mwilkinson is offline Associate Member

pulled or torn hamstring

just wondering the normal steps to recovery. it hurts enough that i haven't walked right in 3 days because of pain. pulled it sprinting and fell to the ground. i was going to start a new cycle in two weeks too. any suggestions?

HansVonSchnittchen is offline Junior Member
    I pulled mine today, but I think mine is a grade 1 pull, so hopefully within a few weeks I'll be up and at it again. But I think you should definately consider seeing a doctor as well. I was not in a lot of pain, but it was noticable. And for you stating that it's changed the way you walk for the past 3 days means you should consider having it checked out. Just my take.

I got this below from Livestrong website...

1. Pulled Hamstring Defined

The hamstrings comprise the group of three muscles on the back of your thigh that function to bend your knee and straighten your hip. When you run, your hamstrings become fully stretched just before your foot hits the ground; this is when you're most at risk of injury. If you pull a hamstring, you'll know it, because you'll feel a sudden, sharp pain or muscle spasm in the back of your leg. Swelling and bruising may appear later.

Free Knee Pain Relief Kit Get Free Info On Osteoarthritis Knee Pain Treatment Today. Osteoarthritis-Relief.com

Sponsored Links

2. Recognize the Severity of a Hamstring Pull

Grade 1: Tightness in the back of your thigh and discomfort when walking, usually with minimal swelling, because only minor tears have occurred in the muscle.

Grade 2: Inability to fully straighten your knee, a limp when you try to walk and possibly some painful twinges occasionally with activity. Because the muscle is partially torn, you are more likely to have swelling, and you'll feel pain when you press on the strained area.

Grade 3: Walking significantly impacted; severe pain, especially when bending your knee. You may need to use crutches. You'll see immediate swelling, because the hamstring has been severely torn or completely ruptured. Grade 3 hamstring injuries are rare.

You can usually treat a Grade 1 hamstring injury at home. For a Grade 2 tear, a physical therapist can design an exercise program to help with your recovery. If you suspect a Grade 3 tear, see your physician, as you may need a surgical repair.

3. Start Treatment Right Away

No matter which category of strain you experience, start treatment immediately. Remember the mnemonic PRICE--Protection, Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. Prop your feet up and keep an ice pack on the spot where you feel the pain for 15 to 20 minutes several times each day for at least the first 48 to 72 hours. Use a lightweight compression bandage, but be careful that it's not too tight. If it's painful to walk, use crutches. Rest your leg frequently, but don't cut out all activity. Keeping moving can be helpful. If your pain and swelling don't improve, call your doctor.

4. Move On to Rehab

Begin gentle hamstring and calf muscle stretching exercises immediately, as long as they don't increase your pain. It's not uncommon to get immediate relief followed by an increase in pain. This should go away after you repeat the stretching exercises. As your pain and swelling decreases, slowly add strengthening exercises to your program. To avoid a chronic problem, be sure to complete your rehab. Give your hamstring the chance for a full recovery before resuming the activity that caused the damage in the first place.

5. Prevent Future Pulled Hamstrings

Age, fatigue, nerve impingement in the lower lumbar spine, lack of strength and flexibility are all contributing factors to hamstring pulls. You can't change your age, but you can get adequate rest, and maintain good strength and flexibility. This is especially important if you've already injured your hamstring, as it will be more prone to future injuries.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/10...#ixzz1pWxcn4Zm

mwilkinson is offline Associate Member
    thanks hans. def. a good read!!!! i think mine is a 1.5 grade. haha. but man this sucks. good luck with yours too!

Thread Information