Tommy Gunn is offline Member

It's been nearly 10 weeks post surgery

On March 21, 2006 while flat bench pressing, I completely tore my pec tendon at the musculo-tendenous junction. It was not torn from the bone, it was torn where the muscle becomes a tendon. 7 weeks later on May, 9 2006 I had surgery to repair this. My surgeon only reattached 75% of the tendon. He said the other 25% was too scarred down to reattach. He drilled holes in my humurus bone and reattached the tendon through there. I have been in physical therapy 8 weeks now. There is still some swelling in my chest and it balls up if I do anything that activates my chest (like a fly motion).

Well my problem is, any time I do an extension motion (like pulling my arms back or lifting my arms over my head and pulling them down) my bicep is in pain. It hurts bad. There is also some soreness in the bicep area. I went to see my doctor last week and he said the reason it's sore is because the bicep area is where he drilled the holes and reattached the tendons. He said that can take months before it goes away. He said in 2 weeks (when I'm done with PT and return to light lifting) it's ok if I lift and feel this pain...he said "just fight through it, it's just surgery pain." WTF!? I was always taught if you feel pain...STOP now he's telling me in 2 weeks when I start lifting again, if I feel this pain...just keep going?

And I asked my doctor if I could get another MRI to see if everything is OK, he said no because he didn't feel it was necessary to give another MRI and he said the insurance probably wouldn't cover it anyway. On a positive note, I do feel that the tendon is intact. Both my doctor and PT palpated me and said they feel an intact tendon.

My question is, it's been 10 weeks post surgery...should this still be this sore in my bicep? It kills whenever I do the PT exercises. Should I just fight through the soreness? Should I go and get a second opinion (although I doubt any doctor would see me considering my current doctor is the one who did the surgery on me)? Will this pain ever go away?

The other day I hugged my little nephew and my bicep killed, will this pain ever go away or am I screwed? Will I ever be able to lift weights or box again? Any advice/info/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm 26 years old and am not taking any AAS or HGH. This is pure hell I'm going through.

On a side note I just want to thank all the people on this board that have helped me. Mostly barbndr, Doc Sust, winny100, and MMA. You guys have been great and I hope 1 year from today I can put this injury behind me.
    Last edited by Tommy Gunn; 07-15-2006 at 08:38 PM.

Kale is offline ~ Vet~ I like Thai Girls
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gunn
    On March 21, 2006 while flat bench pressing, I completely tore my pec tendon at the musculo-tendenous junction. 7 weeks later on May, 9 2006 I had surgery to repair this. My surgeon reattached 80% of the tendon . He drilled holes in my humurus bone and reattached the tendon through there. I have been in physical therapy 8 weeks now. There is still some swelling in my chest and it balls up if I do anything that activates my chest (like a fly motion).

Well my problem is, any time I do an extension motion (like pulling my arms back or lifting my arms over my head and pulling them down) my bicep is in pain. It hurts bad. There is also some soreness in the bicep area. I went to see my doctor last week and he said the reason it's sore is because the bicep area is where he drilled the holes and reattached the tendons. He said that can take months before it goes away. He said in 2 weeks (when I'm done with PT and return to light lifting) it's ok if I lift and feel this pain...he said "just fight through it, it's just surgery pain." WTF!? I was always taught if you feel pain...STOP now he's telling me in 2 weeks when I start lifting again, if I feel this pain...just keep going?

And I asked my doctor if I could get another MRI to see if everything is OK, he said no because he didn't feel it was necessary to give another MRI and he said the insurance probably wouldn't cover it anyway.

My question is, it's been 10 weeks post surgery...should this still be this sore in my bicep? It kills whenever I do the PT exercises. Should I just fight through the soreness? Should I go and get a second opinion (although I doubt any doctor would see me considering my current doctor is the one who did the surgery on me)? Will this pain ever go away?

The other day I hugged my little nephew and my bicep killed, will this pain ever go away or am I screwed? Will I ever be able to lift weights or box again? Any advice/info/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm 26 years old and am not taking any AAS or HGH. This is pure hell I'm going through.

On a side note I just want to thank all the people on this board that have helped me. Mostly barbndr, Doc Sust, winny100, and MMA. You guys have been great and I hope 1 year from today I can put this injury behind me.
    Bro during physical therapy this is just not true. One of my boys was in a shocking motorbike accident and he almost lost his right leg. The pain he went through in physical therapy required him to have morphine for a lot of the time, but the Physiotherapists would just push him through the pain because thats what you have to do to gain full flexibility again. Sudden onset of pain from an excercise is a different story all together.

Death is offline Junior Member
    If it were me, i would take a lot more time off. No one knows how you feel better than yourself.. I would take a lot longer off for genuine long term healing. I hope you do, forget about pushing yourself in the gym, rehab only imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Kale
    the Physiotherapists would just push him through the pain because thats what you have to do to gain full flexibility again.
    That's the thing, it doesn't hurt due to lack of flexibility. My ROM is actually doing quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kale
    Sudden onset of pain from an excercise is a different story all together.
    That's the case I'm dealing with. If I'm just standing there talking to someone, the bicep doesn't hurt. But if I do certain motions with my arm, my bicep kills...and it's been 10 weeks post op!

I'm thinking either a) my doctor botched the operation or b) I did something to aggravate this the early weeks after the operation. Like I said my doctor won't sign for another MRI because he doesn't think it's necessary. Either way I think I'm screwed.

Kale is offline ~ Vet~ I like Thai Girls
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gunn
    That's the thing, it doesn't hurt due to lack of flexibility. My ROM is actually doing quite well.

That's the case I'm dealing with. If I'm just standing there talking to someone, the bicep doesn't hurt. But if I do certain motions with my arm, my bicep kills...and it's been 10 weeks post op!

I'm thinking either a) my doctor botched the operation or b) I did something to aggravate this the early weeks after the operation. Like I said my doctor won't sign for another MRI because he doesn't think it's necessary. Either way I think I'm screwed.
    Bullshit.. Take control of your own destiny. If you want an MRI then have one, even if you have to pay for it. Its piece of mind for you. Find another Dr if he isnt giving you the service you want

Kale, based on what I described do you think something went wrong with this surgery? Let's say I do get another MRI and it shows NOTHING is wrong, is it safe to assume that the pain in my bicep/brachialis area is just post surgery pain?

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    How many times are you going to post this?

You re-create the same thread every week or more.

I know u are concerned, but you can use the same thread for updates, don't clog the forum with the same thing over and over and over. You are overanalyzing and stressing over something that only TIME WILL DICTATE.

~SC~

Thread Information