j2048b is offline Associate Member

Worst day of my life: Theraputic phlebotomy... Mygawd...

OK SO HERE IT IS
    last hematocrit check it was around 54-55.5, so i started guzzling water, toda go to the local hospital for my theraputic draw...i tell the woman, i may pass out, she sticks me, says oh i cant tape down the needle i have to hold it and put this tourniquet around ur upper bicep and tghten it and LEAVE it in place for the whole thing.... get around 225 mls out of me and IM DONE!!! tunnel and BAM pass out on the cushion, im sweating to death, cant breath.... they did finally bring me 2 orange juices while im passed out on drawing chair....end up getting emitted into hospital, for high ck. and lactase, UM YEAH I HAVE NEXT TO NO FOOD OR SUGARS IN ME... stay there, they poke me and stab me 5-7 more times, 2 bags of saline, lunch, FINALLY AT LIKE 1-2 PM!! after i told them all i needed was sugar and food....doctor wanted to rule out any heart issues with the elevated ck in my system... um ive been working out this past week... WORST DAY EVER THUS FAR!!! what kind of place cannot tape down the damn needle and leave the bag of blood sitting on a metal clip board in the upright position on the floor while a woman is holding the needle in ur arm? damn it! what a waste of an entire day!!!

next time im eating a shit ton, and going to a blood bank such as red cross or the local one here...WOW!

ANY THOUGHTS?

lovbyts is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Yeah, why did you go knowing you had not eaten and your blood sugar was low?

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Yeah, why did you go knowing you had not eaten and your blood sugar was low?
    I had called yesterday and the people who were there said yeah please come fasted! Yeah ok! So i did!

ppwc1985 is offline Productive Member
    Just make it a practice to give blood every 2 months. I just started doing it myself because I can't donate. If your able just make it habit, just part of being responsible on trt.

Quote Originally Posted by j2048b View Post
    I had called yesterday and the people who were there said yeah please come fasted! Yeah ok! So i did!
    OK that makes sense then. I didnt think you needed to fast to donate blood, only to check cholesterol.

Quote Originally Posted by ppwc1985 View Post
    Just make it a practice to give blood every 2 months. I just started doing it myself because I can't donate. If your able just make it habit, just part of being responsible on trt.
    thats the plan, but now only going to the red cross or another local blood bank... not dealing with my local hospital any-longer, always have had issues w thiem, hell took the kid there 3 years agao...just got a bil3 years later in the mail went directly to a collection agency...

thats the plan, but now only going to the red cross or another local blood bank... not dealing with my local hospital any-longer, always have had issues w thiem, hell took the kid there 3 years agao...just got a bil3 years later in the mail went directly to a collection agency...
    Sounds like a good place to avoid. Who knows what else you might get there.

I donated blood 1x and it was through a blood drive at work. I got a nice (not so nice) little surprise 2 weeks late. Hepatitis B. Yes I'm sure. I also got lucky. Doctor said he never saw anyone with white blood cell count as high as mine who lived.

Took over 6 months just to recuperate enough to go back to work. I went from 165 lbs down to 120 lbs in 2 weeks. I didnt need to loose any weight at the time. lol

Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    Sounds like a good place to avoid. Who knows what else you might get there.

I donated blood 1x and it was through a blood drive at work. I got a nice (not so nice) little surprise 2 weeks late. Hepatitis B. Yes I'm sure. I also got lucky. Doctor said he never saw anyone with white blood cell count as high as mine who lived.

Took over 6 months just to recuperate enough to go back to work. I went from 165 lbs down to 120 lbs in 2 weeks. I didnt need to loose any weight at the time. lol
    holy crap dude i pray to GOD i dont get anything from going there... man i got to start cardio sooner than i planned, got to lower my test dosage, and start really hitting that water as well!

Rusty11 is offline Senior Member
    They told you to fast before donating blood????? That's beyond strange. Glad you're doing better

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty11 View Post
    They told you to fast before donating blood????? That's beyond strange. Glad you're doing better
    Yeah...they definitely thought it was for lab work, not a therapeutic phlebotomy.

makes no sense to go fasted to sa phlebotomy, the blood is going to get discarted anyway. its not a donation.

I had my phlebotomy on an empty stomach because i got some blood drawn for labs before the phlebo. Nothing happened though. You are a pvssy my friend jk

i do have a major question today tho:

ive been out of bed since about 430 this morning, for some reason my legs have been cramping up and spasming and it wont stop... in both upper legs down into the calves... what is good for this? left side has it worse than right side...ive been drinking pedialyte, gatorade and water... not sure what to do?

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    i do have a major question today tho:

ive been out of bed since about 430 this morning, for some reason my legs have been cramping up and spasming and it wont stop... in both upper legs down into the calves... what is good for this? left side has it worse than right side...ive been drinking pedialyte, gatorade and water... not sure what to do?
    East real food.
    Food is a much better source of energy and electrolytes than any sports drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonaparte View Post
    East real food. Food is a much better source of energy and electrolytes than any sports drink.
    Ok will do! Been eating veggies and stuff all day, cheeses, cottage as well, blue berries, hamburger, Lots of fluids, added calcium, potassium, and feel better, we will see how it goes the rest of the night

Thanks for all the replys!

SEOINAGE is offline Anabolic Member
    that sounds like a crappy time. My first time I ever donated blood years ago when I let myself get down to a whopping 155 lbs, my blood pressure dropped and kept almost passing out, but nothing like this, they just bicycled my legs and cold pack on my neck, and then I had to lie down after trying to eat the snacks. Hadn't been eating much nor ate much that day.

As to the come fasted, sounds like a mix up, but lots of times I have heard them tell you not to eat right before or several hours because some people throw up when donating, so they want to minimize the mess. But personally I think it is really stupid, if you know there is an issue eat well. Last couple times i went I did it fasted just cause I was hell bent on my diet and fasting that day, honestly was fine, but I was also 230 lbs, and had less blood sugar issues or problems with lack of food like when I was smaller.

Thanks everyone for the replys! Im trying to work thru this all, called in today to work because i had small like panic attacks all night long, almost like sleep apnea, id fall asleep, my heart rate would go thru the roof, and id quit breathing, wake up and jump out of bed.... Slept 2 hours total, so tonight melatonin, and chamomile tea....hopefully eill ease my body and mind and help me get to sleep, left legstill aches and i have random spasms... Not sure y? Hope i can just relax and be normal again cause this sucks

Thanks everyone for the replys! Im trying to work thru this all, called in today to work because i had small like panic attacks all night long, almost like sleep apnea, id fall asleep, my heart rate would go thru the roof, and id quit breathing, wake up and jump out of bed.... Slept 2 hours total, so tonight melatonin, and chamomile tea....hopefully eill ease my body and mind and help me get to sleep, left legstill aches and i have random spasms... Not sure y? Hope i can just relax and be normal again cause this sucks
    Oh and my new doc said ur hematocrit was only a 53.4, i wouldnt have made u give blood because it should be anywhere between 48-53.5... I had actually lowered it and my rbc as well as hemo all by hydrating....

Oh and my new doc said ur hematocrit was only a 53.4, i wouldnt have made u give blood because it should be anywhere between 48-53.5... I had actually lowered it and my rbc as well as hemo all by hydrating....
    IN THE ER AGAIN TODAY! Ambulance ride from work, felt like passing out again and they had to take me away haha take me away!!!!

Get to the er, and its crazy people up in here!

Said it sounded like panic attacks...

Thread Information