Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By wango

Thread: Shoulder Delt injury (left SHLder), kinda close to outer pec: what spot is this pls?

NiceGuyResearcher is offline Associate Member

Shoulder Delt injury (left SHLder), kinda close to outer pec: what spot is this pls?

Hello

I can use some advice please

I was lifting a big 85 pound box and moving it left so that it could fit into some narrow area and right 12 days ago,

I didn't hear a pop, but the next day the left shoulder, where the deltoid meets the upper outer pec almost, felt very Sore.

I can lift the same amount of weight as the right side, in other words there's no muscle weakness

There's no cracking when I move might left shoulder up and down *and the range of motion is good*

After having hurt this area, the next day, about 10 days ago, I still did about 8 to 10 repetitions of incline bench presses and chest cable crossovers and a flat bench press

Today is day 12 and all the info. out there seems to show that shoulder injury like this is really a shoulder discomfort, and should improve in 2 weeks (14 days) and totally heal in 1 month to 1 month and 2 weeks.

(as an aside, im almost 53 so it may take longer for me to heal? than the above )?

I applied a massage gun in the area yesterday and today for 2 minutes ea. session, the suggested time per each muscle group, with the suggested round ball extension

I try to do the inner & outer (no weights) arm moves, normally done for rotator cuff exercises at least 1x per day and a warm almost hot compress.

It's not immediately after an injury, so the 3 day window of using ice right after the injury has passed.

Question: What area is this?

Is avoiding working out with weights for 8-10 repetitions like I did the day after strongly suggested and should I just do light rep 15 reps like 10 pound dumbell lateral and front delt raises? and maybe outer arm turns and inner arm turns to get the blood flowing to the tendons so that the healing process is quicker?

I woke up today with almost no pain and thought i was cured, but as the day wore on, I did 85 pushups all at once and felt soreness again

So, what do you suggest I do, refrain from any kind of bodybuilding workouts and do light-weight high rep exercises for the next month
    (but, I must do my pushups at about 80 to 100 reps every other day, I don't think I can quit that. I simply can't refrain from that, though)

Here are some 2 photos of the area in question X marks the spot

Thanks in advance for any constructive help

-NGR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shoulder Delt injury (left SHLder), kinda close to outer pec: what spot is this pls?-pectoralis-major-tendon-strain-pic-main.jpg   Shoulder Delt injury (left SHLder), kinda close to outer pec: what spot is this pls?-pectoralis-major-tendon-strain-pic-2.jpg  

just to add...looks like the pec major tendon...?

it's right at the border where the delt meets the upper outer pec

also i've been natty meaning, i didn't have a surge in power or an imaginary belief I was able to do a lot more ? (so to speak)... thereby I was disciplined in a moderate rep range of *bodybuilding exercises* as distinct from *very low rep, Physical therapy exercises*

thanks again...

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Give it a rest from heavy exertion and as it feels better incorporate some light band work UNLESS you feel it is serious enough to warrant a Dr. checking it out. If you feel it warrants a visit, I wouldn't hesitate. It doesn't sound serious, but that is by no means a legit evaluation.

Maybe try door dusters and rolling a ball against the wall. If making circles is too easy, try moving the ball in the shapes of letters. Try seeing if you can complete the whole alphabet. If you can't, do as much as you can and try for more the next time.
    NiceGuyResearcher likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Wango or some of the other guys will likely have some input as well.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    Give it a rest from heavy exertion and as it feels better incorporate some light band work UNLESS you feel it is serious enough to warrant a Dr. checking it out. If you feel it warrants a visit, I wouldn't hesitate. It doesn't sound serious, but that is by no means a legit evaluation.

Maybe try door dusters and rolling a ball against the wall. If making circles is too easy, try moving the ball in the shapes of letters. Try seeing if you can complete the whole alphabet. If you can't, do as much as you can and try for more the next time.
    Thanks, so much AlmostGone

Oh, you may find this interesting: I had a shoulder concern almost a year ago

But That was the RIGHT shoulder, where I magically suddenly had a Huge loss of reps in my dominant arm, the right arm (im a righty)

1 bodybuilder told me the best way to heal the shoulders is rest, for months

The range of motion on that was good, but it was a big shock to see something like that, a huge loss of reps in my dominant right arm...im talking about struggling to do 4 to 5 reps of standing dumbell biceps curls when the left arm could do 9-10--I feared it was almost like a neurological disease

