Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lejes is offline Junior Member

Question Insulin shelf/fridge life confusion

I'm reading conflicting info on insulin shelf life (and storage)

Here is the problem, from one medical website:

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/Profs/Datasheet/h/Humulininj.htm
    Precautions for Storage

HUMULIN preparations should be stored in a refrigerator between 2° and 8° C.
    HUMULIN preparations should not be frozen or exposed to excessive heat or sunlight.

Shelf-Life

Unopened

The shelf life for HUMULIN R, HUMULIN NPH and HUMULIN 30/70 is two years when stored under appropriate conditions.

In-use

When in use, all HUMULIN 10 mL vials may be kept at room temperature (30° C) for up to 28 days.
    When in use, all 3 mL cartridges may be kept at room temperature (30° C) for up to 28 days.
    '

Soo... I have no problem keeping it cool, so I would opt for sticking it in a fridge or a cooler (if transport is needed, no prob there) / But...

Kept at room temperature for 28 days while in use? How about if it is refridgerated, will it keep longer? You guys got some experiences? Have you noticed visible degradation or a subsiding of effectiveness of the drug past the 28 day period once in use?

Why do they make 10ml vials for personal use if it's almost impossible to use it all within that 28 day time period? That's 1000 IUs of insulin!

SPIKE is offline AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by Lejes
    How about if it is refridgerated, will it keep longer?
    I've argued with a few people on another board/thread about this subject. There's substantial literature stating that its only "good" for 28 days after being opened, regardless if its in a refridgerator. I can't see how that's possible though. All you're doing when you open a bottle of Slin is popping the top.

I for one have used a bottle of Slin over the coarse of several months and it was still effective. Doesnt match up with a lot of literature but it definitely still worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhova
    I've argued with a few people on another board/thread about this subject. There's substantial literature stating that its only "good" for 28 days after being opened, regardless if its in a refridgerator. I can't see how that's possible though. All you're doing when you open a bottle of Slin is popping the top.

I for one have used a bottle of Slin over the coarse of several months and it was still effective. Doesnt match up with a lot of literature but it definitely still worked for me.
    What was the counter-argument on the other board?

And hmmmm, since slin is one of those now drugs, the effects can't be mistaken or missed. Since the 28 day period matches to what most recommend as a 4 week cycle, I guess there is no harm in letting it stick around the fridge and seeing if it works after you take time off and go back on.

So let me ask, if insulin expires the only real danger is for diabetics who could go into hyperglycemia with ineffective insulin? For athletic and BB purposes this is moot then, there are no other dangers correct? If it's not working for us it's not a medical danger, just a waste of time: So go get fresh slin if that's the case right?

The best person to answer this would infact be a diabetic. I'm sure they've dealt with this already.

The counter argument was exaclty what you posted, medical info. A couple guys pulled up links that showed that it states 28 days so they went with that. I for one have had the same effects with Slin that has been stored for a few months in the fridge.

The 4 weeks recommended cycle by most is just the norm. I know some that cycle it year round with minimal time off and they're just fine. I wouldnt recommend it but at the same time I have yet to see any medical information stating that administering exogenous Slin will cause diabetes.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    I'm a diabetic. I keep my unopened vials in the fridge. Once i open it it doesn't go back in there. I have had a vial last longer then a month and it not a problem. They only started saying this 28 day thing about 8 years ago. My DR even says it bs its a way for the RX company to make more $$$

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1
    I'm a diabetic. I keep my unopened vials in the fridge. Once i open it it doesn't go back in there. I have had a vial last longer then a month and it not a problem. They only started saying this 28 day thing about 8 years ago. My DR even says it bs its a way for the RX company to make more $$$
    ooooohhhh... Yeah that is something the pharmaceutical industry would use to make some more cash. I didn't even think of that.

What is the longest a vial has lasted you? And could you please tell me what kind of insulin you are using as a diabetic and what kind of doses you use?

ooooohhhh... Yeah that is something the pharmaceutical industry would use to make some more cash. I didn't even think of that.

What is the longest a vial has lasted you? And could you please tell me what kind of insulin you are using as a diabetic and what kind of doses you use?
    I take lantis insulin its a real slow acting insulin last 24 hours. I take that once a day and take 46iu

I take novolog same as humalog. It varies on how much i eat a day on how much i take. But depending on the size of the meal i take between 6 and 12iu before each meal.

Cant say how long the longest vial has lasted me but i have never in 20 years have thrown out a vial with out finishing it. I have also left it in my car I'm the summer. What are you going to do when you are out for the day and go to the beach. And i have never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1
    My DR even says it bs its a way for the RX company to make more $$$
    Yea that and expiration dates. Both ways to make more money.

Thanks for the info Gixxer....

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhova
    Thanks for the info Gixxer....
    Yeah thanks a lot dude! It's helpful to read insulin information from actual diabetics!

Yeah thanks a lot dude! It's helpful to read insulin information from actual diabetics!
    If you guys ever have other questions feel free to pm me.

BIG_T_MC06 is offline Associate Member
    I am currently using insulin on my cycle, but think my isulin has "gone off" or gone bad. Please help as i always run slin with my AAS.

The expiry date is 10/07 so its in date.

I first used the pen Sept and got great results, then again in Nov again with good results. This time however i never seem to feel hypo/tired and have gone for 2 hours after my shot+shake without eating, surely i should have gotten the shakes or something. Yesterday i had a shot of slin (12iu) and only 60g carbs as a little test to see if it worked. No hypo signs, bear in mind that previous courses i have used 10g per iu and still seen hypo signs so upped it to 11g. Finally evertime i have had a shot of slin in the past it has drained me of all energy this time it's not the case.

Is my slin bad?

I will have to wait and see what gains i get from the cycle as it plays out to help answer this, just wanted some input

T
    Last edited by BIG_T_MC06; 02-11-2007 at 04:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG_T_MC06
    I am currently using insulin on my cycle, but think my isulin has "gone off" or gone bad. Please help as i always run slin with my AAS.

The expiry date is 10/07 so its in date.

I first used the pen Sept and got great results, then again in Nov again with good results. This time however i never seem to feel hypo/tired and have gone for 2 hours after my shot+shake without eating, surely i should have gotten the shakes or something. Yesterday i had a shot of slin (12iu) and only 60g carbs as a little test to see if it worked. No hypo signs, bear in mind that previous courses i have used 10g per iu and still seen hypo signs so upped it to 11g. Finally evertime i have had a shot of slin in the past it has drained me of all energy this time it's not the case.

Is my slin bad?

I will have to wait and see what gains i get from the cycle as it plays out to help answer this, just wanted some input

T
    Just waiting for signs of hypo isn't a good gauge or safe way to tell if your slin is working. I have felt signs when my blood sugar is 65 other times not until below 40. Your body does change. Not meaning anything bad. But what might feel like hypo one day may not feel hypo 6 months later. Buy a glucose meter they are cheap and so insulin if you think your is bad. Not something i would be guessing with.

Thread Information