KAEW44 is offline Senior Member

Has anyone tried cortisone spot injection for pain?

I stretched/tore my tricep tendon at the elbow a year ago doing overhead cable extensions and i let it go for a long time because i thought it would go away but that was a mistake cause now it kind of healed with lots of scarring and not in the right place so it basically causes me tons of pain all the time i cant even put my elbow on the desk without an electric jolt of pain coming through and also it has stopped me from training seriously because it feels so strange i cannot build the confidence to use it full power again.
    Unfortunatly the only doctors around me at this time are medicre third world ones who are so clueless about this injury that they refused to let me get an MRI eventhough they would make money off it!!!
    After the weekend i am going back to the follow up with the doctor and i will insist we take an MRI to see exactly what is wrong so i can find out if i need any surgical correction like suturing it very well onto the bone so it would heal better and i could go back to sports again.

The most drastic measure the doctor suggested was a spot injection for the pain. Has anyone had one of these? some claim it lasts up to a year? what are the side effects of it?
    I am afraid they numb the pain and then i end up doing more damage to it because i dont feel how much i am hurting it while training! Could an injury like this ever be back to normal?

hauss man is offline Member
    i have heard they alson weaken the tendons setting you up for more injuries

edgarr is offline Member
    I have been thinking about this also. It sounds like I have the same injury. I was doing skull chrushers and felt a pop, this was like 1 1/2 years ago. Now my elbow kills me anytime I do tricep workouts. Is your elbow bone really pointy? Mine is and hard. I am wondering if there is a spur there. Well I am going to the best ortho doc in the Southern Wisconsin area next week and see what he says. I will let you know. I hope a shot will work for the summer seeing how I do not want to be in a sling all summer.

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    i did something similar when i think throwing up heavy dumbell to do inclines or something....ended up with pain in elbow...diagnosed with tendonitis (tennis elbow)....cortizone shots worked but only for a few days, cause I'm always going to lift....seemed a lot better when i stopped lifting for a week or 2....but then you get fat....so I deal with the pain...but I'm sure it's no where near what your describing...but i can't do same weights with that arm...like throwing up dumbells or such...i was wondering the same thing if i got more cortizone...if it would just cover up the pain...then be able to go heavy again...then fock it up worse....good luck

KAEW44 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the input guys, the thing is these ortho doctors are putting their reputation on it that its just tendonitis and u know what they might be right but it still feels real bad because it feels like it will give away or tear, i know that tendon is thick and strong in nature but i messed up and injured it and now it just doesnt feel right.
    I have boxed with it no problem because its not the same type of feeling or impact as an isolated weight, and i'm willing to sacrifice not being able to do specific tricep exercises as long as i can substitute them with push ups or something else that works them with other muscles so the stress isnt all on the tricep.
    Well tomorow morning is my appointment so i will ask for the color ultrasound image they can do that on the spot they did it for my shoulder and its second best to an MRI.

bda2424 is offline Junior Member
    the last sentence you said is exactly right..........it does numb the pain and it will allow you to do more damage without knowing you are doing it. These injections are dangerous in that sense and should never be used to get back to daily activities.............in other words...those shots are bad.

hauss man is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bda2424
    the last sentence you said is exactly right..........it does numb the pain and it will allow you to do more damage without knowing you are doing it. These injections are dangerous in that sense and should never be used to get back to daily activities.............in other words...those shots are bad.
    exactly. i just went to an ortho for my shoulder, he said if you are an athlete stay away from the shots because they dont cure the proble all they will do is mask the pain

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by bda2424
    i agree 1000% cortisone masks the pain, it doesnt fix the problem

asimov is offline Junior Member
    Cortisone doesn't mask pain. It's not a pain killer, it's strictly an anti-inflammatory. If you get pain relief it's because cortisone has done it's job and calmed the inflammation. Depening on the type of injury and the type of cortisone (some are more soluable then others) a shot help you for a few weeks to several months. If you take advantage and do a good job strengthening the area, you may never need a shot there again. With the elbow, the most common injections are for the epicondyls (medial or lateral), tricep injections are less common and a little tricky.

