Thread: Labrum tear

Dozerd is offline Junior Member

Labrum tear

The Dr had a MRI w/contrast done. She says i have a tear superior labrum, anterior to posterior that involves the biceps tendon. She says they will use absorbable tacks and sutures to repair it. She also says there is no chance it will heal on its own. Is this a one way street or do i have other options?

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    one way street my mentor,powerlfited until his late 50's. he had a labrium tear when he was younger and never go it fixed, by the end of his carrer a man who used to press mid 400's was having trouble with 275lbs. my advice is get it fixed now dont wait until later

I was afraid of that. It will be a long recovery 4 weeks in a sling and 4 months untill i can lift again from what i was told if all goes well. Thanks for the feed back looks like i have a bumpy road ahead.

good chance for you to work legs

speedtraining is offline Senior Member
    I had a partial labrium tear, I still play d1 football with it, it just gets sore after the season the pain goes away. If I didnt play football I wouldn't even know it was there anymore, imo surgery should be last resort because nothing is ever the same after surgery.

Is it something that can get worse with lifting? I feel some pain opening a sliding glass door. Any heavy bench, flys, or shoulder press kills.

Quote Originally Posted by Dozer
    Is it something that can get worse with lifting? I feel some pain opening a sliding glass door. Any heavy bench, flys, or shoulder press kills.
    100% yes!

dnap is offline New Member
    yes you need the surgery, mainly b/c of its location. Unless you want to give up shoulder and chest lifing

Bigpup101 is offline Senior Member
    i had orthoscopic surgery due to a labrum tear back when i was 19, my recovery was extremely fast for some reason i had a sling on for about a month. I wasnt supposed to run or lift for awhile after that and go to physical therapy, i never went to PT and i was lifting light about a week later, my bench suffered but at the time i was only benching maybe 245 it dropped to arou8nd 185 if i remember correctly but a few months later i was back to where i started and now my bench is up over 400+lbs i dont think i would have been able to get there though if i never had the surgery, it just hurt too much..good luck and the sooner the better bro

Quil is offline Member
    I had surgery for this last year in January...4 weeks in a sling, 6 months of rehab. I am just now getting to the point where I can bench and do heavy shoulder movements pain free....I was starting to wonder if it would ever be the same again. Just be patient with it, and do try and do too much too soon. That's one surgery I'd never want to go through again. Good luck man.

IMO if you want to keep presing surgery is the option

Bigpup101 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quil
    I had surgery for this last year in January...4 weeks in a sling, 6 months of rehab. I am just now getting to the point where I can bench and do heavy shoulder movements pain free....I was starting to wonder if it would ever be the same again. Just be patient with it, and do try and do too much too soon. That's one surgery I'd never want to go through again. Good luck man.

wow, a ki9d i went to school with had the same surgery as me as well and used the same surgeon, and he says pretty much what you are saying that it really bothered him and he still has trouble with it, i guess i was a rare case

Quil is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigpup101
    wow, a ki9d i went to school with had the same surgery as me as well and used the same surgeon, and he says pretty much what you are saying that it really bothered him and he still has trouble with it, i guess i was a rare case
    Yeah, you are very lucky it was that easy for you. For a long time, I'd put 135 on the bench to warm up with and have pain/discomfort in that shoulder. Like I said, I am just now getting to where it doesn't hurt at all anymore.

gellert32 is offline New Member
    causes of labrum tears are usually acute traumas or repetitive activities that cause stress in the shoulder, so continued stress to the area will only make it worse, in some cases. You have to understand the type tear that the labrum has suffered. A tear due to instability of the shoulder (dislocations), requires reattachment of the labrum to the socket (this is a surgical procedure)
    If the labrum is only tattered no treatment at all may be necessary (maybe rehab) because it only causes minor symptoms, however if it is a large tear, or it is completely torn off it has to be cut out, or repaired.

Some things you may want to try before going under the knife include a rehabilitation program which is focused on strengthening the shoulder muscles and other surrounding muscles. Start to include range of motion training into your routine and some anti-inflammatory meds to relieve some of the pain.

Thread Information