Mudshovel is offline New Member

Need help tightening up my diet and dropping at least 5% bf while keeping gains...

5' 11"
    209#
    20-22% bf currently (fat mostly sits in front at my lower abdomen and love handles) I can see my upper abs peeking through
    15-17% is where I want to be. At my age, I think that's a great % to be at.

Started CrossFit 19 mos ago and hadn't stepped foot in a gym in at least 3 yrs prior. Was at 252# and around 36% bf. Went from 40 waist to 36, sometimes 34, a XXl shirt to mostly L.

followed Paleo strict for a few months, gave up alcohol for 8 mos. Just gave it up again since the 4th.

I'm getting stronger, still keeping my gains but have changed up my diet to portion sizes that follow more the Zone, 4 block meals and 2 block snacks. I don't really count cals or get technical with macros. I figure if i'm eating the proper ratio for the blocks i'm good.

I eat clean....organic, free range, gluten free, lean proteins, blah blah blah as much as possible

This weeks meal plan:

8am Breakfast: breakfast scramble (dozen free range org eggs, 3/4 bunch of kale, 1 sweet pot, onion, 1# lean gr turkey, 1 package uncle bens microwave brown rice, mush, poblano, small handful shred chz....divide into 5 meals)

10am Snack: 2 scoops syntrax matrix choc protein shake, 1 banana

12:30p Lunch: 5 oz protein (gr chix or salmon patties), 1c baked y squash, 1c spag squash, 1c quinoa

3:30 snack (pre-wkout meal): 2oz gr chix, 1/4 sweet pot

post workout: 2 scoops Aftershock

Dinner (about 1.5-2 hrs after workout): 5oz protein (sometimes up to 6.5oz) salmon patty or gr chix, quinoa or br rice, 2c veg....maybe a kale/baby spinach salad w/ 1oz chz, 1 teaspoon sunflower seeds and 4 tbs dressing

I make several meals on sundays, i can't eat the same stuff everyday for the same meals.

The only thing diff about this meal plan is I used to swap the shake and breakfast and at brkfst, lunch, mid aft snack i'd have 1tbs roasted unsalted almond butter w/ meal. Cut that out this week though.

I have a cheat day 1x wk and try to eat well on weekends but doesn't always work.

What do y'all think? What needs to change?

did I make too long of a post? No one wants to help?

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    How many times a week do you train? Is crossfit a long term training regime for you or are you intending something else?

Is 15-17 where your ultimate goal lies? Or lower? You're only 38 there are plenty of of 40+ year olds who regularly hit 10-12% I don't want you to sell yourself short.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

bdos is offline Anabolic Member
    I didnt know we could say crossfit here

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    How many times a week do you train? Is crossfit a long term training regime for you or are you intending something else?

Is 15-17 where your ultimate goal lies? Or lower? You're only 38 there are plenty of of 40+ year olds who regularly hit 10-12% I don't want you to sell yourself short.
    I would love to get that low but I figured I'd set a goal of 15-17 then reassess.

I do CF 5x a week. The class I go to does a lot of oly lifting and strength work, ie. deads, bench, all types of squats, overhead barbell work. We just don't do isolated muscle groups.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by bdos900 View Post
    Sure, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by bdos900 View Post
    I was not aware. I can abbreviate of need be. However if you search that word a few threads come up with it used in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudshovel

I was not aware. I can abbreviate of need be. However if you search that word a few threads come up with it used in them.
    I think it was his little idea of a joke

If you type something and it comes up **** then it's not allowed.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Quote Originally Posted by Mudshovel

I would love to get that low but I figured I'd set a goal of 15-17 then reassess.

I do CF 5x a week. The class I go to does a lot of oly lifting and strength work, ie. deads, bench, all types of squats, overhead barbell work. We just don't do isolated muscle groups.
    Ok, then, I think you should start counting calories and macro's and start with somewhere in the region of 2400-2500 cals per day. Split that up something like 60g fats, 220g protein, 250g carbs.

Put something together and I will take a further look for you.

I'm assuming you do no additional cardio?
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Ok, I'll try to put something together tonight if I can.

I don't do any additional cardio than what is required in the workout. We do a lot of metcons and there's days where out involves a lot of running. Occasionally I'll stay and do extra core work. But on my off days I don't do any. I just stretch and foam roll.

Thanks for your help!

No problem mate.

Get the plan up when ready and don't worry, I'm here all week
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

As ridiculous as this may sound, I'm not sure where to even begin to write something up.

I did go to my fitness pal and started entering my meals based on your numbers you gave me. Apparently I'm barely eating 1800cals and I severely need to increase my carb intake, with good veg of course. I'm a little low on fats as well and I need more protein too.

I appreciate your help. This opened my eyes to what I need to change.

Thread Information