Jonnom is offline New Member

Calf pain stopping me from running

Calf pain stopping me from running
    Hey not sure if this is the right section to post this but I'm hoping to find some help.

I've been trying to run to increase my fitness but I have to stop after about a minute due to pain in the lower calf. It hurts that bad that even walking is painful once it starts to hurt. Can anyone tell me what is going on here? I tried resting for a few days and I can get a slowish jog going but as soon as I try to go faster the pain kicks in and hurts every time I land on my feet.

Can anyone help explain why this is happening?

Edit: just for some info, I am not unfit or overweight I'm 180cm 71kg but haven't ran in a while as I mainly focus on strength training as too much cardio makes it hard for me to gain weight.

Motardpdx is offline Associate Member
    Hi, I'm a runner and this could be anything from Achilles tendon problem to a slight tear in your calf muscle? I've put a lot of miles on shoes that sometimes don't have the correct drop for my stride. Running shoes can range from 4 -12 mm on average and as the drop is lowered, your running stride needs to shift to a midfoot landing to counter the lack of cushion and transfer from heel to toe. This might be your problem? It could be as simple as learning to adapt to the differences in impact, neuromuscular patterns, and muscular strength that will just take some time to develop. Your body is learning how to adapt to the new stress. IMO

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    If the pain starts when you run I would think it's just your body adapting to the new stress as was already mentioned. Back off for a while and give your body time to adapt. Ease back into it slowly.

Thread Information