amar7 is offline Junior Member

The HGH release effect of Insulin (Dr.Sears)

Hi,

I was wondering, how insulin effects the bodys release of GH/IGF and found an interesting text:

Dear Dr. Sears, On page 62 of your book you state "insulin retards the secretion of growth hormone from the pituitary gland". Several other sources state the exact opposite. For example, Tortora G and Grabowski S, Principles of Anatomy and Physiology 7th ed., page 529. They state that insulin is a stimuli that promotes secretion of HGH. If you are correct, then why do athletes use Insulin with HGH? Why has insulin been shown to promote muscle growth? For me the key issue is what to eat post workout. I thought that replacing my glycogen stores quickly was important. Items which are higher on the G.I. would accomplish this task more quickly. However, I do not want to decrease or inhibit HGH release. Lastly, the workout itself has already stimulated an increase in hGH secretion. Will food items which are high on the G.I. really suppress hGh secretion to such an extent as to 'undo' the increase in hGH? Please advise me on the best course of action. If you could include one or two scientific research papers that i could refer to it would greatly appreciated. Thanks, Steve Hooper in Perth Australia.

Dear Steve: Insulin is a storage hormone that drives nutrients (including amino acids) in the cells. It is true that insulin promotes the release of growth hormone. However, the insulin-induced release of growth hormone is mediated by induction of hypoglycemia with a corresponding release of the hormone glucagon that increases cyclic AMP levels. The release of growth hormone is mediated by the second messenger cyclic AMP which is inhibited by insulin but increased by glucagon. The intensity of your workout determines the extent of the release of growth hormone, and this occurs about 15-30 after the workout ceases. This is why I advise a small Zone snack immediately after a workout. It will raise both insulin and glucagon levels simultaneously so that nutrients are driven into the muscle cells, and there is corresponding release of growth hormone. This should be followed by a Zone meal within 2 hours after your workout to maximize glycogen re-synthesis. Ivy and co-workers have showed that combinations of protein and carbohydrate are superior to either macronutrient alone in stimulating glycogen synthesis after a workout.

Dr. Barry Sears

Comments welcome

bosh1911 is offline New Member
    Please check this out, serious stuff. (no joke)

I am questioning this same thing:

""the workout itself has already stimulated an increase in hGH secretion. Will food items which are high on the G.I. really suppress hGh secretion to such an extent as to 'undo' the increase in hGH? Please advise me on the best course of action""

And now I am in doubt about this one:

""The intensity of your workout determines the extent of the release of growth hormone, and this occurs about 15-30 after the workout ceases. This is why I advise a small Zone snack immediately after a workout. It will raise both insulin and glucagon levels simultaneously so that nutrients are driven into the muscle cells, and there is corresponding release of growth hormone""

I recently saw a video on youtube where they state that a PWO meal can suppress natural HGH... I started to research on this and found a blog stating the same but this one says that it should be done every now and then to get the best of both worlds (pwo meal and no pwo meal : / ).

then I found this post... so I decided to reply hoping someone can give me a good response to it with actual scientific proof. I will continue to find out the answer and will reply here if I find a good one.

The video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH7CPh8u2RA

I know, I know... but they do come out with good information many times, they say they are studying somewhere therefore their sources must be legit (scientific/approved), just assuming ofc.

The blog:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/post-...#axzz2EZ2xR2uk

please take the time to check this out and question it, as it will benefit ALL of us. And if NO post-workout meal is more beneficial than taking a PWO meal then most of us have a disadvantage.

I've seen scientists argue for an hour differing on a basic principal of physics. This argument I'm reading about PWO meal sounds very similar. How about an empirical test? Do a PWO meal for three months and take notes/measurements. Do no PWO meal for 3 months and do the same. Hey, no matter what the science says numbers don't lie.

bosh1911 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotchGuard02 View Post
    I've seen scientists argue for an hour differing on a basic principal of physics. This argument I'm reading about PWO meal sounds very similar. How about an empirical test? Do a PWO meal for three months and take notes/measurements. Do no PWO meal for 3 months and do the same. Hey, no matter what the science says numbers don't lie.
    I was planning on doing taking a PWO meal every second day that being 1 week taking for 3 days and the following week taking it only 2 days and so on... 6 months to figure this out is a good idea, but I'm sure many have already done it and know the answer from experience or "numbers" like you say (yes, numbers/experience never lie).

I'm cutting atm anyway. And I will keep looking for a good answer.

thanks for your input.

human project is offline Knowledgeable Member~Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Blog Entries
    Subscribed....interesting

Thread Information