j.pyatt is offline New Member

Severed index fingers tendons... Help?!

Hi all i have managed to sever my index finger tendons on my right hand. ive had the surgery and all went well. am currently in a split. have started little exercises already but with it being a tendon problem can i be taking anything to heal it quickier??
    Was taking test heptylate and anavar but have stopped this now because i have read test stops or doesnt help collagen?!
    would growth hormone be worth it ?and deca ?
    Sorry bout all the questions just so impatient to get back to compete again at comps ive been invited to.any info would be very greatfull thanks alot.

F4iGuy is offline Senior Member
    I've researched this topic a bit. Dough Miller (bodbuilder with advanced degrees) wrote this article. Supplementation for Joint Health

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having healthy, pain - free joints is crucial for making consistent gains in the gym and for maintaining good health in general
    Weightlifting can help one build a muscular physique or create a pleasantly toned figure. Weightlifting can also wreak havoc on joints though. Constant pounding of weights day in and day out has led to more than a fair share of lifters complaining of shoulder or knee problems. Having healthy, pain-free joints is crucial for making consistent gains in the gym and for maintaining good health in general.

It’s common for people to think Non- Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) such as aspirin and ibuprofen are the answer when they experience joint discomfort. These types of drugs can help reduce pain and inflammation but are not long-term solutions for avoiding or healing injuries. Plus they potentially inhibit protein synthesis -- which certainly isn’t good when trying to build muscle -- and are associated with other negative side effects as well like stomach ulcers, harm to liver and kidneys, and bruising more easily.

On the other hand, there are a number of over-the-counter (OTC) supplements on the market today, which can help prevent joint injury and help promote the healing of existing injuries.

Glucosamine and Chondroitin

Glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate are naturally occurring substances in the body. Glucosamine is a form of amino sugar that is a precursor to a molecule called a glycosaminoglycan, which is used in the formation and repair of cartilage. It also aids lubrication of the cartilage around damaged joints. Chondroitin sulfate is a relative of glucosamine. It is a type of glycosaminoglycan rich in sulfur. It’s one of the major constituents of cartilage and helps provide structure. It also assists in lubricating joints by helping retain water in cartilage. Studies have shown that patients supplementing with glucosamine and chondroitin for one to two months experience pain relief similar to that achieved though NSAIDS, without the side effects.

Generally recommended dosages are 500– 1500 mg of glucosamine sulfate and 500– 1200 mg of chondroitin sulfate, one to two times per day.

MSM

Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) is a naturally occurring, organic, sulfur-containing compound related to another sulfur-containing substance, dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO). MSM appears to inhibit pain impulses that travel along nerve fibers, acting as an analgesic. Because of this property and MSM’s potential anti-inflammatory actions, MSM is often used for combating the symptoms of arthritis, chronic back pain, and carpal tunnel syndrome. Studies have shown that sulfur levels in arthritic joints are lower than in healthy joints, and MSM may help by delivering needed sulfur to the afflicted areas. It may also help to maintain or repair cartilage and reduce allergy symptoms by possibly blocking histamines.

The recommended dosage of MSM varies but is generally 1000–2000mg, one to three times a day. Using MSM cream or gel in addition to the supplement may provide additional benefit.

Bromelain

Bromelain is a collection of protein-digesting enzymes found in pineapple juice and in the stem of pineapple plants. Bromelain has been shown to have a myriad of health benefits including wound healing enhancement, anti-tumor action, cardiovascular and circulatory improvement, and digestive assistance to name just a few. The mechanism of the anti-inflammatory activity is not very well understood, but numerous studies have shown bromelain’s ability to speed healing time and reduce pain following various surgical procedures.

Bromelain is available as a single ingredient product or in combination with other supplementary enzymes. Dosage ranges from 500–2000 GDUs (gelatin digestion units) one to three times a day.

Celadrin

Celadrin is an all-natural product that is a patented, complex blend of special esterified fatty acids derived from bovine tallow oil. Celadrin is reported to decrease inflammation and lubricate cell membranes throughout the body, helping to restore fluids that cushion bones and joints in order to promote flexibility and mobility. The decreased inflammation allows surrounding tissue the opportunity to promote healthy joints.

Celadrin is available in both oral and topical applications. Celadrin cream can be applied directly to affected areas on an as-needed basis, while oral supplementation is typically 350mg, three times a day.

Cissus quadrangularis

Cissus quadrangularis is a unique blend of vitamins, minerals, and plant sterol compounds that can facilitate the building and strengthening of muscle and bone, help deliver nutrients to tendon related injuries, and soothe the pain of sports related injuries. Studies have shown that Cissus has the ability to speed bone fracture healing and can lead to a much faster increase in bone tensile strength. Most research on Cissus focuses on its bone healing properties; however, Cissus may improve the healing rate of connective tissue in general, including tendons.

Cissus has analgesic effects like the OTC drugs Tylenol and Motrin, which can be harmful when abused and do not help cure the problem. Additionally, Cissus is anabolic and anti-catabolic. It helps suppress cortisol and promotes an increase of blood flow to muscles, causing a pump-like effect.

The typical recommended daily dosage of Cissus is 3 to 6 grams to accelerate fracture healing, although each product contains a different extract of Cissus so it is best to follow the recommended dosage on the products’ labels.

Treating an injury is better than simply masking it with painkillers. Of course, avoiding injury is better than having to treat one. Get a jump on joint care early on in your training and increase your chances of avoiding frustrating and limiting injuries down the road. If it’s already too late to avoid injury, you can at least start treating your ailments and begin the healing processes. Either way, make joint care a priority in your regimen and do so without the risk of the negative side effects by taking advantage of the joint care supplements available on the market today.
    By Doug Miller IFPA Natural Pro BB ...
    Last edited by F4iGuy; 07-09-2011 at 08:38 AM.

srbottrill is offline New Member
    i did this on my left hand when I was 14. keep doing the exercises they give you, don't strain it but don't let your other fingers take over for it. when I did it, it was 1991. there has been massive benefits and improvements to what can be done now. they never gave me anything to regrow my tendons and when I was 24 i got another surgery to restore movement as i only had 10% i not have 99% and a fiber-optic cable that runs from the tip of my finger to the middle of my palm.

Quote Originally Posted by j.pyatt View Post
    Hi all i have managed to sever my index finger tendons on my right hand. ive had the surgery and all went well. am currently in a split. have started little exercises already but with it being a tendon problem can i be taking anything to heal it quickier??
    Was taking test heptylate and anavar but have stopped this now because i have read test stops or doesnt help collagen?!
    would growth hormone be worth it ?and deca ?
    Sorry bout all the questions just so impatient to get back to compete again at comps ive been invited to.any info would be very greatfull thanks alot.

Thread Information