Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jesusbrah
  • 1 Post By GirlyGymRat

Thread: Cutting and diet question

Jaakoppi is offline Junior Member

Cutting and diet question

Hi! I've got a little problem. My TDEE is about 2900 and I was going to drop it to 2500-2600 kcal MAX. Carbonhydrates are 150-200g, proteins about 230g and fats I was going to keep at 50-60 grams/day. BUT, when I calculate my kcals with these macros it makes about 2100-2200 kcals. Where the hec I'm going to take extra kcals if carbonhydrates should be 150g and fats 50g? Do I just have to add even more protein to my daily meals?

I mostly eat eggs, chicken, pollock, cottage cheese, quark, low fat minced meat, whey protein, whole wheat bread, pasta, some nuts without salt, tomatoes, cucumber, some fruits (bad?), and I've got peanut butter which it's with brown cane sugar so I was going to change it to unsugared one.

I drink a pretty good portions pf water every day, some light soda and milk. Coffee with sweetener Hermesetas and milk.

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    What's your weight and bodyfat %?
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

Weight 188 lbs. Bodyfat around 20%.

Jesusbrah is offline Associate Member
    Protein: 250 g
    Carbs: 250 g
    Fat: 60 g
    =2540 cal

Problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by Jesusbrah View Post
    Protein: 250 g
    Carbs: 250 g
    Fat: 60 g
    =2540 cal

Problem solved
    250g of carbs are you serious?!

Back In Black is offline Beach Bodybuilder ~Elite-Hall of Fame~
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaakoppi View Post
    250g of carbs are you serious?!
    And you think carbs are the enemy why?

Is your TDEE calculated or is that your actual maintence? If it's the former you need to work out the latter.
    NO SOURCES GIVEN

I've thought that too much carbonhydrates eliminates fat burning mechanism.

It's calculated. So macros are as Jesusbrah said, but need to focus to do more aerobics?

I'm kind of noobie what comes in cutting. Tried it once and nothing extreme happened.

It's calculated. So macros are as Jesusbrah said, but need to focus to do more aerobics?

I'm kind of noobie what comes in cutting. Tried it once and nothing extreme happened.
    Cardio is very debatable. Some believe its essential, some believe cutting is all diet and that cardio wastes muscle. Personally i never do cardio, simply because i dont need it to lose weight and i dont like it. But everyone is different, so you will have to find out for yourself.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaakoppi
    I have been reading about fat burning vs carb burning for energy. It's very interesting. If you limit the carbs to very low numbers then body starts using fat.

Cardio is very debatable. Some believe its essential, some believe cutting is all diet and that cardio wastes muscle. Personally i never do cardio, simply because i dont need it to lose weight and i dont like it. But everyone is different, so you will have to find out for yourself.
    Losing weight has been always a delicate matter for me, but the truth is that I'm not in so fit shape and finally want to see results in that area, so doing cardio I'm trying to burn fat but also get in better aerobic shape. I've admired mass but realised that I must also cut, and truth is that I'm not so muscular as I want to be. I've mostly kept calories at the maintenance level or slightly bulked up, for several years, without doing cardio almost at all.

Simply I'm afraid to bulk and grow more muscle because I'm afraid of ending to look like a feeding pig.

Quote Originally Posted by GirlyGymRat View Post
    I have been reading about fat burning vs carb burning for energy. It's very interesting. If you limit the carbs to very low numbers then body starts using fat.
    I've heard differing opinions. Some say you have to eat such a big loads of carbonhydrates and calories to train hard and keep your metabolism high, and keep your muscles without losing them. Some are saying that they are eating like 100-150 grams of carbonhydrates/day or so and training almost every day.

Anyway I expect you have to eliminate as much sugar away from your diet as you can, right? Eating clean and enought carbonhydrates especially in the days you work out?

Losing weight has been always a delicate matter for me, but the truth is that I'm not in so fit shape and finally want to see results in that area, so doing cardio I'm trying to burn fat but also get in better aerobic shape. I've admired mass but realised that I must also cut, and truth is that I'm not so muscular as I want to be. I've mostly kept calories at the maintenance level or slightly bulked up, for several years, without doing cardio almost at all.

