AdrenalineJunkie is offline Associate Member
    This is just karma. My dad used to throw his back out all the time and I would tell him hes a whiner and overreacting when he would complain but damn he was right, this kills. I can't even bend over and every step I make is brutal.

Heres how it went down: I was at the gym and I always start with cardio so I hopped on the treadmill and busted out a quarter marathon like I usually do on the weekdays for my training plan. I ran it a little faster than I usually do and it made my lower back pretty tight and tense. I was in a rush so instead of being smart about it and stretching I went straight to the bench to start lifting. I did warm my muscles up with a lighter weight just to get the blood flowing and then put 275 on the rack for my first set. On the extension of the first rep my lower back was so tight it hurt instantly like I had pulled a muscle really bad. I racked it and thought I would try it again but would need to stretch it up. I tried to sit up off the bench and realized I had done a lot more damage than I thought as I could barely sit up and pain shot through my back. I tried stretching it and sitting in the hot tub but nothing helped.

I hobbled out and the 60+ year old obese man passed me up ... so Im sitting at home icing it and just pissed at myself. This is what happens when you cut corners with your workouts and I have no one to blame but me. I called my dad and apologized for all the times I gave him shit.

The pain is in my lower back, mainly just left of my spine. The story gets better. Im moving tomorrow and barely have anything packed. I cant bend over to lift a paper...really dont know how Im going to lift a bed, dressers, tv, etc. Luckily Ive had some friends who stepped up for me and are going to help and my girl is coming over to help me pack.

I'm ready for mockery and flaming for this rookie move which Im good sport and can take but would also really appreciate any advice or insight for the quickest recovery possible. I need to get back to training as soon as possible. Thanks everyone
    Last edited by AdrenalineJunkie; 08-22-2012 at 09:31 AM.

johnnylucifer is offline Junior Member
    If you don't have a history of this problem, you may have just pulled/twisted something and now have something inflamed...if you are lucky. If you go see a doc, he will likely give you prednisone to see if it helps.. If it does, the problem may clear up and get you back to 100%.

I twisted my back something awful once. Got on pred and 100% 2 days later.

If the prednisone clears it up, you will have to be extra careful for the rest of your natural born life. You will be prone to this happening again. No matter how quickly it heals. Always remember that. And as you get older, it will take longer and longer to get better.

That is how one of my back injurys went down anyway.

Wishing you the best. Back injuries are the worst...Virtually impossible to workout around them. Long healing time AND to top it all off, I don't think they ever heal back to 100%.

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Sorry to hear. I know from first hand experience that back problems are a pain.

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    if it's muscular, it could be a cramp/spasm. if you do not have a muscle relaxer, then booze works for me too.
    I have an inversion table, but it doesn't seem your problem is alignment. the traction aspect of it might work, so something to think about.
    hot shower, a shot of bouurbon, and two alleve might get you through the night.

Well, close to what johnny said, in about 3 days time i was doing pretty well and getting back to myself. Then the weekend rolled around and I joined my buddies on the lake on the boat. IDK if it was from the waves and jerking of the boat or what but after my back was really sore and the next morning I couldn't get out of bed, literally had to get drugged up to get out of bed and to the doc. He took a look and said he could literally see my back in full blown spasms which he said was likely from a pulled irritated muscle. So i was prescribed muscle relaxers and took it easy for about a week and a half, terrified the slightest thing might set it off again. This past week ive been back to myself and back at the gym training. I havent been lifting as hard, but atleast Im back in there. Hopefully it heals fully and I dont have to go down this road again. It is still sore daily, but the pain is gone and i think the soreness is contributed to my time away from the gym.

But let me tell you, for that time I was laid up I have never felt so incapable in my life. I literally couldn't do anything without pain....I have a new look on people who live with chronic back pain and that's why Im extra cautious making sure that doesn't turn into me.

If you lived close to manteca, ca, i'd give you mine. been laying around in the garage for years collecting dust. in excellent shape too

That looks like a dream. I imagine it would work numbers. But yea, def not worth the gas money it would take to drive from MN! Appreciate the offer though, might check out the local craigslist and see what's out there.

JohnnyVegas is offline Knowledgeable Member- Recognized Member Winner - $100
    Definitely try the inversion table. I did spinal decompression and it was like a miracle. I will still need surgery some day, but the decompression got me on my feet and functional again.

Potential is offline New Member
    man i love my inversion table, have a couple compact disks... its amazing..

Quote Originally Posted by AdrenalineJunkie View Post
    That looks like a dream. I imagine it would work numbers. But yea, def not worth the gas money it would take to drive from MN! Appreciate the offer though, might check out the local craigslist and see what's out there.
    they are inexpensive new (under $200 i think???) and I've seen em for around $100 on CL

greenwell001 is offline Member
    Same I just sold mine two days ago, it did me wonders as well, but eventually started collecting dust as well. Its definitely worth it. Mine was a teeter hang up. I think it was around 270$ when I got it. Check out eBay, well worth the money bro

mrsmurphy is offline Female Member
    Love! My inversion table- its been a true back saver!

Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    I have experienced very simialar issues that eventually resulted in a herntaied disk, a pinched nerve and back surgery. Don't mess with your back! If it is a muscle strain take it easy, take some over counter AI's (anti inflam's in this case lol) and stay out of the hot tub. Heat is not your friend for this. Ice it if anything. That muscle is swollen and irratated and you want to bring the swelling down.

Thanks guys, I actually borrowed one from a family friend and am happy to report my back has been doing great. My marathon is only a month away so ive still been skeptical to hit the weights hard but am feeling good.

Still cautious until im I get this run under my belt but your guys advice helped a lot. And thanks lunk for telling me to stay out of the hot tub, i switched to only ice and would've continued going to the hot tub had you not told me.

Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    No prob...also it is very important to build your core...strong abs support the back.

GreMos is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunk1
    No prob...also it is very important to build your core...strong abs support the back.
    This^^

Thread Information