Thread: Journey to Lean

memphisman123 is offline New Member

Journey to Lean

First off, I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to read my post. This thread will serve as my nutrition and training log. About a month ago I decided to give IF a go more specifically Lean Gains. When I started I weighed around 207 pounds as of Friday I am down to 201 pounds. After taking the first month to get situated within IF I am now ready to seriously track my macros. I am adhering to a 16 hour fast window from 10.pm.-2.pm. On training and off days I have been breaking my fast with two scoops of protein at 2.p.m. On training days I have been eating all of my carbs post work out in the fashion of 3+ servings of either brown rice, wheat pasta, or quinoa and then adding things like Greek yogurt with granola to get the rest of my carbs in. On off days the only direct carbs I consume come from green veggies ( green beans, broccoli), and salsa on top of my eggs. For training I am doing DC with training days being Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Off days I do 30 minutes of fasted cardio around an hour or two before I break my fast.

Stats:
    21 years old
    5'11
    201 pounds
    3 years lifting (1.5 serious)

According to my TDEE I need 2714 calories a day after shaving 500 off the top ( I used moderately active since I am in the gym in some capacity every day). I would like some help from some people more experienced in IF to help me with my macro split. I would like to continue the protocol I referenced in the beginning if at all possible.

List of foods:

Protein: Chicken breast, Egg whites, Tilapia, shrimp (when on sale), protein powder
    Carbs: brown rice, wheat pasta, quinoa, fat free Greek yogurt, flax seed granola, oatmeal, green veggies, salsa
    Fats: Whole eggs, 90/10 ground beef, All natural almond or peanut butter.

Thanks for the help!

cj111 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Never done IF cause it doesn't really jive with my schedule, but I've read about it.
    I would have some of your carbs pre work out, 25% of your daily total. I don't know how you would have energy to train breaking a fast and then just running off two scoops of protein.

Whats your BF%?

Your food choices are good, dont be afraid to eat some beef or pork or tuna!

Quote Originally Posted by cj111 View Post
    Never done IF cause it doesn't really jive with my schedule, but I've read about it.
    I would have some of your carbs pre work out, 25% of your daily total. I don't know how you would have energy to train breaking a fast and then just running off two scoops of protein.

Whats your BF%?

Your food choices are good, dont be afraid to eat some beef or pork or tuna!
    Thanks for the reply. I have been doing the 2 scoops of protein to break my fast for a few weeks now, because I lift at 3 p.m. and was afraid I would not have enough time to digest them. Also I read a few articles on how breaking a fast with protein only feeding helps with GH levels and fat loss while training. According to the BF photo that gets posted on here a lot I am in between the 15%-20% photo. I would guess I am closer to the 15% in every aspect except for my stomach. I would love to eat beef every day, but on training days I find it easier to slam down 1.5 pounds of either fish or chicken.

Also to give a more in depth view of how I have been eating on training and off days.

Training days:
    Pre work out (break fast): 2 scoops protein in water
    Post shake: 1 scoop protein & 1 scoop complex carb powder in water
    Post work out meal: 1.5 pounds chicken or Tilapia/ 3+ servings of either brown rice, wheat pasta, or Quinoa
    Desert: 1 serving Fat free Greek Yogurt + 1 serving flax seed granola
    Before fast meal ( around 9 p.m.): 2 cups egg whites + 1 whole egg/ 1 serving oatmeal

Off days:
    Meal 1 (break fast): 2 scoops protein in water
    Meal 2: 1 pound of chicken + 8 ounces of 90/10 beef & 8oz steam veggies
    Meal 3: 4 large whole + 2 cups of egg whites with Salsa on top & 8oz steam veggies
    Meal 4: 2 scoops protein in water & 2 servings of either Almond butter or natural peanut butter

Thinking of doing 40/40/20 (P/C/F) on training days based on 2714 calories. On off days I am thinking about dropping cals to 2500 and doing high protein/ Fat and zero carbs besides veggies, and the ones from protein shakes.
    Last edited by memphisman123; 03-24-2013 at 06:55 PM.

After giving it some thought I decided to take CJ11's advice and add in some carbs when I break my fast.

2:00 p.m. Break fast:
    2 scoops protein
    1 scoop complex carb powder
    1 regular size banana

3:30 p.m. Training A1
    BB bench: 230 x 8 x 4 x 3
    DB shoulder: 95's x 5 x 4 x 3
    Reverse smith bench: 2 plates per side +5 x 9 x 5 x 4
    Motor cycle row pull downs: 170 x 12 x 7 x 5
    Chest supported T-bar rows: 4 plates + 10 x 10/ 4 plates + 35 x 5

Notes: Over all great day I either added weight on every movement or beat the log book for reps

After training 1 scoop protein in water

Post work out meal:
    1.5 pounds Chicken Breast ( weighed cooked)
    2 servings BBQ sauce
    4 servings brown rice ( weighed uncooked)

cj111 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Whats complex carb powder? Like waxy maize? Better off eating some oats or granola, something that will give you some sustained energy. I thought powdered carbs are fast acting..I could just be talking out my ass

Quote Originally Posted by cj111 View Post
    Whats complex carb powder? Like waxy maize? Better off eating some oats or granola, something that will give you some sustained energy. I thought powdered carbs are fast acting..I could just be talking out my ass
    It was given to me by a friend who no longer lifts. It is from NutraBio and is called Carbo Max 100% complex carbs.

Nutritional break down:
    Total fat = 0
    Total carbs=28
    Dietary fiber=0
    Sugars= < 1 gram
    Protein= 0

Although when I run out I will defiantly just toss oats into my pre shake for cost sake.

Eating for the 8 hour fast:

2:00 p.m. Break fast:
    2 scoops protein
    1 scoop complex carb powder
    1 regular size banana

After training 1 scoop protein in water
    Post work out meal:
    1.5 pounds Chicken Breast ( weighed cooked)
    2 servings BBQ sauce
    4 servings brown rice ( weighed uncooked)

Final meal:
    1 serving fat free Greek Yogurt + 1.5 servings Flax seed granola
    1 Scoop protein mixed in with one serving oatmeal

Totals: P= 276/ C= 267/ F=38

Notes: Forgot I ran out of eggs and liquid egg whites so had to add in another scoop of protein powder to reach goals.
    Last edited by memphisman123; 03-25-2013 at 08:47 PM.

gym at 12 today ( non lifting day):
    30 minutes fasted cardio on elliptical
    foam rolled for 10 minutes
    Did some core and obliques
    Steam room 10 minutes

meal 1: (2:00 p.m.)
    1 pound grilled chicken
    half pound 90/10 beef
    half pound steamed Green beans

Meal 2:
    2 scoops protein in water
    2 servings all natural peanut butter

Meal 3:
    3 large eggs + 2 cups liquid egg whites
    Salsa on top of eggs
    Large bag of Tuna in water ( 3 servings)

tdoe11 is offline Senior Member
    I am a hard gainer even at 4000 cals a day 40/40/20. Cycle 2 there would definitely be my choice. And eat like a horse

Thread Information