Simply I'm afraid to bulk and grow more muscle because I'm afraid of ending to look like a feeding pig.
    Drop your kcals down 250-500 from maintenance for a month or 2. If that doesnt work for you, start doing cardio a couple of times a week. Just experiment what methods work for you.

Drop your kcals down 250-500 from maintenance for a month or 2. If that doesnt work for you, start doing cardio a couple of times a week. Just experiment what methods work for you.
    Yeah I will try to do that or actually keep doing some cardio but increase it a bit if nothing happens. I'm going to take this with time so no need to hurry up.

I thought that I could keep one day/week eating some sugar like plain coffeebread, cake or candy. Do you think it's really a bad idea? If they are included to total amount of daily calories which is about 2400 kcals now.

dfarre is offline Banned
    At 20% bodyfat you can easily go for a 1000+kcal deficit. And I doubt your maintenance is 2900, unless you work manual labor.

Docd187123 is offline Banned

Carbs can stop the body from using fat as an energy source in some cases but in training populations it's been shown that it doesn't affect it. Plus using fat as an energy source doesn't mean you'll lose fat. It's about energy balance more than anything else.

Docd187123 is offline Banned
    I've heard differing opinions. Some say you have to eat such a big loads of carbonhydrates and calories to train hard and keep your metabolism high, and keep your muscles without losing them. Some are saying that they are eating like 100-150 grams of carbonhydrates/day or so and training almost every day.

Anyway I expect you have to eliminate as much sugar away from your diet as you can, right? Eating clean and enought carbonhydrates especially in the days you work out?
    You can eat sugar and still lose weight although too much sugar may leave you hungry throughout the day.

jdpeters is offline Associate Member
    Try re-calculating your TDEE. It looks too high to me. Give us your stats, height, weight, age, activity....

Height 5'7.5" (171cm)
    Weight 186 lbs (85kg)

Macro nutrient calculator gave me 2886 cals to TDEE. Basall metabolic rate 1862 cals. I'm not sure if there is something wrong.

I'm weight training hard 3 times/week, sets 6-9 per bodypart, reps 6-10 and with that it looks like everything is under control after cycle which I quit 7 weeks ago. After my training I usually do some light cardio max 30 minutes. I'm also skating about once a week and do a bit over half an hour jogging.

Bicep321 is offline Associate Member
    If the numbers don't add up, just ditch the macro scale. Set up a plan of how many carbs, proteins, and fats you want to intake daily rather than follow a generic guideline. My opinion though.

I also believe that as long as you eat 200g+ carbs a day, you don't need to count calories. Like I said, my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bicep321 View Post
    If the numbers don't add up, just ditch the macro scale. Set up a plan of how many carbs, proteins, and fats you want to intake daily rather than follow a generic guideline. My opinion though.

I also believe that as long as you eat 200g+ carbs a day, you don't need to count calories. Like I said, my opinion.
    What a load of bullshit! Eat over 200 g carbs and you dont need to count calories? What? Generic guideline? Do you even know what that means?

You count calories so you can have a precise energy intake. You cant just say you wanna eat that many carbs, fat and protein! Well you can, but good luck getting results!

You can believe what you want, doesnt make it true.

What a load of bullshit! Eat over 200 g carbs and you dont need to count calories? What? Generic guideline? Do you even know what that means?

You count calories so you can have a precise energy intake. You cant just say you wanna eat that many carbs, fat and protein! Well you can, but good luck getting results!

You can believe what you want, doesnt make it true.
    The results make it true.

Macros is a generic guideline. Everybody is different and everybody reacts differently to carbs, protein and fats. The only reason to follow macros is because you don't know your own body well enough to make your OWN guideline. My opinion.