Anyway, the right arm can do as much weight as my weak non -dominant arm since February of 2023

This was becasue I had 2 physical therapy appointments where the PT did not do an MRI, or an X-ray either, but just made me do several tests

and gave me a bunch of physical therapy homework to do

I never got any ultra sound and only made 2 physical therapy appointments

I just rested that area for at least 2 months and it healed on its own

I wish there was a deep tissue ultra sound massage device at a reasonable price like there are lots of affordbable massage guns and tens units

the ultra sound deep tissue gel massage thing really speeds up healing for the tendons which heal very slowly

Looks like the area I referred to is the Medial Deltoid as shown in the below attached vid at 5:01 to 5:03 from a PT

I laid in a very warm almost hot tub of water in my bathtub, with epsom salt in it, the shoulder submerged for 15 minutes

Afterward, I felt a lot better

There is still soreness

I've again gone past the 3 day mark after an injury where it's a 3 day window where ICE is used

What I guess the light exercises do, is pump more heat and blood into the tendon & muscle area, so that it heals sooner /quicker

That's the same idea with aqua moist/ heat therapy

I've also attached a compression shoulder sling which has a bit of copper in it, so that I keep the shoulder firm whenever I need to lift anything heavy.
    It goes firmly around the shoulder and the best ones are the ones that offers a measurement as in 15 inches or 17 inches over the bicep, not the one size fits all
    Best to pay more for quality with the shoulder sling to avoid further injuries

I liken it to that old school photo of Arnie S. with the biceps thing that went around his shoulders kept his biceps firmly in place....I think Boyer Coyle also had a photo of him with one on

Not only did that weight belt double shoulder strap give him a better more controlled biceps workout, it probably avoided shoulder tears and bicep tears, am I right?

I did the handball exercises using my left arm, and I don't play handmall, so I didn't have a ball at home, but imagined I was grasping a handball and did the letters of the alphabet; I must say those motions, with the left arm, (not my dominant arm)....felt like reverse letters, like as if taking a photo with an Ipad or tablet and the words coming out reverse like "ambulance" on a paramedic truck, so that rear views in other cars can see "ambulance" the right way (a mirror reflection reverse type of thing)

I do want to avoid going to a physical therapist, if the range of motion is good, but there's only soreness, and if I have a book on many many physical therapy shoulder rehab exercises, then like that Carly Simon song from the 70s, I haven't got time for the pain.... I could do this rehab plan at home. Thank Goodness there's no muscle weakness with regard to rep ranges in the affected left arm.

So, please let me know your positive thoughts on this, please ...always welcomed and if I helped someone here, it was worth it--karmic

Here's the vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AImrJVYn6Q
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shoulder Delt injury (left SHLder), kinda close to outer pec: what spot is this pls?-shoulder-heat-pad-how-put-july-2023-pic-1.jpg  

*typo Boyer Coe

and this is the Arm Blaster

So, the compression sling I bought, that actually would do a good job of stabilizing the shoulder so I could probably theoretically after another 1.5 weeks of total rest, save for light PT shoulder / rotator cuff exercises to get Blood Flow into the shoulder tendons ligaments etc

it would allow me to resume bodybuilding exercises and avoid injuries

The whole basis for why the shoulder takes SO MUCH TIME TO HEAL IS THAT THE TENDONS, LIGAMENTS, JOINTS, are not exposed to the air or heat, which air and heat if they were exposed to, would heal them a lot quicker almost like a cut on one's finger from a tuna can would normally heal very quickly because it's exposed to the air and warmth

Thanks (I really can't refrain from proper form pushups at 80 to 100 reps every day all at once) I've been doing this since Grandmaster Jhoon Rhee friend to Bruce Lee had been doing this in his 70s....while on an airplane etc. (great habit to have! )

Oh, the whole point of those PT little exercises for shoulder rehab....is that those little rotator cuff outies innies and plastic band exercises serve to pump blood and warmth into those tendons that don't get enough of that since they aren't exposed. If they did get enough air, warmth, heat, (if they were outside) they'd heal faster.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shoulder Delt injury (left SHLder), kinda close to outer pec: what spot is this pls?-arm-blaster.jpg  

wango is offline Anabolic Member
    PM sent.

Thread Information