prncezzml is offline Female Member

Strength Training vs. Cardio

I am currently on 2 iu a day of GH, 5'5 145 lbs. I have a high protein diet, and I am trying to lose a**ominal fat and love handles. I know there is no such thing as spot reduction. So, just to get some opinions, if I get to the gym only 4 times a week, what would be more important do focus on, lifting or cardio (2 of these days are high intensity spin class)?

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by prncezzml
    I am currently on 2 iu a day of GH, 5'5 145 lbs. I have a high protein diet, and I am trying to lose a**ominal fat and love handles. I know there is no such thing as spot reduction. So, just to get some opinions, if I get to the gym only 4 times a week, what would be more important do focus on, lifting or cardio (2 of these days are high intensity spin class)?
    Both

comradebillyboy is offline Associate Member
    Two days of the high intensity spin and two days full body weight routine would be good. For weight loss, more aerobics is usually better. But the spinning can be very stressful so you need recovery time. Some gyms have courses where you do an hour of more moderate aerobic exercises with light weights. That plus spinning might be an ideal combo.

Yeah spin definitley leaves me sore the next day and sometimes I even lift legs before class so an easier aerobic activity in the week would be key. Thanks guys

znak is offline Senior Member
    Weight loss is primarily a function of burning more calories than you are consumming. I would do aerobics 2x a week and lift 2x a week with VERY SHORT intervals between sets (30-45 seconds).

If you are not sweating by your second exercise dial up the intensity.

Recent studies (I can hear it now) have show that there is a degree of spot reduction that does occur. Weights also reshape your body which give an apprearance of weight reduction.

On weight days, keep talking to an absolute minimum, it will severely detract from the advantage of lifting if you do. (I do not mean to offend you in anyway or imply that this is your case.)

My problem with strength training is upper body, I hate doing it, and I always just lift legs because I don't feel it's as difficult for me to do upper body, I am hardly sweating (unlike on leg day where I am squatting and feel like puking). What exercises can I do for upper body that will give me that same "used up" feeling at the end of my weight training?

My problem with strength training is upper body, I hate doing it, and I always just lift legs because I don't feel it's as difficult for me to do upper body, I am hardly sweating (unlike on leg day where I am squatting and feel like puking). What exercises can I do for upper body that will give me that same "used up" feeling at the end of my weight training?
    For a woman, it is the reps that will get you puking (unless you want a heavy muscular look, then ignore this advice).

With my wife I do six sets of ten for four excercises sticking primarily to core exercise -bench, military, pullups (assisted), and dips (assisted). That is 240 reps in an hour.

We slo down and smell the roses when her head starts spinning. She is 5'7" and about 125 carved out of 150 lbs.

I would not argue that this is the only way, but it is a way that has worked for her.

Even got the fat off her butt that she thought would never go.

Intensity.

You can do! Put it in you mind as THE goal and go for it.

No I don't want a heavy muscular look, that's for sure. Thanks for all your help, I need to get my butt in gear here with my upper body training

No I don't want a heavy muscular look, that's for sure. Thanks for all your help, I need to get my butt in gear here with my upper body training
    Do it!

High reps with short intervals cook fat.

Also really helps to keep track of you waist, thigh and top of you leg to butt connnection. Set short term goals- 1/2 off your waist or 3/4 inch off your thigh in two weeks.

Success breeds success. When you SEE it happening, that will jack you up.

After four-five 1/2 inch successes, people will start telling you.

Possitive feedback is a good thing.

Set yourself a goal and do it.

JJP480 is offline Associate Member
    Check out www.crossfit.com . We do it 3x/week at work and if you are looking for intenesity and a killer workout give it a try .
    It is an excellent change to a fitness program and if you give it your all you'll be wasted at the end of it . It's pretty cool .

Thread Information