And if you're eating 200g+ carbs you most definitely don't need to worry about calories. you sure as hell shouldn't be pounding 200g carbs a day if you're cutting so if you're bulking and eating 200g+, then calories don't mean jack shit. As long as you have the necessary amount of protein and carbs in you, you're good.

The results make it true.

Macros is a generic guideline. Everybody is different and everybody reacts differently to carbs, protein and fats. The only reason to follow macros is because you don't know your own body well enough to make your OWN guideline. My opinion.

And if you're eating 200g+ carbs you most definitely don't need to worry about calories. you sure as hell shouldn't be pounding 200g carbs a day if you're cutting so if you're bulking and eating 200g+, then calories don't mean jack shit. As long as you have the necessary amount of protein and carbs in you, you're good.
    The smell of bullshit is making me dizzy.

"Macros is a generic guideline"? What does that even mean? Macros means macronutrients, nothing more. How much you need is determined by the amount of calories you need. You dont just pick them out of the blue. As your body changes, so does your caloric intake requirements.

And for the 200 g carb bullshit:
    1. Doesnt that go against your first claim? That its different for everybody?
    2. 200 g carbs is nothing, i would be surprised if most people here dont eat twice that amount, if not more.
    3. I eat more than 200 g carbs cutting, so do most others.
    4. Calories doesnt mean jack shit if you eat 200 g carbs? Really? Lets do the math. So in a standard 40/40/20 spitt, you would have 200 g carbs, 200 g protein and 44 g fat. Thats 2000 kcals.... Good luck getting anywhere on that.

Docd187123 likes this.

Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesusbrah
    The smell of bullshit is making me dizzy. "Macros is a generic guideline"? What does that even mean? Macros means macronutrients, nothing more. How much you need is determined by the amount of calories you need. You dont just pick them out of the blue. As your body changes, so does your caloric intake requirements. And for the 200 g carb bullshit: 1. Doesnt that go against your first claim? That its different for everybody? 2. 200 g carbs is nothing, i would be surprised if most people here dont eat twice that amount, if not more. 3. I eat more than 200 g carbs cutting, so do most others. 4. Calories doesnt mean jack shit if you eat 200 g carbs? Really? Lets do the math. So in a standard 40/40/20 spitt, you would have 200 g carbs, 200 g protein and 44 g fat. Thats 2000 kcals.... Good luck getting anywhere on that.
    I rarely eat much more than 200 carbs ed

Quote Originally Posted by Bio-Active View Post
    I rarely eat much more than 200 carbs ed
    How do you get your calories? Are you chugging oliveoil?

Quote Originally Posted by Jesusbrah
    How do you get your calories? Are you chugging oliveoil?
    honestly I do not count calories. I count how much pro/fat/carb I am aiming for each meal

Quote Originally Posted by Bio-Active View Post
    honestly I do not count calories. I count how much pro/fat/carb I am aiming for each meal
    Yeah, i understand but you are still putting calories in your stomach. You look pretty swole based on your avi, so you are eating more calories than you burn. The argument from the other guy is that you dont need to care what you eat as long as you eat 200 g carbs, which i would assume is completely different that what youre doing. Thats why i called bullshit.

Yeah, i understand but you are still putting calories in your stomach. You look pretty swole based on your avi, so you are eating more calories than you burn. The argument from the other guy is that you dont need to care what you eat as long as you eat 200 g carbs, which i would assume is completely different that what youre doing. Thats why i called bullshit.
    Bro i was just teasing you i knew what you meant yeah obviously i know what it takes to make my body run effectively

The smell of bullshit is making me dizzy.

"Macros is a generic guideline"? What does that even mean? Macros means macronutrients, nothing more. How much you need is determined by the amount of calories you need. You dont just pick them out of the blue. As your body changes, so does your caloric intake requirements.

And for the 200 g carb bullshit:
    1. Doesnt that go against your first claim? That its different for everybody?
    2. 200 g carbs is nothing, i would be surprised if most people here dont eat twice that amount, if not more.
    3. I eat more than 200 g carbs cutting, so do most others.
    4. Calories doesnt mean jack shit if you eat 200 g carbs? Really? Lets do the math. So in a standard 40/40/20 spitt, you would have 200 g carbs, 200 g protein and 44 g fat. Thats 2000 kcals.... Good luck getting anywhere on that.

