• 1 Post By Eduke93
  • 1 Post By Couchlockd
  • 1 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By hammerheart

Thread: Shoulder weakness

Eduke93 is offline Senior Member

Shoulder weakness

Sup.

My left should has suddenly become very weak, today I was doing flat db press and my left shoulder just gave way after a few reps. Lowered the weight by about 40% and I could do reps but it still felt weak. There is a kind of tightness but no pain what so ever, just weakness.

Not sure if anyone has experienced this?

I will avoid pressing movements and stick with flys, lateral raises etc... for the time being, praying it’s just a strain of some sort.

I don’t often shoot my delts, but I did about 2-3 weeks ago and seemed to have gotten weaker and weaker since then. Not sure if it could be to do with that?

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    Doubt its the injection. What is your form like? I will try to post a video someone showed me if I can find it. I was having similar issues. My shoulders were coming apart until I employed the right form.

Obs

Found it! That took some digging!

Anyway, I benched wrong and dangerous until I watched this. My weight were going down on tren and my shoulders hurt every night.

This added like 50 lbs to my worksets in probably a month. Since I just keep going up and my shoulders arent hurting when I lay down.

Its entertaining as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Obs View Post
    Doubt its the injection. What is your form like? I will try to post a video someone showed me if I can find it. I was having similar issues. My shoulders were coming apart until I employed the right form.
    Thanks Obs!

“Quick, gimme a bag of steroids ” lol

When i bench I don’t feel the weakness even though it’s probably still there, but last night it was with dumbbell press where it suddenly “died” and all strength basically disappeared.

It’s hurting a tad this morning, I will implement RC cuff exercises with bands every day and use some voltaren and avoid pushing movements for my next chest sesh and see if that helps, think it’s just maybe a strain or something.

Damn shoulders.
    Last edited by Eduke93; 04-28-2018 at 08:33 AM.
    Obs likes this.

Obs
    Quote Originally Posted by Eduke93 View Post
    Thanks Obs!

When i bench I don’t feel the weakness even though it’s probably still there, but last night it was with dumbbell press where it suddenly “died” and all strength basically disappeared.

It’s hurting a tad this morning, I will implement RC cuff exercises with bands every day and use some voltaren and avoid pushing movements for my next chest sesh and see if that helps, think it’s just maybe a strain or something.

Damn shoulders.
    I used to stay flat. I kept my elbows straight out square with the barbell. For my body type I was a ticking timebomb. My shoulders were fucked until my friend showed me that video. Just bringing your elbows in makes all the difference.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Thanks Obs!

Damn shoulders.
    Definitely take it easy on the shoulder and incorporate some light higher rep band work. You definitely don't need to setup a lot of inflammation which can leave to nerve issues such as entrapment. I'm still recovering from nerve entrapment that started about a year ago.
    It sounds like you're taking the correct approach. I didn't.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

I used to stay flat. I kept my elbows straight out square with the barbell. For my body type I was a ticking timebomb. My shoulders were fucked until my friend showed me that video. Just bringing your elbows in makes all the difference.
    To be honest, I do the same now. I flare out, sometimes when I’m really thinking about it I will bend the bar and pull my elbows in but when I’m zoned I just smash my bench out. Glad that’s helped you though mate, Ill take more care moving and keep my position tight, elbows in... Cheers mate

P.s shoulder feels good today, still will take it easy this week!
    Obs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    Definitely take it easy on the shoulder and incorporate some light higher rep band work. You definitely don't need to setup a lot of inflammation which can leave to nerve issues such as entrapment. I'm still recovering from nerve entrapment that started about a year ago.
    It sounds like you're taking the correct approach. I didn't.
    Will do mate, feels better today.. will still take it easy next week. Lots of isolation work but no compound for chest/shoulders for the time being.

Damn that sucks, easy to just leave it and carry on though, especially when it is painless and just weak... glad your on the mend though, hopefully your back in play soon!! Cheers AG
    almostgone likes this.

cousinmuscles is offline Knowledgeable Member
    To add to the cuff movements, technique improvement and band work, I found stretching prior to lifting helped. I'm lifting heavier than last year and went from stinging feeling/tightness to none.

