Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bio-Active
  • 1 Post By GirlyGymRat

Thread: The diet struggle continues

kingfish is offline Junior Member

The diet struggle continues

Hi guys,

One of my resolutions this year was to get smart on dieting and finally lose the gut. I'm 47, 6' and 275. My problem is I keep missing out on the nutrition aspect. My question is how does everyone else with a successful diet get it done? I used an online calorie requirement calculator and came up with 3000cal daily to maintain my current weight. So I assume I can cut 500cal out daily for a deficit. How does everyone else handle food prep for the day/week? I get sick of chicken/pork/tuna after 2-3 weeks and then start to slip & eat the wrong stuff.

The other question is if I'm working out 3 or 4x week plus dieting, is cardio necessary for weight loss?

Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by kingfish
    Hi guys, One of my resolutions this year was to get smart on dieting and finally lose the gut. I'm 47, 6' and 275. My problem is I keep missing out on the nutrition aspect. My question is how does everyone else with a successful diet get it done? I used an online calorie requirement calculator and came up with 3000cal daily to maintain my current weight. So I assume I can cut 500cal out daily for a deficit. How does everyone else handle food prep for the day/week? I get sick of chicken/pork/tuna after 2-3 weeks and then start to slip & eat the wrong stuff. The other question is if I'm working out 3 or 4x week plus dieting, is cardio necessary for weight loss?
    have you looked at the thread what are you eating right now? A lot of us post up our food there to give ideas. The key is food prep
    RaginCajun likes this.

SlimmerMe is offline ~Knowledgeable Female Extraordinaire~
    Big tip.

Start a daily log with a specific goal. Post every single day. Yes. Every day. Every bite, every sip and it will get you back on track and keep you on track and you'll watch the scales go down down down.....

SLow wins the race. Pick food you know you'll stick to. Try to make it as fun as possible.

Listen to the food gurus.

SM

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Quote Originally Posted by kingfish
    Hi guys, One of my resolutions this year was to get smart on dieting and finally lose the gut. I'm 47, 6' and 275. My problem is I keep missing out on the nutrition aspect. My question is how does everyone else with a successful diet get it done? I used an online calorie requirement calculator and came up with 3000cal daily to maintain my current weight. So I assume I can cut 500cal out daily for a deficit. How does everyone else handle food prep for the day/week? I get sick of chicken/pork/tuna after 2-3 weeks and then start to slip & eat the wrong stuff. The other question is if I'm working out 3 or 4x week plus dieting, is cardio necessary for weight loss?
    Hi. Think of food as fuel and decide what's important. Your taste buds or your health! There's plenty of food that isn't boring if u use spices wisely. And it's not easy. If it was,everyone would have 6 packs abs.

Cardio and lifting yes but nutrition and consistency over time is more important!
    SlimmerMe likes this.

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    It is a struggle and you have to have complete will power to do it. If I have a fast food craving I will get a burger from the dollar menu then bring it home and just let it sit for an hour or so. Go back and look at it and see how nasty it became and realize I didn't need to put that in my body.
    The worst thing you can do is be doing really well then tell yourself you can afford to have a cheat day. Sometimes that cheat day can derail a whole diet. That's what happens to me so I have to be strict.

kingfish is offline Junior Member
    Thanks everyone. Biggest hassle for me is getting it all in. I just normally eat around 1700-1900cal daily, so hitting 2500 is a little bit of a reach. Obv it's just one extra meal, but when you're not used to it... I know the prep is everything; get that part down and it's probably a lot easier. 5 year old twins in the house has been challenging though. I had a look through the "what are you eating now" thread - good stuff there, will have to take notes and find new ways to cook chicken, pork, tuna etc to keep it from getting dull. But once I'm consistently hitting my daily cal goal, how big a part does cardio play? I typically do 30 min on a treadmill so it's not really strenuous. My fav part is the workout, and honesty cardio has always come second after weights. Probably should mention my Endo has me taking 100mg test cyp weekly.
    Last edited by kingfish; 02-02-2016 at 10:41 PM.

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER
    Diet will be key in your success, as for cardio HIIT is the way to go and it cuts your time needed to be invested to 15 min or so. After that its consistency. i understand what tigershark is saying, but for me and my clients i design nutrition plan that allows to have cheat meal. It keeps y mind fresh and motivated knowing there is a reward coming soon. There is ways you can prime the body to utilize that cheat meal better...

Thread Information