Rarest is offline New Member

Insulin Use for Type 1 Diabetic?

Hi everyone,

I've been a type 1 diabetic for close to 10 years now. I know this may seem like a stupid question from someone like me, but how can I, as a type 1 Diabetic, use my insulin to my advantage?

Do I go work out with my blood sugar a little bit high and then inject right after my workout? If someone could explain this to me that would be amazing. I know the info is all probably on the forums here, but I'd really appreciate it if I could hear it from one of you because most of these threads arent about type 1 Diabetics.

Regards,

DocToxin8 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    What you should strive for is to both maximize the muscles sensitivity to insulin and (in periods/cycles) maximize insulin activity in the muscles.

So don't train with a high blood glucose, that simply means you're not getting the glucose you have (and other nutrients) eaten effectively into your cells.
    Aim to keep blood glucose at normal at all times.

I'm not a diabetic and so I have to think on this before any advice can be given regarding switching dose or timing of slin in your case.
    But using more insulin one some days while at the same time carbing up with a lot of protein seems logical. Or say you do a week where you on top of normal insulin use increases with x amount of long actin slin, and make sure to get a lot of extra carbs and protein (and preferably not that much fat) at the same time. Or maybe short actin would be safer for a diabetic when used like this, hmm, just thinking loudly here.

Rarest is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DocToxin8 View Post
    What you should strive for is to both maximize the muscles sensitivity to insulin and (in periods/cycles) maximize insulin activity in the muscles.

So don't train with a high blood glucose, that simply means you're not getting the glucose you have (and other nutrients) eaten effectively into your cells.
    Aim to keep blood glucose at normal at all times.

I'm not a diabetic and so I have to think on this before any advice can be given regarding switching dose or timing of slin in your case.
    But using more insulin one some days while at the same time carbing up with a lot of protein seems logical. Or say you do a week where you on top of normal insulin use increases with x amount of long actin slin, and make sure to get a lot of extra carbs and protein (and preferably not that much fat) at the same time. Or maybe short actin would be safer for a diabetic when used like this, hmm, just thinking loudly here.
    What I'm really stumped by is how to use this to my advantage.
    My blood sugar is in optimal range at all times because I manage my condition very meticulously. But, as far as I can tell, the only way to get anything out of this is by eating carbs just before a workout and then injecting to have all that glycogen converted to usable energy in my muscles when im in the gymn.

I've read that insulin isnt worth using for normal people without HGH as well, is there any truth to this?

Quote Originally Posted by Rarest View Post
    the only way to get anything out of this is by eating carbs just before a workout and then injecting to have all that glycogen converted to usable energy in my muscles when im in the gym.
    Well, insulin shuttles nutrients. Glucose is one of them. Protein is another. So you want to have protein available for shuttling. If you do not have enough blood sugar, however, the extra insulin will shuttle blood out of the blood stream and you will pass out and die. Does this make sense? 7grams of carbs (start with 10 to be safe) per iu of insulin are needed. So, you increase the insulin and must increase your carbs, too. Otherwise, you die. I hope that is clear enough. You already have a basic understanding of the blood sugar insulin relationship from monitoring every day, but you are doing the reverse. You eat, inject, monitor. In this case, you are injecting more than you need merely to stabilize blood levels and therefore you need more carbs to keep your blood sugar levels sustained. The extra insulin shuttles nutrients, not just glucose.

I've read that insulin isnt worth using for normal people without HGH as well, is there any truth to this?
    They are great run together. Both together affect IGF levels. Also, some guys put on fat when using insulin, and hGH combats this to some extent.

Thread Information