I do externals like this https://exrx.net/Stretches/Subscapularis/Broomstick
    internals https://exrx.net/Stretches/Infraspinatus/Broomstick

I do some more tricky ones that I can't guarantee are for everyone but I did get them from a physio, sit down and have arms forward, to stretch right shoulder - place right elbow (underside) on top of left elbow, reach with right arm towards back to pull your right arm to the left, then rotate forearm clockwise and hold both hands together, then use left arm to help pull forearm clockwise. if you can do this you have good flexibility! (though being too flexible can be an issue too)

for internals, e.g. right arm, sit down lean forward, right hand on right hip, rotate right arm counterclockwise and place right elbow inside right knee

Quote Originally Posted by cousinmuscles View Post
    To add to the cuff movements, technique improvement and band work, I found stretching prior to lifting helped. I'm lifting heavier than last year and went from stinging feeling/tightness to none.

I do externals like this https://exrx.net/Stretches/Subscapularis/Broomstick
    internals https://exrx.net/Stretches/Infraspinatus/Broomstick

I do some more tricky ones that I can't guarantee are for everyone but I did get them from a physio, sit down and have arms forward, to stretch right shoulder - place right elbow (underside) on top of left elbow, reach with right arm towards back to pull your right arm to the left, then rotate forearm clockwise and hold both hands together, then use left arm to help pull forearm clockwise. if you can do this you have good flexibility! (though being too flexible can be an issue too)

for internals, e.g. right arm, sit down lean forward, right hand on right hip, rotate right arm counterclockwise and place right elbow inside right knee

Thanks for the links cousin, I’ll give theese a go also! Flexibility wise I am acctually ok, I have always stretched pre workout but I’ll be honest, I don’t often do any RC work pre push sessions which I know I have to start doing!

Couchlockd is offline Senior Member
    https://youtu.be/7Ta--JGdbSo
    https://youtu.be/lJubNVtQfz4
    https://youtu.be/GNqT2kUFweM
    https://youtu.be/sBfp0A-V5Fw
    and then this on width. watch this first
    https://youtu.be/IVUZkBbBsRw

This is Jen Thompson aka "132 pounds of power"

132lb 4th grade teacher world champion powerlifter. 132lb woman with a 325lb 1RM.

do not discredit her because she is a woman, she has the most perfect form and detail in her instruction than anyone I've ever seen.

I'm a bench fanatic, and is pay for her advice if I had to

between the mark bell video obs posted and these. I promise you'll add 40 pounds to working sets in a week
    Obs likes this.

Thanks mate, will revise the videos!

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Will do mate, feels better today.. will still take it easy next week. Lots of isolation work but no compound for chest/shoulders for the time being.

Damn that sucks, easy to just leave it and carry on though, especially when it is painless and just weak... glad your on the mend though, hopefully your back in play soon!! Cheers AG
    If.you notice the weakness progressing from your shoulder down into your biceps and forearm, go ahead and get into NHS pronto. The sooner you can address potential nerve issues the shorter the recovery.
    Eduke93 likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Hi guys

I've actually noticed some clicking in my left shoulder, does anyone know what this could be related too?

I have a feeling what could have happened, i train with my misses and about 8 days ago she stretched my rotator cuffs, i put my hands behind my back with the top of my hands against my back and she pulled my elbows forward. it was painful but i told her to keep going just because i thought i had tight shoulders, i think she may have over stretched them/pulled something?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Eduke93; 05-02-2018 at 10:29 AM.

Obs
    Hi guys

I've actually noticed some clicking in my left shoulder, does anyone know what this could be related too?

I have a feeling what could have happened, i train with my misses and about 8 days ago she stretched my rotator cuffs, i put my hands behind my back with the top of my hands against my back and she pulled my elbows forward. it was painful but i told her to keep going just because i thought i had tight shoulders, i think she may have over stretched them/pulled something?

Thanks!
    I would wager the front delt is overpowering. Focus on rear delt. Try not to put all your bench on your delts.

I would wager the front delt is overpowering. Focus on rear delt. Try not to put all your bench on your delts.
    Thanks mate, just trained push, fine on all flying movements tried chest press machine to finish up on and it seemed to give out on the last few reps like front/side delt is super weak as oppose to over powering. lateral raises where fine just compound pushing movements it does out :/

Really starting to get in my tits

Quester is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I had torn labrums and avoided surgery. The PT showed me that I had scapular winging. Now I do a lot of work on my lower traps and romboids.

hammerheart is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quester View Post
    I had torn labrums and avoided surgery. The PT showed me that I had scapular winging. Now I do a lot of work on my lower traps and romboids.
    What about the serratus anterior?
    Obs likes this.

Obs
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzarro View Post
    What about the serratus anterior?
    Injury of the neves can cause paralysis. I used to have this problem but never had it again after my first cycle. At least nothing close to what it was.

Thread Information