40/40/20 macro split is a generic number that you get from a generic bullshit formula of the nutrients your body requires. Just like the BMI, it's a generic formula. If you don't understand that, then I'll just leave it at that.

Let me just tell you this, I don't count my macros whatsoever but if I take a minute to think about what I eat and put together a rough number on grams that I get from each meal, I would measure out as follows..100-150g protein (depending on what I eat that day), approximately 300g carbs and I don't even bother counting my fat intake. I'm on a bulk like I usually am and I made a 15lb LEAN gain in 3 months and I would say 5lbs water weight on top of that. I maintained 10-12% body fat percentage as well. I rarely hit 150g of protein a day. So I don't need any luck to "get anywhere on that" because I already got there.

When I cut this summer for competition, I will be limiting carbs to the 60-80g range 6 weeks out and slowly decrease that as competiton gets closer till I eventually hit the the 10g mark 2 days out. Of course I will also limit fats. I've done it before and worked like a charm.

That all goes against what you are saying and it has been tried and proven. Call bullshit all you want. I don't get why you have to attack my methods just because they're different than yours. Like I said, everyone reacts different to their nutrient intake and I personally don't believe calories are the most efficient way to count energy. I don't count my calories and I feel great and energized every day so that is all that matters.

I don't personally know anybody that cuts at 200g of carbs and in all honesty, it doesn't make much sense to me. And that's coming from a guy that responds well to carbs. But if that's how you cut, then good luck to you
    Last edited by Bicep321; 02-08-2015 at 06:42 PM.

That's not my argument lol

40/40/20 macro split is a generic number that you get from a generic bullshit formula of the nutrients your body requires. Just like the BMI, it's a generic formula. If you don't understand that, then I'll just leave it at that.

Let me just tell you this, I don't count my macros whatsoever but if I take a minute to think about what I eat and put together a rough number on grams that I get from each meal, I would measure out as follows..100-150g protein (depending on what I eat that day), approximately 300g carbs and I don't even bother counting my fat intake. I'm on a bulk like I usually am and I made a 15lb LEAN gain in 3 months and I would say 5lbs water weight on top of that. I maintained 10-12% body fat percentage as well. I rarely hit 150g of protein a day. So I don't need any luck to "get anywhere on that" because I already got there.

When I cut this summer for competition, I will be limiting carbs to the 60-80g range 6 weeks out and slowly decrease that as competiton gets closer till I eventually hit the the 10g mark 2 days out. Of course I will also limit fats. I've done it before and worked like a charm.

That all goes against what you are saying and it has been tried and proven. Call bullshit all you want. I don't get why you have to attack my methods just because they're different than yours. Like I said, everyone reacts different to their nutrient intake and I personally don't believe calories are the most efficient way to count energy. I don't count my calories and I feel great and energized every day so that is all that matters.

I don't personally know anybody that cuts at 200g of carbs and in all honesty, it doesn't make much sense to me. And that's coming from a guy that responds well to carbs. But if that's how you cut, then good luck to you
    I dont care what you do, do what the f*ck you want. Just dont spread your bullshit personal opinions on others when science disagrees with you. Im not attacking you in any form, however when you make those bold statements i feel an urge to correct them because i strongly disagree.

Youre talking about everything being generic. There is a reason why most people who had success will tell you to follow the "generic" method. Thats because in most cases, the "generic" methods works!

You say you have gained 15 lbs in 3 months. Im guessing youre a beginner? Thats called newbie gains. I got them, and everyone else here got them. Everyone in every gym has got them. And you dont really need to put much effort in to them eather. Doesnt mean that your diet (if you can call it that) is the best. The problem comes when the newbie gains stops. Thats when you gotta start counting calories.

