lostboy74 is offline Junior Member

shoulder separation...help a brotha out

i am fresh off of a cycle, finished pct and 4weeks ago i suffered a level 3 shoulder separation...i am not looking for any simpathy guys just some creative solutions to staying active while i await surgery and the recovery process....bare in mind that I am not so much an idiot but my mind is fixated on the devestation that this surgery is going to do to all my gains and hard work, just throw out some serious "helpfull" ideas that might help keep my mind in the right place to rebuild and heal this injury and ideas to keep my body from becoming jello!!!

sixey is offline Associate Member
    honestly bro the worst thing you can do is try to rush things, start lifting again, and end up even more hurt and in a world of sh*t. i just had surgery and couldnt lift for nearly two weeks, no running either...smoothed out nicely haha. listen to your docs reccomendations, if its only your shoulder and your able to train legs, then def do legs, core,whatever you can without compromising your shoulder. if you cant lift, flex your muscles as much as you can, might not help but it might help the mental aspect?

in this scenario patience and playing it safe will def pay off man. best of luck on your injury and recovery

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    better stock up on some var!?

UT IRON is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sixey;52***58
    honestly bro the worst thing you can do is try to rush things, start lifting again, and end up even more hurt and in a world of sh*t. i just had surgery and couldnt lift for nearly two weeks, no running either...smoothed out nicely haha. listen to your docs reccomendations, if its only your shoulder and your able to train legs, then def do legs, core,whatever you can without compromising your shoulder. if you cant lift, flex your muscles as much as you can, might not help but it might help the mental aspect?

in this scenario patience and playing it safe will def pay off man. best of luck on your injury and recovery
    That is the best advice i would follow.

thanks guys for the advice....im going stir crazy not being in the gym. seems like everything else in life that was intense or unbearable is even worse without having an outlet like working out. i am learning to appritiate all the hard work and time i have put in over the years and am now considering the gym to be more of a home or safe haven than anything else.

doublefister is offline Associate Member
    I had a shoulder seperation too and the doctor told me to stop doing anything that will aggravate my shoulder. I had to stop all pressing movements such as bench and shoulder press. I ended up doing partial reps with dumbells like 20lbs. The way I did them was 1 partial rep from bottom to halfway up and then 1 full rep which was 1 rep, 2nd recp was 2 partial reps from the bottom and halfway up and 1 full rep. I did this for 10 reps and for 2 sets. I wanted to mainly focus on the bottom reps because I didnt want my triceps to be worn out and focus more on my chest. Eventually, you get stronger and now I actually still throw these in from time to time to change things up or I might use it as a finisher.

I would do them incline too. It took me at least 6 months till my shoulder got better and I believe I still pushed myself too hard that 4 years later till now my shoulder is not 100 percent. I dont have pain anymore but when I do go real heavy I can feel still my ac joint move and I believe that I probably tore the capsule that holds the joint together.

Now I just work around but I really dont have any issues I just stopped trying to go real heavy so I dont do anything lower than 6 reps.

heyyallsup is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sixey;52***58

Learning right now that this is excellent advice. Injured my shoulder and tried to even do light weight workouts and it only made it worse. Now I'm gonna be out even longer to repair the damage to the damage that was originally done.

i also tore the capsul that holds the joint together (I have sutures holding the capsul together now) the funny thing is that my range of motion is pretty good two weeks post surgery but if i add any resistence in any direction it hurts so bad and i mean any resistence holding a fork for instance and moving my shoulder joint is like murder....this is real depressing watching a year and a half worth of solid gains go away day by day.....but as i have read on here, time is the only thing that can fix this.

thanks for the advice...patience hasnt ever been my strong suit. however dec.2 i had surgery number 2 because the first dr. didnt read the mri right and didnt reattach my front and rear deltoid that were shredded. the new dr. is telling me 8 months till fully recovered and able to lift. I have done a few isolation exercises for my arms with some success and of course been working on my wheels and abs...thanks for your advice.....

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    You need to follow the advice here and rest that shoulder. Trying to rush things will only make your recovery worse.

FLdave is offline New Member
    2 surgerys, sounds like a f***in nightmare, after my AC surgery (also level3) My doc said 1year and I would be back to normal. I waited almost excatly a year before any actual lifting..and it sucked bad. I felt all sorts of weird sensations at first thinking the whole time i was gonna jack it up again but eventually it worked out. I am glad to hear you are working your legs, I told myself the same thing but just threw in the towel comletely, what a mistake, wouldn't recommend it, not only did I get flabby, I lost soo much leg strength too, and got depressed from not being in the gym, it messed with my head and made returning even harder. Good luck, maybe you can come out of this with massive quads/calfs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigershark View Post
    You need to follow the advice here and rest that shoulder. Trying to rush things will only make your recovery worse.
    much agreed Tigershark,i just had surgery on my shoulder 6 weeks ago,i had bone spurs and a slightly torn Labrum ligament tear,glad i had surgery,cause my surgeon said that my rotator cuff was inflammed alot from the bone spurs and wouldve eventually torn it if i hadnt had surgery.Im on my 5 week of PT.Just dont rush things it will be worse if you do,i was very inpatient myself,but a 2 month recovery is better than a year long recovery,good luck my friend

EASTCOASTKID is offline Associate Member
    just had the rotator cuff done two days ago. Great drugs....:-)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	013.JPG 
Views:	4342 
Size:	406.2 KB 
ID:	114297Click image for larger version. 

Name:	014.JPG 
Views:	5093 
Size:	483.9 KB 
ID:	114298

Quote Originally Posted by EASTCOASTKID View Post
    just had the rotator cuff done two days ago. Great drugs....:-)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	013.JPG 
Views:	4342 
Size:	406.2 KB 
ID:	114297Click image for larger version. 

Name:	014.JPG 
Views:	5093 
Size:	483.9 KB 
ID:	114298
    how did you tear it?

EASTCOASTKID is offline Associate Member
    years of sports and old age....:-)
    had bone spurs and every time I lifted my arm above my head the tendon would glide across the jagged bone...
    I had my other done about 5 years ago and its perfect now. I didnt lift heavy for about 3 months

Quote Originally Posted by EASTCOASTKID View Post
    years of sports and old age....:-)
    had bone spurs and every time I lifted my arm above my head the tendon would glide across the jagged bone...
    I had my other done about 5 years ago and its perfect now. I didnt lift heavy for about 3 months
    how long was your recovery,like after your surgery how long was it before you could start lifting normal again?

Thread Information