lifter65 is offline Associate Member

dhea and hair loss

ive read a couple things about losing hair while supplementing with dhea, any experiences?

DHEA (Dehydroepiandrosterone) is converted from Pregnenolone; both are considered precursor hormones; in other words all the other hormones in your body are derived in one way or another from these anabolic steroids . Hair loss do to increased hormone levels is more associated with high levels of DHT (Dihydrotestosterone). DHT is converted from Testosterone . I've never heard of a case where high levels of DHEA causes hair loss. I'd be interested to see what you've read on this subject. Can you post links?

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gdevine View Post
    DHEA (Dehydroepiandrosterone) is converted from Pregnenolone; both are considered precursor hormones; in other words all the other hormones in your body are derived in one way or another from these anabolic steroids. Hair loss do to increased hormone levels is more associated with high levels of DHT (Dihydrotestosterone). DHT is converted from Testosterone. I've never heard of a case where high levels of DHEA causes hair loss. I'd be interested to see what you've read on this subject. Can you post links?
    Just a little input. dhea converts to andro which converts to test. The problem lies in the fact that this offerfs 2 opportunities for 5 alpha reduction to dht. andro can be 5 alpha reduced to dht and then test can be 5 alpha reduced to dht. The same can be said for conversion to estrogen. Andro can aromatize and then test,of course can aromatize. So I can see where dhea could cause issues re: hairlossfor those with high levels of the 5 alpha reductase enzyme (prone to mpb)

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyinkedup View Post
    Just a little input. dhea converts to andro which converts to test. The problem lies in the fact that this offerfs 2 opportunities for 5 alpha reduction to dht. andro can be 5 alpha reduced to dht and then test can be 5 alpha reduced to dht. The same can be said for conversion to estrogen. Andro can aromatize and then test,of course can aromatize. So I can see where dhea could cause issues re: hairlossfor those with high levels of the 5 alpha reductase enzyme (prone to mpb)
    Agreed. Makes sense; I've just never seen a cause and affect in a study. I'd like to see anything that proves that DHEA can lead to hair loss. Most, if not all, Medical Restorative Physicians highly recommend DHEA for men on TRT protocols for a ton of reasons and from what I've read DHEA does not cause significant increase in E2 in men (can in women) nor anything on hair loss (Crisler). The benefits of DHEA supplementation far out way any potential downside...at least from what I've read from leading Docs in the filed. (Read: Your Blood Doesn't Lie; Dr. Dzugan)

I did a quick search on pubmed "DHEA and hair loss" and found nothing; not saying there is, I am certain this has been studied just based on your rational Jim because it makes sense.

Good stuff Jimmy, love it when you post on here friend.

Now lets see some ink!
    Last edited by steroid.com 1; 08-06-2011 at 02:42 PM.

Got thinking about this more; DHEA supplementation is about bringing levels to the optimum. In this case with DHEA a man would want to be in the DHEA-S range of 500-640 ug/dl. If a man can get to this level with supplementation there should not be any concern about the metabolic pathways that take DHEA all the way to DHT, or the opportunities for 5 alpha reduction to dht, and increased levels as he's in the optimal range and not above.

If a man is concerned about the conversion of DHEA supps to E2 and higher T levels (meaning T converting to higher DHT levels) they can take 7-keto DHEA which is a metabolite of DHEA. This means a man can take lower doses of DHEA to balance E2 and progesterone and keep cortisol levels at optimal peaks and eliminate any potential downside to high DHEA supplementation.

For me, the upside to DHEA supplementation far out ways any risk which are very remote as long as DHEA is in the optimal range (and healthy ratio with Cortisol).

Just my $0.02.
    Last edited by steroid.com 1; 08-06-2011 at 06:08 PM.

lifter65 is offline Associate Member
    good posts guys, gdevine...when i found it i did a search online, no studies, just on message boards and things like that
    but im glad to hear that crisler doesnt think it will, because i have the 100mg/ml pump coming thursday to get my shitty levels up...only 193, way below optimal

flatscat is offline Knowledgeable Member
    If one is supplementing DHEA, how much would you have to take by the time any of it is absorbed, to not only reach normal levels if one was say at 200ug/dl, but to raise it enough to go cause the condition the op is referring to without causing many other problems? I am thinking way more than 50 or 100 mg's a day.

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by flatscat View Post
    If one is supplementing DHEA, how much would you have to take by the time any of it is absorbed, to not only reach normal levels if one was say at 200ug/dl, but to raise it enough to go cause the condition the op is referring to without causing many other problems? I am thinking way more than 50 or 100 mg's a day.

Any thoughts?
    On target as usual! One needs to consider that only about 5% of the dosage will get past the liver; so a 50 mg will yield at best 2.5 mg in the blood stream or 5 mg if 100 mg. Helpful still, but not enough to cause a huge increase in DHT (or T for that matter) or 5 alpha reduction.

If a cream, the uptake is higher but at best figure 10% so still not enough IMO Flats.
    Last edited by steroid.com 1; 08-08-2011 at 09:19 PM.

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    subscribed with my bottle of dhea at my desk and full head of hair for the time being

Quote Originally Posted by jpkman View Post
    subscribed with my bottle of dhea at my desk and full head of hair for the time being
    LMAO! Funny shit

Thread Information