Heat or Ice? (rotator cuff)

my rotator cuff has been giving me problems for a couple months. ive just recently started doing some exercises and getting back into my diet. the sticky on shoulder injuries says heat is good to increase blood flow. ive read many times that heat will aid inflammation also. im wondering if im interpreting something wrong or is this debateable? let me know what you think, thanks

skullsmasher is offline Banned
    Ice is gonna be yer best bet for things like after working out or if you get a sudden pain. Heat is more for warming up before you lift and every know and then I take a real hot shower after I lift but then ice it too.

I have had bad shoulder problems for years.

Thera bands are a godsend, stick with em, look into it.

DrBell is offline Junior Member

Ice Ice Baby

Ice is a natural anti-inflammatory. It vasoconstrics and pushes all the inflammatory chemicals out of the area, thus decreasing your pain. Also, you will get new, healing nutrients return as it comes back to room temp. You can alternate heat and ice for a pumping type mechanism. Always use ice initially.

uao85 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skullsmasher View Post
    Ice is gonna be yer best bet for things like after working out or if you get a sudden pain. Heat is more for warming up before you lift and every know and then I take a real hot shower after I lift but then ice it too.

I have had bad shoulder problems for years.

Thera bands are a godsend, stick with em, look into it.
    yep yep, when my shoulder starts to flare up atleast every other month, I take a hot hot shower in the morning to loosen it up some, then at night after wo or shoulder excercises with a theraband, I ice it 15 on, 15 off for an hour or two before I go to sleep. Goodluck

Remington

D-Bo Dre is offline Member
    how does this theraband work?? I looked it up online and it looks like a rubber sling wrap.. but I cant picture how it could be used to help your shoulder?

Every now and then I get shoulder pain from an injury I got a while back while doing behind the neck military presses .. I now avoid the bench press b/c the movement hurts so much. So I stick to just dumbell presses..

CULT is offline New Member

Shoulder Problems

Stop Any Military Presses. Those Are Suicide On Your Rotator Cuff. Do Not Do Upright Row Either. Use Dumbbell Presses To 90 Degree Angle Only. (lower To Ear Only). Lateral Raises Are Okay. Use Light To Mod Weight. Celebrex Is Good For The Injury. Ice At Night. Heat In The Morning In The Shower. Advil For Immediate Pain. Pain Persist More Than 6 Weeks Get To The Doctor For A Cortisone Shot. But...........stop Working Out For Two Weeks And Give It A Rest. Do Some Cardio For Awhile Until It Heals. Im Talking From Experience. People Dont Realize How Important Rest Is. Good Luck.

skullsmasher is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Bo Dre View Post
    how does this theraband work?? I looked it up online and it looks like a rubber sling wrap.. but I cant picture how it could be used to help your shoulder?

Every now and then I get shoulder pain from an injury I got a while back while doing behind the neck military presses .. I now avoid the bench press b/c the movement hurts so much. So I stick to just dumbell presses..
    Look up thera band exercises, they seem lame or whatever, but they actually hit a part of your inner shoulder muscles that feels really good and will help stabalize your shoulder greatly. Trust me, they are a good investment for our situation.

abkenstar is offline New Member
    Its difficult for me to understand why some people look towards heat as an option to heal this kind of problems. Maybe this was the popular belief and people have been following the same for long. Ice comes as a natural choice and is the instant remedy for such problems. I do not know about the bands about which you are talking about but for me the ice would always be the option. At the same time can someone tell me about the cholestrol lowering medication
    Last edited by abkenstar; 12-13-2007 at 06:11 AM.

Thread Information