20/40 P / F / C Split.

Does anyone recommend changes? What can I add to make it a round 2500?

Having trouble eating this as it stands, not sure how I'm going to pack more on if and when cycling

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    The food choices are fine with the exception of the mass gainer... definitely wouldn't be on my menu, especially for my first meal of the day. I'd go for something nutrient dense. Mass gainers are typically loaded with a ton of filler crap.

Personally i'd ditch the rice at meal 5, depending on when you workout. One stand out is the lack of veggies. I see absolutely nothing.

I don't know that i'd be eating over maintenance at 17% bodyfat... I know you're looking to add some mass but you might want to think about a straight body recomp instead. The last thing you want to do is add more bodyfat and then have to cut for months on end. Just my .02, obviously the call is yours.

largerthannormal is offline Productive Member
    Yep gbrice is right, get some vegies in there. also your too close to your tdee to really make any big changes.

also 100% agree with him on do a cutter buddy! at 17% you shouldnt be eating over your maintenance

id prolly go about 1800 and do a body recomp or a full cutter, recomp is what I am doing but I am only 12% . I cant get myself to do a full bulker as I hate the fat puffy look for those few months.

Although I am going to force myself into a cutter soon.

Also Im not a fan of bannanas unless your going to use them right after workout to replenish carbs.

over all foods are okay.

also when choosing a bulk or a cut use a nice round number like 500 or so to make adjustments. example i want to cut: 2175-500= your new calorie count

fyi when you post a macro split put it P/C/F or some people may look quick and think your way off.
    Last edited by largerthannormal; 02-07-2013 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    The food choices are fine with the exception of the mass gainer... definitely wouldn't be on my menu, especially for my first meal of the day. I'd go for something nutrient dense. Mass gainers are typically loaded with a ton of filler crap.
    Thanks for the advice, I will change that around if I can. Typically I'm sneaking out of the house at 5 am (kids are sleeping) and want to do minimal work at this time. That's the reason for a quick shake in AM.
    Personally i'd ditch the rice at meal 5, depending on when you workout. One stand out is the lack of veggies. I see absolutely nothing.
    I do workout in the morning. So that is a valid point you make. Forgot to mention salad with dinner. Also, not counting it towards total calories

I don't know that i'd be eating over maintenance at 17% bodyfat... I know you're looking to add some mass but you might want to think about a straight body recomp instead. The last thing you want to do is add more bodyfat and then have to cut for months on end. Just my .02, obviously the call is yours.
    Well that's exactly the issue, I did want to bring down the 17% but as soon as I started cutting I lost strength, performance etc, so I said screw it, I would rather be fat and muscular than skinny fat. If I can get suggestions on recomp that would be fantastic
    Responses in Red

Thanks to everyone, appreciate any and all feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by largerthannormal;6380***
    Yep gbrice is right, get some vegies in there. also your too close to your tdee to really make any big changes.

also 100% agree with him on do a cutter buddy! at 17% you shouldnt be eating over your maintenance

id prolly go about 1800 and do a body recomp or a full cutter, recomp is what I am doing but I am only 12% . I cant get myself to do a full bulker as I hate the fat puffy look for those few months.
    Thanks, so 1800 is the magic number recommended? Just don't want to lose out on newb strength gains while I'm progressing.

If you stay anabolic you can retain most your muscle during a cut...

also egg whites in microwave take 2min for AM/ mass gainer is just that a mass gainer. Use a lean protein to match your macros.

Quote Originally Posted by BodyEnglish View Post
    Thanks, so 1800 is the magic number recommended? Just don't want to lose out on newb strength gains while I'm progressing.
    yes i know the feeling bro. being 170lbs and doing a cut stinks, i mean who wants to be 155lbs cut? not many really and you wouldnt need juice for that, the only thing juice will help you do is help retain muscle during a cut...

i am in your shoes ( kinda) im 190 at 12% but i feel to fat to bulk and too small to cut, it stinks.. thats why i do lean body recomp but it takes 3x as long

Thanks for the advice, I will change that around if I can. Typically I'm sneaking out of the house at 5 am (kids are sleeping) and want to do minimal work at this time. That's the reason for a quick shake in AM.
    We're not all that different. I wake up at 4:40am, eat, and am at the gym by 6am. Like you, I want to do as little as possible during those wee hours in the morning, so I prepare my own protein smoothie the night before. I leave the dry ingredients in the blender, dump the wet ingredients in (already portioned out the night before and stored in the fridge), and blend in the furthest room from where my wife and son are sleeping.

All in all, it takes me about 5 mins before i'm enjoying a delicious shake. I don't do it every day, some days I actually do make eggs and oats, but that's just for variety sake.

I do workout in the morning. So that is a valid point you make. Forgot to mention salad with dinner. Also, not counting it towards total calories
    Your protein and salad are likely plenty. Little demand for energy this time of the evening... so I see no need for the carbs here unless you were actually bulking. Overall it's probably a small change - but one i'd personally make.

Well that's exactly the issue, I did want to bring down the 17% but as soon as I started cutting I lost strength, performance etc, so I said screw it, I would rather be fat and muscular than skinny fat. If I can get suggestions on recomp that would be fantastic
    I'm certain the issue had much less to do with the fact you were cutting, and much more with how you were implementing said cut. You were probably restricting calories too severely, that's one of the biggest mistakes that we've probably all made. Check out my sticky on cutting, you might find it useful:

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...g#.URQLVB1EGSo

Thanks for all the valuable feedback to both gbrice and LTN. The above thread is quite helpful too.

In retrospect, I had in fact gone a little to drastic in initiating a cut. My friend (who hasn't worked out in years, and likely has lower LBM) went on pure Atkins like diet with no carbs, except veggies) and lost a dramatic 25 lbs in less than 3 months. I thought I would follow and cut all my carbs, and looking back now, my daily caloric intake was likely below 1000 so no wonder. Will definitely re-work the above and keep to 300 below maintanance. Matter of fact have done so over last few days and still feel great.

Thanks for all the valuable feedback to both gbrice and LTN. The above thread is quite helpful too.

In retrospect, I had in fact gone a little to drastic in initiating a cut. My friend (who hasn't worked out in years, and likely has lower LBM) went on pure Atkins like diet with no carbs, except veggies) and lost a dramatic 25 lbs in less than 3 months. I thought I would follow and cut all my carbs, and looking back now, my daily caloric intake was likely below 1000 so no wonder. Will definitely re-work the above and keep to 300 below maintanance. Matter of fact have done so over last few days and still feel great.
    Wow. Atkins is about the worst plan you can follow if having a lean, muscular physique is your goal. Sure you can lose weight on Atkins... but what's the composition of said loss? Usually quite a bit of LBM.

I'm not a fan of keto diets in general, but there are definitely better ones out there geared towards the bodybuilder. CKD (cyclic ketogenic diet) is a popular one. You may also want to read up on Dave Palumbo's approach should you ever want to experiment with keto in the future.

Thread Information