wakatak87 is offline Junior Member

Anyone worried about arthritis?

Hanging out with my older pain-complaining relatives during thanksgiving the other day made me think about how use of hands effects you once you hit 50 or so... my hands are rather small and pathetic, sometimes they tire out long before my muscles do. Could this mess me up as an adult?

Does anyone do any hand exercises?

timtim is offline Member
    im in my 19th year of training and i have gotten arthritis in my shoulders. it sucks but it is to be expected. train around the pain, it doesnt hurt bad all the time.

hand exercises could be db tosses for 1 to 2 minutes, farmers walk, thick bar holds, or plate holds.

naturalsux is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by timtim View Post
    im in my 19th year of training and i have gotten arthritis in my shoulders. it sucks but it is to be expected. train around the pain, it doesnt hurt bad all the time.

hand exercises could be db tosses for 1 to 2 minutes, farmers walk, thick bar holds, or plate holds.
    will these help someone keep from getting arthritis?

stacked566 is offline Associate Member
    Well arthritis is clinically presented in two forms. Osteoarthiritis, and rheumatoid arthiritis. Now we can eliminate rheumatoid arthritis unless you have a history of uric acid kidney stones, which predisposes uric acid crystals and a subsequent immune attack of the synovial fluid capsule (obviously this is over simplified). As for osteoarthritis, the main source here is abuse and improper adaptation of the bone to form spurs, and later on bone mice which damage and puncture the synovial joint. Proper stretching and warm up can help to prevent this from happenening as well as developing strong cartilage and synovial capsules through auxillary muscle training (such as rotator cuff excercises for shoulders, and hip a**uction/adduction for the hip joints.

wakatak87 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stacked566 View Post
    Well arthritis is clinically presented in two forms. Osteoarthiritis, and rheumatoid arthiritis. Now we can eliminate rheumatoid arthritis unless you have a history of uric acid kidney stones, which predisposes uric acid crystals and a subsequent immune attack of the synovial fluid capsule (obviously this is over simplified). As for osteoarthritis, the main source here is abuse and improper adaptation of the bone to form spurs, and later on bone mice which damage and puncture the synovial joint. Proper stretching and warm up can help to prevent this from happenening as well as developing strong cartilage and synovial capsules through auxillary muscle training (such as rotator cuff excercises for shoulders, and hip a**uction/adduction for the hip joints.

ahh thanks very much for the good info. now the question, how to "warm up" and stretch the hands?

There is an old-standby of actually putting the hands in the warmest liquid you can stand in the morning, or before training in your case. I have spoken to clinical doctors who advise people that can't take arthritis medication (whether it be due to possible muscle wasting or liver complications, renal dysfunction etc) and anyways they actually warm up some wax to liquid, let it cool slightly so they don't burn themselves, and dip their hands in it. The wax solidifies, then they peel it off, and their hands are warmed up. Personally, I think some light grip work such as pinching two 10lb weights with the hands and light resistance grippers could be of some aid. The only drawback to this is that if you already have some bone spurs it will exacerbate this problem. I would recommend using straps on any lift possible, and keeping the hands warm whenever possible by means of gloves, etc.

Amorphic is offline Veritas, Aequitas ~
    im mostly worried about joint arthristis rather than in my hands.

your hands have the most joints of any bone system in the body. henceforth it is the most problematic.

Thread Information