I dont care what you do, do what the f*ck you want. Just dont spread your bullshit personal opinions on others when science disagrees with you. Im not attacking you in any form, however when you make those bold statements i feel an urge to correct them because i strongly disagree.

Youre talking about everything being generic. There is a reason why most people who had success will tell you to follow the "generic" method. Thats because in most cases, the "generic" methods works!

You say you have gained 15 lbs in 3 months. Im guessing youre a beginner? Thats called newbie gains. I got them, and everyone else here got them. Everyone in every gym has got them. And you dont really need to put much effort in to them eather. Doesnt mean that your diet (if you can call it that) is the best. The problem comes when the newbie gains stops. Thats when you gotta start counting calories.
    This is getting out of control lol. Now I'm being called a beginner lol. Just did my first SUCCESSFUL cycle of test cyp at 400mg/week for 10 weeks. Not newbie gains. I've been training and dieting for 7 years. I'm not gonna sit here and try and convince you that I know my shit but it sounds like you need some good advice on diet yourself. Macros is the generic most basic beginner way to diet. Usually that's what I point beginners to so they can get an understanding of what dieting is and they can go from there. Sure some pros out there use it but the best thing to do is build your OWN plan and execute it. That's how I feel about it.

I used to be part of a forum, now I'm starting to remember why I stopped going on it. I got a lot of great help from experienced guys on here about aas and they are the main reason why I was able to execute my cycle to perfection and I thank them for that. That's why I've been trying to get more involved here in the past week but when I start dealing with stupid immature shit like this, it's very off putting.

I wish you good luck on your bodybuilding career and have a good rest of your day. I'm gonna go enjoy a nice meal
    Last edited by Bicep321; 02-08-2015 at 07:27 PM.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Sometimes members just don't mesh well. Cheers for being polite enough.

Avoidance is a solution
    Bicep321 likes this.

This is getting out of control lol. Now I'm being called a beginner lol. Just did my first SUCCESSFUL cycle of test cyp at 400mg/week for 10 weeks. Not newbie gains. I've been training and dieting for 7 years. I'm not gonna sit here and try and convince you that I know my shit but it sounds like you need some good advice on diet yourself. Macros is the generic most basic beginner way to diet. Usually that's what I point beginners to so they can get an understanding of what dieting is and they can go from there. Sure some pros out there use it but the best thing to do is build your OWN plan and execute it. That's how I feel about it.

I used to be part of a forum, now I'm starting to remember why I stopped going on it. I got a lot of great help from experienced guys on here about aas and they are the main reason why I was able to execute my cycle to perfection and I thank them for that. That's why I've been trying to get more involved here in the past week but when I start dealing with stupid immature shit like this, it's very off putting.

I wish you good luck on your bodybuilding career and have a good rest of your day. I'm gonna go enjoy a nice meal

C'moon guys stop arguing

Well I'm going with these: CALS ~2300, PROT. 220-240g, CARBS 160-170g, FATS 60-70g.

Without thinking about calories would be easier but I'll stick with these now. Atleast jeans are getting a bit loose now.

JESUSBRAH why do you think bigger amounts of CARBS would be better or benefit you when doing cutting? Do you have a positive personal experiences with high carbs?

C'moon guys stop arguing

Well I'm going with these: CALS ~2300, PROT. 220-240g, CARBS 160-170g, FATS 60-70g.

Without thinking about calories would be easier but I'll stick with these now. Atleast jeans are getting a bit loose now.

JESUSBRAH why do you think bigger amounts of CARBS would be better or benefit you when doing cutting? Do you have a positive personal experiences with high carbs?
    Dont think high amount of carbs is necessarily beneficial for cutting, nor have i stated that. I always keep the 40/40/20 ratio because it works for me, i just change the calories. Always end up on way more that 200 g carbs.

Two months dieting done now. Dropped 12 lbs (5,5 kgs), lose from a waist near two inches (4 cm) and got a bit smaller from waist and legs also but I'm definitely a bit leaner now.

Strenght went down mainly in bench press sets and squats. Preparing to lift calories slowly up.

Thread Information