beefy_bod is offline Associate Member

Fasted/workout confused

Hey fitfam..
    got a question on fasted workout/cardio!! I do fasted workout on days I don't have college which is Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, I drink coffee for pre-workout and workout as hard as I can, then abs and maybe 10 min 2% incline walk but main question is how long can you go on fasted until you burn muscle or know your starting to burn muscle??? Would appreciate the feed back.

Stats:
    19 old
    6'1
    168lbs
    Bf%-- tanita electrode scale says 8%
    Lift Monday through Saturday, Sunday is rest day..

Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    Quote Originally Posted by beefy_bod View Post
    Hey fitfam..
    got a question on fasted workout/cardio!! I do fasted workout on days I don't have college which is Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, I drink coffee for pre-workout and workout as hard as I can, then abs and maybe 10 min 2% incline walk but main question is how long can you go on fasted until you burn muscle or know your starting to burn muscle??? Would appreciate the feed back.

Stats:
    19 old
    6'1
    168lbs
    Bf%-- tanita electrode scale says 8%
    Lift Monday through Saturday, Sunday is rest day..
    I would say to a small degree...immediatly! If your really trying to figure out is at what point have you burned through your other fuel sources and you are relying on muscle alone...remember that muscle is essentially the bodies last source after glucose stores and fat!

Tron3219 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    If ur trying to get that "carry over" from ur cardio, it isn't enough to worry about. I'd eat with 30 minutes or so

-TroN-

Quote Originally Posted by Tron3219
    If ur trying to get that "carry over" from ur cardio, it isn't enough to worry about. I'd eat with 30 minutes or so

-TroN-
    Ok well I workout real hard then do abs then cardio! So your saying it won't burn muscle?

Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1

I would say to a small degree...immediatly! If your really trying to figure out is at what point have you burned through your other fuel sources and you are relying on muscle alone...remember that muscle is essentially the bodies last source after glucose stores and fat!
    I'm worried that when I do fasted workout I'm burning muscle, on them days I stated I workout hard and then and then cardio them after try to get as much protein in me as soon as possible, but was wondering if I do all that am I gonna burn muscle?

I'm worried that when I do fasted workout I'm burning muscle, on them days I stated I workout hard and then and then cardio them after try to get as much protein in me as soon as possible, but was wondering if I do all that am I gonna burn muscle?
    Honestly it's impossibe to NOT lose SOME muscle when you are cutting! You can minimise by diet and workout routines as well as timing!

Quote Originally Posted by beefy_bod

Ok well I workout real hard then do abs then cardio! So your saying it won't burn muscle?
    My bad, I thought u were just talkin bout fasted cardio and abs. If ur not on aas, I wouldn't recommend it. I mean u could probably sip some bcaa's prior and it would help. But if ur trying to build mass...then eat prior

-TroN-

My bad, I thought u were just talkin bout fasted cardio and abs. If ur not on aas, I wouldn't recommend it. I mean u could probably sip some bcaa's prior and it would help. But if ur trying to build mass...then eat prior

-TroN-
    I eat clean as possible don't count my calories just try to not to eat to much but totyally clean food...and I guess I am cutting but also wanna build lean mass to which I know is impossible but I just do fasted to get cut more I guess lol

Honestly it's impossibe to NOT lose SOME muscle when you are cutting! You can minimise by diet and workout routines as well as timing!
    Thanks man I eat clean, I should say in my preworkout there's sugar in money coffee and little milk but mainly I was guess the post was to wonder if I burn muscle on fasted workout I'm cutting or well maintain kinda but also wanting to build more lean mass and thanks man for the help

I eat clean as possible don't count my calories just try to not to eat to much but totyally clean food...and I guess I am cutting but also wanna build lean mass to which I know is impossible but I just do fasted to get cut more I guess lol
    Ypou really cant do both...at least not very eay and not without gear...(I am in NO WAY advocating use of AAS at your age)

Ypou really cant do both...at least not very eay and not without gear...(I am in NO WAY advocating use of AAS at your age)
    I got you bro, I know I'm young and been in here for awhile to learn that brotha but thanks for help and ya body works in mysterious ways I guess whatever I'm doing is going alright just waning to get more and more cut but big but thanks man for the help

Dude, ur bf is low enough to where you should be bulking. Eat clean foods 500 above ur tdee and put on some lean mass!!! When u get to about 15%. Cut a lil bit then get back on the big train! Get above where u want to b then cut down to where ur a ripped what u wanna be!

-TroN-

U could b at 6% bf right now and u wouldn't look any better. And I don't mean that insultingly. But u need separation between muscles to let the low bf shine. They work synergistically together. Super low bf and no muscle mass, u just look like a twig. A lot of muscle mass and high bf, u look like a twinky! U have to find common ground and make them work together to achieve a good physique. Ball out those shoulders a lil bit and it will make ur arms look bigger because there is separation. It doesn't go shoulder arm. U can tell where one ends and the other begins. And trying to do both (I've been trying as a challenge to myself) is a pain in the d1ck! U lose motivation because progress is sooooooo slow! One or the other big guy, just don't let the bf out of control. Keep it within striking distance.

