musclestack is offline Productive Member

Include calories from fiber??

When calculating carb macros, do you guys include the grams of fiber in your calorie count?

For example, say 1 cup of oats has 54 grams of carbs, 8 grams of which are fiber.......when calculating your macros, do you calculate for all 54 grams of carbs, or only 46 grams? From the diets I've seen posted here, it looks as though everyone is including the fiber in their calorie count, but it gets me thinking, why would we do that if humans don't possess the enzyme to digest fiber?

Any thoughts?

MS

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by musclestack View Post
    When calculating carb macros, do you guys include the grams of fiber in your calorie count?

For example, say 1 cup of oats has 54 grams of carbs, 8 grams of which are fiber.......when calculating your macros, do you calculate for all 54 grams of carbs, or only 46 grams? From the diets I've seen posted here, it looks as though everyone is including the fiber in their calorie count, but it gets me thinking, why would we do that if humans don't possess the enzyme to digest fiber?

Any thoughts?

MS
    There's research showing fiber provides around 2cals/gram. It doesn't matter if you include it or not so long as you're consistent with whatever you do and adjust depending on your results.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by musclestack View Post

Any thoughts?

MS
    sugars<simple carbs<complex carbs<starches<fiber

if the fiber is non digestible, which is typically the case for fibers, then you do not count the carbs. Which is why celery has a net negative calories from eating. Too much fiber, not enough digestible carbohydrates.

musclestack is offline Productive Member
    Fair enough. Thanks for the input, guys.

Getlean007 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by musclestack
    When calculating carb macros, do you guys include the grams of fiber in your calorie count? For example, say 1 cup of oats has 54 grams of carbs, 8 grams of which are fiber.......when calculating your macros, do you calculate for all 54 grams of carbs, or only 46 grams? From the diets I've seen posted here, it looks as though everyone is including the fiber in their calorie count, but it gets me thinking, why would we do that if humans don't possess the enzyme to digest fiber? Any thoughts? MS
    No, I don't

Thread Information