As far as it it weakening tendons, that's true, but were talking about a cummulative effect from multiple injections. You'd be fine with one.

tempbrit is offline Member
    Very interesting thread. I have been diagnosed with "tennis Elbow" and have received 2 Cortisone shots from a Orthopedic who specializes in the treatment of Athletes. The information he provided was that in certain Tendonitis cases, the only way it will get better is by Ibuprofen or a Cortisone shot. These treatments reduce inflamation and allow the area to heal. He did say that rehab was absolutely critical and that is what people miss. In my case he suggested that I stay out of the gym completely for 3 weeks (which nearly killed me). Then to start lifting using weights about 25% of my normal lifts, over a period of 6 weeks, gradually work up to your full lifting weights.

I was also given these bands that I wear just below the elbow to hold the tendon in place.

I am very hopeful that this treatment works. I have been a bit scared due to the fact that it took two shots to resolve, however, the Dr. indicated that this was not that uncommon, especially with people who lift.

yeh....i was told to completely rest it but i only laid out 1 week and started lifting again so can't blame nobody but myself for that but weird turnaround...my tennis elbow has switched elbows...well, prolly didn't switched literally but gone in one and i've have it in the other now for several months and it seems as if it is trying to heal as well...i bet if i followed your doc's treatment i would heal it...sounds like a sound plan....keep us posted please

jerol is offline New Member
    Pain medications in general -- whether they're anti-inflammatory, narcotic-based or local anesthetics -- all "mask" pain... that's their job. In the case of tendonitis, though, local anti-inflammatories injected directly into the tendon (such as "cortisone") are particularly attractive, since they attack inflammation of the tendon at the site of pain and have few systemic side effects.

Proper recovery requires three things: first, the reduction of inflammation (local ice, cortisone injections or systemic anti-inflammatory agents like Ibuprofen). Second, disuse of affected tendon... stop doing the exercise that caused the problem. Third, judicious rehab and slow resumption of exercise once the problem has resolved.

I had disabling tendonitis in my right elbow (lateral epicondylitis). I'm right-handed and a surgeon. I got it from doing heavy lateral raises. Let me tell you, every time I shook someone's hand or had to write something I thought I was going to die. Two hydrocortisone shots, two months of no lateral raises and another 2 months of rehab (mainly forearm muscle strengthening) and I have been perfect ever since. I still keep lateral raise movements to a minimum, but I have had no recurrence.

One word of advice: if you ever need a tendon injected, take ibuprofen right before the appointment and immediately ice it afterwards. Those injections can REALLY hurt...

-J

Quote Originally Posted by jerol
    Pain medications in general -- whether they're anti-inflammatory, narcotic-based or local anesthetics -- all "mask" pain... that's their job. In the case of tendonitis, though, local anti-inflammatories injected directly into the tendon (such as "cortisone") are particularly attractive, since they attack inflammation of the tendon at the site of pain and have few systemic side effects.

Proper recovery requires three things: first, the reduction of inflammation (local ice, cortisone injections or systemic anti-inflammatory agents like Ibuprofen). Second, disuse of affected tendon... stop doing the exercise that caused the problem. Third, judicious rehab and slow resumption of exercise once the problem has resolved.

I had disabling tendonitis in my right elbow (lateral epicondylitis). I'm right-handed and a surgeon. I got it from doing heavy lateral raises. Let me tell you, every time I shook someone's hand or had to write something I thought I was going to die. Two hydrocortisone shots, two months of no lateral raises and another 2 months of rehab (mainly forearm muscle strengthening) and I have been perfect ever since. I still keep lateral raise movements to a minimum, but I have had no recurrence.

One word of advice: if you ever need a tendon injected, take ibuprofen right before the appointment and immediately ice it afterwards. Those injections can REALLY hurt...

