Thread: Shin splints?

IXISiDiuSIXI is offline Associate Member

Shin splints?

I currently started running again about 4 weeks ago. It's been about a year or more since I went running. I've always been trying to gain weight so I have never wanted to run because I wanted all the calories I could get. When I work out my legs I usually do the bike and just lift heavy with my legs. I wanted to get back in shape though to shed some body fat now since I've gained over 50 lbs. I've done two cycles in the past year and a half and have really changed my diet lifestyle.

The first couple of weeks I started running I felt like I was always on the verge of pulling a hamstring so I never ran hard, I just did light jogs on the grass and a few sprints here and there. I stayed off of it a whole week and stretched it good everyday. Last week it started to feel 100% better so I started running just around where I live on the sidewalk. Well after my run one night my calves were on fire and felt like they needed to be stretched a lot or something. I ran again on it the next night and about halfway through my muscles around the front of my shins along with my upper and lower calf muscle started to throb in pain(the pain was worse on the lower calf muscle). I had to stop running and get off my legs. The next day they were really sore, but I different kind of sore than when you lift heavy. So I stayed off em and did not run again until tonight, it's been about 4 days and they felt a lot better today so I figured I would give it a shot. Well although I could run longer without the pain a bit longer than the last time I ran, I got the same thing, I had to get off my feet and the throbbing started again but it hurts a lot more than last time :/ All around the same area on the calves. So after some reading I'm figuring it's shin splints, do you guys think it has to do with the two cycles I've done, is my body not used to the extra weight? I've gained over 50lbs with my previous cycles and new workout habits since over a year and half ago, which is kind of the last time I really ran. Has anyone ever had these and what do you recommend I do? Any length of time you guys think this will take to heal?

big L 17 is offline Female Member
    i am interested to i have realy bad shin splits when i run i normally rub bengay on them every few hrs and heating pad helps

heybigdavies is offline New Member
    get some orthodics/new shoes

Thread Information