Odpierdol_sie! is offline Senior Member

Popliteus Muscle Injury

Was at work last week, i was stepping in to the rear of the cab and while i stepped up and turned to sit in the seat something popped in the rear of my left knee and floored me. It felt like a cramp but much more painful (i didnt cry because im hard as fvck though).
    I suspect it is the popliteus muscle, any one ever had a similar issue?.

Im thinking of seeing the Physio in work for further advise but this wont be until next week so in the mean time if anyone has any advise or tips or just story's about theirs popping, fire ahead.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Odpierdol_sie! View Post
    Was at work last week, i was stepping in to the rear of the cab and while i stepped up and turned to sit in the seat something popped in the rear of my left knee and floored me. It felt like a cramp but much more painful (i didnt cry because im hard as fvck though).
    I suspect it is the popliteus muscle, any one ever had a similar issue?.

Im thinking of seeing the Physio in work for further advise but this wont be until next week so in the mean time if anyone has any advise or tips or just story's about theirs popping, fire ahead.
    You need to have someone check it. the popliteus muscle although its function is to unlock the knee if your knee was bent then it most likely couldnt have been the popliteus. If you hear a pop you may have suffered a PCL injury if it was a pop from the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    You need to have someone check it. the popliteus muscle although its function is to unlock the knee if your knee was bent then it most likely couldnt have been the popliteus. If you hear a pop you may have suffered a PCL injury if it was a pop from the rear.
    No, it didnt pop. It was more like a muscle cramping. But came pretty much as it came and was proper painful, not like cramp. I havent sought any face to face advise yet and only found out what i know from searching google.

My knee was bent, probably close to 90 degrees or so.

I still feel a slight niggle there when i twist my knee. I assumed it was the popliteus. I don't think it was the PCL because it was the outside portion of the rear of my knee that was in pain?

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    That sounds more like you may have hurt a hamstring tendon. Possible around the head of the fibula. Is there pain or tendorness around the bony portion on the outside of your knee where the lower leg portion begins?

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    That sounds more like you may have hurt a hamstring tendon. Possible around the head of the fibula. Is there pain or tendorness around the bony portion on the outside of your knee where the lower leg portion begins?
    I think you could be right.

I had a feel around earlier and although it is not painful at all (hard as nails lol), Its is a tiny bit tender compared to how my other knee feels when i have a feel around.

kwozza is offline Junior Member
    If it is a popliteus injury, there will be increased pain when you straighten your leg and when you walk downhill. Injury to this muscle is rare and usually accompanied by a PCL injury. MuscleScience is right, it is more likely to be a hamstring injury.

Do a search in google for the biceps femoris muscle and apply some self massage, or better yet, get someone else to do it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by kwozza View Post
    If it is a popliteus injury, there will be increased pain when you straighten your leg and when you walk downhill. Injury to this muscle is rare and usually accompanied by a PCL injury. MuscleScience is right, it is more likely to be a hamstring injury.

Do a search in google for the biceps femoris muscle and apply some self massage, or better yet, get someone else to do it for you.
    Cheers guys, I really appreciate it!

Im gonna get in touch with the Occupational health on Tuesday when im back on shift, hopefully ill get some therapy through work pretty quickly.

Just as an after thought, im thinking it is probably what you say it is. Reason being, i had a long lay off this year due to an illness and havent worked my legs or anything since March. Ive had a hard time getting back in the training state of mind and only been back in work 6 weeks.

Im thinking it is probably due to lack of use or something like that. Either way i did it in work so im covered

Thread Information