-TroN-

U could b at 6% bf right now and u wouldn't look any better. And I don't mean that insultingly. But u need separation between muscles to let the low bf shine. They work synergistically together. Super low bf and no muscle mass, u just look like a twig. A lot of muscle mass and high bf, u look like a twinky! U have to find common ground and make them work together to achieve a good physique. Ball out those shoulders a lil bit and it will make ur arms look bigger because there is separation. It doesn't go shoulder arm. U can tell where one ends and the other begins. And trying to do both (I've been trying as a challenge to myself) is a pain in the d1ck! U lose motivation because progress is sooooooo slow! One or the other big guy, just don't let the bf out of control. Keep it within striking distance.

-TroN-
    Thanks brotha check out my pics in members section and tell me hat you think it's labeled "bf% estimate" but can you help me with my cals I need to eat and stuff??? My macros!

Thanks brotha check out my pics in members section and tell me hat you think it's labeled "bf% estimate" but can you help me with my cals I need to eat and stuff??? My macros!
    I did. Here's where we need to talk about ur macros. I'd say ur around 10%. Which means u have about 152lbs of lbm.

152 x 15 = 2280 (maintenance cals) + 500 = 2*** for bulkinh

-TroN-

I did. Here's where we need to talk about ur macros. I'd say ur around 10%. Which means u have about 152lbs of lbm.

152 x 15 = 2280 (maintenance cals) + 500 = 2*** for bulkinh

-TroN-
    Ok thanks man, getting help is what I like I'm very commited person if helped!!! Added 500 to 2280 comes out to 2*** that's how many kcals I need to eat??

Ok thanks man, getting help is what I like I'm very commited person if helped!!! Added 500 to 2280 comes out to 2*** that's how many kcals I need to eat??
    Yup...now u just need to figure out a good split for u to bulk. Start with 1.5g-2g of protein per lbm,
    228-300g pro. Which is about 32-43%. Go with 40%. So:

2*** x .40 = 1112 cals/4 cals per gram of protein= 278g protein

So the other 60% of ur cals need to be carbs and fat. That really depends on how ur body handles carbs or fat.

-TroN-

Yup...now u just need to figure out a good split for u to bulk. Start with 1.5g-2g of protein per lbm,
    228-300g pro. Which is about 32-43%. Go with 40%. So:

2*** x .40 = 1112 cals/4 cals per gram of protein= 278g protein

So the other 60% of ur cals need to be carbs and fat. That really depends on how ur body handles carbs or fat.

-TroN-

Ya I'm pretty sensitive to carbs they bloat me up well as stuff what about a 40/30/20??? But I'm wanting to stay clean and lean as possible and build good solid muscle if I can...tommorw at the gym got an apportionment to get my bf% done with calipers!!! So I'll be eating 2***kcals??

I'm on a 45/10/45 bulk right now and it's treating me pretty good. Just choose good fats, no trans fat. High omegas, low cholesterol, etc.

Calipers suck! They can change within 5 minutes.
    -TroN-

I'm on a 45/10/45 bulk right now and it's treating me pretty good. Just choose good fats, no trans fat. High omegas, low cholesterol, etc.

Calipers suck! They can change within 5 minutes.
    -TroN-
    Ya my health class taught me mono and poly are good and your bad is trans and sat!!! Ok I know this is probly getting annoying to you it just I want this bad haha but I'll do 40 protein and Whatev car and fats you choose for me I just need help figuring those out the. I'll come up with a food and se wher you think from there I know now I need to consume 2.7.8.0 kcals to eat 40g of them which is 278g protein now need to figure carbs and fats then I'll need to se how many cals to split them up to make up 6 meals through the day..

Ya my health class taught me mono and poly are good and your bad is trans and sat!!! Ok I know this is probly getting annoying to you it just I want this bad haha but I'll do 40 protein and Whatev car and fats you choose for me I just need help figuring those out the. I'll come up with a food and se wher you think from there I know now I need to consume 2.7.8.0 kcals to eat 40g of them which is 278g protein now need to figure carbs and fats then I'll need to se how many cals to split them up to make up 6 meals through the day..
    As far as the carb fat split goes. If ur carb sensitive the have a high fat ratio, vice versa. U can start out at 50/50 and work up or down. Depending on what u see in the mirror. U already mentioned u were carb sensitive so start with lower carbs. Start 25% carbs, and 35% fats. If u feel like your gain too much bf, drop ur carbs a little lower. Like I said, I'm only taking in roughly 10% carbs. All post workout. I think my actual grams is like 78g in a 3200 cal diet (which will get upped this weekend to probably 3400). Most of my carbs are high glycemic carbs post workout too. I have a few carb in a couple of my meals. But never over 10g carbs. Usually from nuts, or pb. I used me as an example but u see where I'm goin with this? U have to find what works for u as far as carb and fats go. But if u do decide to go low carbs, step down gradually.

