Karo is offline Associate Member

Shin-Splints or Shin-Pump?

Since I started my cycle I have been having trouble running on the treadmill. At about the 5 minute mark the muscles in the front of my shins get really tight (pumped) and start to burn like crazy. So much so that I can't lift my toes up as I run. At first I thought it was shin-splints because I do have 3 bumps on my right shin, I don't have any bumps on my left shin either and it hurts just as bad but I never had this problem before I started my cycle. I could run 2-3 miles even on the track without any problems at all. I've also gained 16lbs in the last 8 weeks. Could it be that my shins aren't used to the new weight that I've added?
    Anyone ever have this problem?

Thanks

Karo

The title is supposed to read- Shin-Splints OR Shin-Pump not "of". Sorry for the typo!

thai-lan is offline Member
    i got the same problem , my shings get pumped too fast especially when i run on hard surface. And i cant lift my toes up after i get the shin pumps though i got new good running shoes with great insoles , my shins pumps getting better before i got new shoes and insoles id get shin pumps within 5mins of run but now i get them within 8- 10mins ..
    I say good running shoes are the best factor to reduce shin pumps, oh!! ALSO DO NOT forget to stretch !!

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    what cycle are you on?

and this is why I rarely run anymore.

it's probably a combination of both things you listed. hit the elliptical. solid cardio. low impact. easy to gauge HR.

Im 8weeks into my cycle
    1-13 Test E 500/week
    1-5 20/30mg dbools
    7-13 40/50mg anavar

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    ^I meant the OP, but thanks for sharing.

reardbandit is offline Associate Member
    Good running shoes can solve a lot of this. How much experience do you have running? Sometimes it is a result of bad running form too. Yes, there is a wrong way to run. I would suggest running outside as well. The treadmill almost always stunts a persons stride, especially if you are tall as I am. I can't run on a mill at all.

Quote Originally Posted by reardbandit View Post
    I would suggest running outside as well.
    on the road?? i m sure road has harder surface than threadmill. Which is bad for knees and lower back also you'd get shin pumps faster than usual

Yeah, but it allows for a more natural stride. Also, you could run cross country, which isn't as pounding as the pavement. If you want to avoid that altogether, swim.

Quote Originally Posted by derek7m View Post
    what cycle are you on?

and this is why I rarely run anymore.

it's probably a combination of both things you listed. hit the elliptical. solid cardio. low impact. easy to gauge HR.
    Test E/Deca Cycle

I like to run because I have a treadmill at home. I can do my cardio in the morning without having to go to the gym. I'll probably start using the elliptical machine at the gym but I have to be able to run as well. I have a couple 5k's coming up this spring that i'm doing.

Thanks for the help

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    I hate running on treadmills.

Complete garbage.

Get a solid pair of running shoes, find a track (not cement), and even a pair of those neoprene leg sleeves.

jfalco is offline Member
    i can't run on a treadmill. i get sore shins every time and quit after 10 minutes. I've run my whole life and I can go 10 miles outside w/o any pain.

jfalco is offline Member
    That extra 16 pounds you're carrying is definitely part of the reason you're getting shin pain.

kickinit is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfalco View Post
    That extra 16 pounds you're carrying is definitely part of the reason you're getting shin pain.
    Not alwys though, I have had shin splints since I was a kid, soccer didnt help. Anyway just thought I would throw that in.

jfalco is offline Member
    All I was saying is that the extra weight is sinificant. Ever notice the way runners are built?

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jfalco View Post
    All I was saying is that the extra weight is sinificant. Ever notice the way runners are built?

LOL that's funny

jfalco is offline Member
    Imagine how slow that guy would be if he had to carry 16 pounds of muscle

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I used an elliptical-like machine at the gym today and my shins were fine. I'm going to buy new sneakers and ease my way back into running. Funny how a few of you mentioned hurting worse from the treadmill. I'm exactly the opposite. The track/road puts more stress on my knees, lower back etc but I don't feel any of that on the treadmill. Odd.

running on road sucks , too hard surface . Especially if your knees and lower back get sore as bad as mine , i suggest you not run on road. Good luck with the cardio after you get new running shoes. My shins feel good right now but lately im mentally challenging with myself which sucks because of i feel like running but my brain bitches about cardio and tells me to stop... I know its funny and stupid
    Last edited by thai-lan; 03-31-2009 at 04:19 PM.

xnotoriousx is offline Anabolic Member
    I get really bad shin pumps and in my lower front of my legs I get almost like a bad bruse feeling. They feel very tired after 1-2 days of solid cardio VERY SORE and tired.

I'm thinking about getting a nice pair of shoes along with some glucosamine and chondroitin

Jfew44 is offline Senior Member
    The only time I ever get shin splints is when I'm on clen , but I've stopped running altogether. I stick with the elliptical for the sole purpose of monitoring my heartrate.

Thread Information