IRISHxM80 is offline New Member

Looking for a competent TRT physician in RI (updated)

I hate to come on here asking such a direct question on my first post but I'm in desperate need of some assistance.

Long story short, I'm a 30 year old male and I've been lifting consistently for 15 years. Most people would assume I'm in terrific health but I know that it's nowhere near what it should be. I'm starting to lose size regardless of what I do, my diets no longer yield close to the same results as they once did, I'm tired from the moment I wake up as well as averaging 1 or 2 naps per day, and I can get an erection just fine but it's pretty useless considering I have absolutely no sex drive.

My most recent blood work (as of 07/01/14) showed my total testosterone at 283. Cause? Self prescribed steroids in my past. I don't have much to say about it besides that I was young, ignorant, and figured I was set for life. Unfortunately, my sources disappeared and never reappeared so I wound up crashing pretty hard. I knew enough to know that most doctors wouldn't take me seriously about TRT until I was over 30 so I waited it out.

I'm trying to be as legitimate about this as possible considering I know that I'll need this for life. I've done everything by the book. All my blood work numbers and symptoms are enough to land me a diagnosis of hypogonadism. My numbers are low enough for my medical to pay for the prescription. Literally, the only thing I am without is the actual diagnosis and a prescription.

I've been completely open and honest with my doctors but I have yet to find one that will take me seriously. From the moment I go into each appointment, I'm drilled with steroid questions and treated as if I'm just fiending for testosterone. I need somebody that actually knows what they're talking about. I can't trust my health to people that feel like anything over 300 total testosterone is a 'healthy' level.

Does anybody know an experienced TRT physician that operates outside of an anti-aging clinic in Rhode Island? I will go to a clinic as my absolute last resort but I really don't feel like I should have to considering all these facts.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Update:

I successfully acquired the hypogonadism diagnosis. They are starting testosterone cypionate injections within the next week. However, I now have a new question!

My doctor is starting me off at 200mg every other week; I'm pretty sure any one of you can look at that and understand my concern. I know it's standard but it's quite a bit less than what I'm looking for.

Considering the fact that the doctor was reluctant as is, I'm going to go out on a limb and say the odds of him increasing the dosage are slim to none. Is it as simple as switching to a doctor that is willing to prescribe a more optimal dose or should I stick with this doctor for awhile before resorting to that? I'm not trying to raise any red flags so I'm curious what worked for those of you that started TRT with a doctor similar to mine?
    Last edited by IRISHxM80; 07-10-2014 at 01:56 PM.

APIs is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Dr. Thomas O'Connor in CT specializes in TRT & Lifter's Health and might be a good Doc for you.

Thank you! I have 2 appointments tomorrow but if neither of those works out then I'll give him a try.

Updated the original post. Any opinions? Completely open to any and all suggestions.

ppwc1985 is offline Productive Member
    It's kinda sounds like you just want enough test to cycle. I may be wrong. Look fact is that's a good starting dose, EXCEPT it needs to be 100mg ew dosed 50 mg every 3.5 days. This would be the best way. Most guys don't need more than that, but there are some that do need more. Not going to know till blood work. But 100mg a week would be ok. Not optimal,but ok. 200 mg eow, you will be feeling bad at about the 10-14 day mark. If you don't mind driving, call lowtestosterone.com. They have a dr in PA, you only have to see him once a year. 199 month pays for everything. They will reimburse you gas money too. Big plus, they know what they are doing.

You have every right to be skeptical and I wont say you are completely wrong because you're not. I have no reason to lie; lying is for people that have something to hide. You can ask me anything and receive an honest answer.

8 years after steroids , my testosterone level has now dipped to less than 300. I don't know exactly what happened but something changed drastically over the course of the last couple of years. I legitimately need the assistance. Unlike some people tend to do, I haven't been exaggerating any of my symptoms. I originally started my TRT journey because I had been experiencing so much muscular atrophy and fatigue that I began to question whether I had a terminal illness or not. It's THAT bad. Hell, as if that weren't bad enough, I also went through a period of time that I even started wondering if I had become asexual because I no longer have absolutely any sexual desire .

The last 15 years of my life have been dedicated to lifting and martial arts. I also have a career in the fitness industry so, in a way, lifting is my life. When you're putting in just as much work as you ever have and you're watching your strength and physique diminish when you're supposed to be in your prime then you know there's a huge issue.

I'm not looking for just enough test to function 'well enough.' I'm not only fixing what's wrong but I'm also looking out for my own best interests considering it's my life and I'm the one that has to live it. I want to be able to continue making gains because that's what makes me happiest.

Without the test, I have reached my genetic potential as far as strength goes. If you need proof that I'm not bullshitting then I even have a video of myself hitting a 425 raw bench, at 181lbs, without any issue whatsoever that I can show you as an example. Gains do not happen anymore. It's become a constant struggle to maintain what I've earned.

I don't feel guilty in the least for looking for optimal treatment considering I'm trying to live the best version of my life that I can possibly can.

As far as the dosage, I completely agree. I already tried asking him to split it up and he threw a fit. Why? Couldn't tell you. That's part of the reason that I'm asking you guys what I should do.

I'm intelligent enough to know that I have a lot to learn. I don't think I know everything and I will never claim to. I'm just looking out for myself.

ppwc1985 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IRISHxM80
    You have every right to be skeptical and I wont say you are completely wrong because you're not. I have no reason to lie; lying is for people that have something to hide. You can ask me anything and receive an honest answer. 8 years after steroids, my testosterone level has now dipped to less than 300. I don't know exactly what happened but something changed drastically over the course of the last couple of years. I legitimately need the assistance. Unlike some people tend to do, I haven't been exaggerating any of my symptoms. I originally started my TRT journey because I had been experiencing so much muscular atrophy and fatigue that I began to question whether I had a terminal illness or not. It's THAT bad. Hell, as if that weren't bad enough, I also went through a period of time that I even started wondering if I had become asexual because I no longer have absolutely any sexual desire . The last 15 years of my life have been dedicated to lifting and martial arts. I also have a career in the fitness industry so, in a way, lifting is my life. When you're putting in just as much work as you ever have and you're watching your strength and physique diminish when you're supposed to be in your prime then you know there's a huge issue. I'm not looking for just enough test to function 'well enough.' I'm not only fixing what's wrong but I'm also looking out for my own best interests considering it's my life and I'm the one that has to live it. I want to be able to continue making gains because that's what makes me happiest. Without the test, I have reached my genetic potential as far as strength goes. If you need proof that I'm not bullshitting then I even have a video of myself hitting a 425 raw bench, at 181lbs, without any issue whatsoever that I can show you as an example. Gains do not happen anymore. It's become a constant struggle to maintain what I've earned. I don't feel guilty in the least for looking for optimal treatment considering I'm trying to live the best version of my life that I can possibly can. As far as the dosage, I completely agree. I already tried asking him to split it up and he threw a fit. Why? Couldn't tell you. That's part of the reason that I'm asking you guys what I should do. I'm intelligent enough to know that I have a lot to learn. I don't think I know everything and I will never claim to. I'm just looking out for myself.
    If you go on just regular trt most if not all of your symptoms will go away, but it don't happen overnite. I would just try to find another dr who knows trt. Otherwise it can be risky because no may need an AI, you also need HCG . Don't get down we all been there bro, lifting is most of our lives here. Like I said if you have the money, I started out with lowt.com and they started me on my trt journey. With them and what I have learned here on forums I know ican stay healthy. Stick around, READ and you will learn a lot. I suggest you read Testosterone A Mans Guide.

Thread Information