-TroN-

As far as the carb fat split goes. If ur carb sensitive the have a high fat ratio, vice versa. U can start out at 50/50 and work up or down. Depending on what u see in the mirror. U already mentioned u were carb sensitive so start with lower carbs. Start 25% carbs, and 35% fats. If u feel like your gain too much bf, drop ur carbs a little lower. Like I said, I'm only taking in roughly 10% carbs. All post workout. I think my actual grams is like 78g in a 3200 cal diet (which will get upped this weekend to probably 3400). Most of my carbs are high glycemic carbs post workout too. I have a few carb in a couple of my meals. But never over 10g carbs. Usually from nuts, or pb. I used me as an example but u see where I'm goin with this? U have to find what works for u as far as carb and fats go. But if u do decide to go low carbs, step down gradually.

-TroN-

Ok thanks man ya I'll try an probably do low carbs now need to figure out how to implement the into foods is what I don't get like the carbs and fats ..
    So I know for my protein is 278g you did 2***x.40 and got 278g which is {40%} and don't need to go over that now how do you figure my carbs and fats you said your is 10g what's tht like what would be a good split for me for carbs and fats and how do your figure it up

I edited this ok I'll do what you said 40protein/20carbs/35fats but what I need help with is hats 20g carbs = out too and fats??
    Last edited by beefy_bod; 02-21-2013 at 11:02 PM.

Ok thanks man ya I'll try an probably do low carbs now need to figure out how to implement the into foods is what I don't get like the carbs and fats ..
    So I know for my protein is 278g you did 2***x.40 and got 278g which is {40%} and don't need to go over that now how do you figure my carbs and fats you said your is 10g what's tht like what would be a good split for me for carbs and fats and how do your figure it up
    4cal/g protein
    4cal/g carb
    9cal/g fat

If u do 25%carbs

2***cal x 25%carbs = 695cal worth of carbs

695cal / 4cal/g = 173.75g of carbs a day

Got it?

-TroN-

4cal/g protein
    4cal/g carb
    9cal/g fat

If u do 25%carbs

2***cal x 25%carbs = 695cal worth of carbs

695cal / 4cal/g = 173.75g of carbs a day

Got it?

-TroN-
    Damn I feel like a dummy thanks bro for taking one out to help me, never was smart at math! I'll get the rest figured then I'll make a new thread with everything complete including food and supps in this.. Thanks again lol also why you not trust calipers, understand you said it fluctuates from diff people what would be the best to test???

Damn I feel like a dummy thanks bro for taking one out to help me, never was smart at math! I'll get the rest figured then I'll make a new thread with everything complete including food and supps in this.. Thanks again lol also why you not trust calipers, understand you said it fluctuates from diff people what would be the best to test???
    Bod pod, hydrostatic tank or just a good ole fashion mirror!

-TroN-

Bod pod, hydrostatic tank or just a good ole fashion mirror!

-TroN-
    Well hmm have to see if my town has a bod pod, one last question how you come up with the formula to get my cals and macro??? If I never got help which you did thanks again lol I would have just went to bodybuilding com and look on there calculators you ever heard of the Harris Benedict formula said its post to work good!! But how'd you come up with what we figured out tonight?

Well hmm have to see if my town has a bod pod, one last question how you come up with the formula to get my cals and macro??? If I never got help which you did thanks again lol I would have just went to bodybuilding com and look on there calculators you ever heard of the Harris Benedict formula said its post to work good!! But how'd you come up with what we figured out tonight?
    I use to use the Harris Benedict formula too and it got me nowhere quick. I think they over estimate. As far as the formula (lbm x 15) honestly idk where it came from, it's something I picked up on here, implemented and worked out great. I remember reading something somewhere that a pound of lbm burns like 13 cals at rest or something like that. And 15 cals per lb is an adjustment for this lifestyle I'm assuming. Maybe gbrice, 405 or back in black(formally know as stem) can chime in with the specifics on that lol as far as the macro split, u figure out how much protein u need (lbm x 1.5 or 2), then split the others depending on you. It's more of a feel thing with the carbs and fats. You'll probably need to adjust them., that's just a starting point.

-TroN-

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Whether u burn muscle in the long run is going to be influenced mainly by one thing.... Diet... And your macro intake...

I use to use the Harris Benedict formula too and it got me nowhere quick. I think they over estimate. As far as the formula (lbm x 15) honestly idk where it came from, it's something I picked up on here, implemented and worked out great. I remember reading something somewhere that a pound of lbm burns like 13 cals at rest or something like that. And 15 cals per lb is an adjustment for this lifestyle I'm assuming. Maybe gbrice, 405 or back in black(formally know as stem) can chime in with the specifics on that lol as far as the macro split, u figure out how much protein u need (lbm x 1.5 or 2), then split the others depending on you. It's more of a feel thing with the carbs and fats. You'll probably need to adjust them., that's just a starting point.

-TroN-
    Ok cool thanks ya I'm gonna get started on that today!!! An far as the lbm how'd you figure out the number for me?? That's what got me also...

Ok cool thanks ya I'm gonna get started on that today!!! An far as the lbm how'd you figure out the number for me?? That's what got me also...
    Guessed at ur bf and took it away from ur weight

-TroN-

Thread Information