-J
    glad u whooped that shiat man....
    good advice...
    i know if i rested completely for a couple weeks I could heal mine...i can feel it trying to get better on days off from the gym...i've had to eliminate most dumbell exercises especially heavy ones that require bending the elbow...can only do shrugs cuz you're keeping your arms straight...
    as i've said b4 though how weird that my left elbow where i was diagnosed with tendonitis had pretty much healed by itself and I developed it in the right after already stopping dumbells and/or anything that would irritate the left injury...i guess it's easy to develop such an injury when lifting weights.

jerol is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpkman
    glad u whooped that shiat man....
    good advice...
    i know if i rested completely for a couple weeks I could heal mine...i can feel it trying to get better on days off from the gym...i've had to eliminate most dumbell exercises especially heavy ones that require bending the elbow...can only do shrugs cuz you're keeping your arms straight...
    as i've said b4 though how weird that my left elbow where i was diagnosed with tendonitis had pretty much healed by itself and I developed it in the right after already stopping dumbells and/or anything that would irritate the left injury...i guess it's easy to develop such an injury when lifting weights.
    It is exceptionally easy to do, especially when you get a bit older. I think that sometimes we -- as weightlifters -- tend to overlift. By this I mean that we lift heavier weight than our joints and tendons can handle. Our muscles can do it, but our tendons and joints cannot.

I really think this is why AAS-users tend to get joint and tendon problems. They have great increases in their strength and they lift heavier weights very quickly. Their joints and tendons simply can't handle the stress. Slow progress is usually the best course -- especially if you are older. Give those tendons time to adjust... and don't ignore exercises that target the muscles of the forearm (for elbow problems). Grip strength and wrist extension exercises are critical to the rehab process.

Good luck!

-J

guest589745 is offline 2/3 Deca 1/3 Test
    It worked for me after 2 of them. I had a type 1 ac ligament irritation in my shoulder.

I think I didnt rest and recoup long enough though becuase it is messed up worse this time, 10 months later.

Tommy Gunn is offline Member
    I have a question for all of you. I had surgery for a torn pec May 9, 2006. Since than I still have some pain in the bicep area near the insertion whenever I do certain motions. My doc prescribed me prednisone for 6 days. It took some of the pain down. He said that if in a month my pain isn't down he will give me a cortizone shot in the bicep area near the pec insertion.

Is this a smart idea? I thought cortizone weakens tendons. A month from now it will be 5 months post surgery. If he gives me a cortizone shot than, will it severly weaken my tendon and I might possibly retear it?

Don't mean to hijack your thread I just need some advice bad.

TG, I haven't read that myself (that the shot will weaken the tendon) I'll have to research that some more, but I know it has been noted that the shot will give you the illusion of being healed and thus you possibly going heavier or doing something that WILL harm it further.
    hope that helps....wish you a complete recovery man

v-force700 is offline Associate Member
    Cortisone can do wonders if your injury is minor. However, if you have a serious injury it will give some relief for a while, due to the anti-inflammatory effects. However, it cannot repair existing damage. And if the injury is minor, it is necessary that you let it do its job. ie.. Rest of the infected area, and of course rehab.

I had success with it in my left wrist where I had a minor sprain.

I did not have success with it in both shoulders. It was later determined I had bone spurs and had to have surgery to have them removed.
    I just recently had my fourth inj. in my right elbow. I suspect a tear in the tendon, that will most likely result in surgery.

I you get Cortisone remember the 3 R's REST, REHAB AND REST. If you are in the middle of a cycle, use it to cover pain, and continue to lift it can make the injury worse. And in some cases, it may even be un repairable even with surgery.

"A case in point" I know a guy who had a doc that would hit his elbow with Cortisone every time it hurt. Cortisone over time will degrade both tissue and bone. It was determined he needed surgery. When they got in there the bone where the tendon attaches was dead. And a normal attachment would not work. They had to grind bone and screw the tendon to the bone.
    3 years later, he still can’t bench over 185, where at one time he was at 335..

<<<V>>>

gittinbig2 is offline New Member
    I used to have my doc out them in between my ac joint, worked for a while. Still had to go under the knife. If the injury is bad enough for injections you need some kind of surgery. Don't waste any time get an MRI and see how bad it is.

Thread Information