Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Mr.BB
  • 1 Post By almostgone
  • 1 Post By GirlyGymRat
  • 1 Post By hellomycognomen

Thread: Golfers elbow - medial epicondylitis

Mr.BB is offline Anabolic Member

Golfers elbow - medial epicondylitis

My left elbow is getting worse. It has been bothering me for a few weeks.

The pain is in the inside of the elbow. With palm facing up I can flex triceps with no pain, but rotating the palm it gives me excruciating pain when palm reachs around 120º, so I have pain flexing triceps with palm facing down.

Heres a pic of where the pain is located:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GolfersElbowlabel(1).jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	158398

So it seems to be medial epicondylitis or golfers elbow (I dont play golf).

Have been trying the ice and hot treatment, any other ideas to make it better?

PrettyPlease? is offline Banned
    If it is a minor case than rest (cannot stress that enough), ice, and possibly NSAIDs. Once things are getting better there are some stretches and isometric exercises you can perform as well.

More involved cases are treated with cortisone injections and sometimes surgical intervention.

Elbow 95% fixed adding 50mgs NPP 3x per week.

PrettyPlease? likes this.

almostgone is online now AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Google and YouTube "Voodoo Floss". It helps my elbows greatly when they give me grief.
    Mr.BB likes this.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

They have a standard black and a heavier gage/thicker red band. The standard band has worked for me; even the wife uses it if she strains her elbows wrestling with the dogs.
    It does cause some slight bruising when I use it, but nothing that really stands out.
    If you give it a go, I hope you get as well as it has done for me.
    Pretty sure it has saved me from having to go in for a cortisone shot on several occasions.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

hooligans luck is offline Junior Member
    Gau sha'ing and icing a few times a day has helped me extremely well. Scar tissue has built up from constantly micro tearing the elbow fibers. You need to break it up and move blood into the area so it can heal.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BB
    Elbow 95% fixed adding 50mgs NPP 3x per week.
    I had the tennis elbow and used castor oil packs nightly for 3 weeks. Later adding DMSO aloe gel. Worked wonders. The DMSO has sulfa and I had a tiny rash cuz using too much initially.

GirlyGymRat is offline Knowledgeable Elite ~ Respected Female Leader ~
    https://www.methodistsports.com/spec...es/tendinitis/

Interesting options including oil packs.
    Mr.BB likes this.

bartman314 is offline Productive Member
    in addition to above, try a tennis/golf elbow band, for example see below. it works wonders for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Bracoo-Tennis-...nis+elbow+band

Blog Entries
    Ive had the same problem in the past. If I sleep with my elbows bent my arms eventually go numb. Try to be more mindful to not keep your arms bent for prolonged periods of time. Computer work, rest arms bent on couch while watching tv, driving, sleeping positions, etc all can aggravate the elbow tendon. After I started paying more attention to not keep my elbow bent for long periods of time I have noticed major improvements. Hope this advice helps you out. -Cheers.

BTW I dont golf either or play tennis, which Ive also heard it called.
    Last edited by hellomycognomen; 10-18-2015 at 01:07 PM.
    NACH3 likes this.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hellomycognomen View Post
    Ive had the same problem in the past. If I sleep with my elbows bent my arms eventually go numb. Try to be more mindful to not keep your arms bent for prolonged periods of time. Computer work, rest arms bent on couch while watching tv, driving, sleeping positions, etc all can aggravate the elbow tendon. After I started paying more attention to not keep my elbow bent for long periods of time I have noticed major improvements. Hope this advice helps you out. -Cheers.

BTW I dont golf either or play tennis, which Ive also heard it called.
    This^^ happens to me all the time if arms are bent as well! Like hello stated its any of those positions for me, too.

I was eating w/my one arm in the table yesterday and BAM - it was numb in no time :/

Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    Google and YouTube "Voodoo Floss". It helps my elbows greatly when they give me grief.
    How do you use the bands AG?

Proximal is offline Banned
    Have had this on and off for many year. Usually turn to NSAIDS initially, try to work around the pain. You're at 95%, so that's good. I'm assuming you are doing specific strengthening now for your wrist and finger flexors and also stretching. I see fewer and fewer people doing wrist curls at the gym - assuming their forearms are getting worked out completely/adequately by gripping heavy weights - mistake.

Then there is ultimately cortisone injections - should not be a concern to do another needle/steroid if warranted.

Proximal is offline Banned
    BTW, regarding the posts with numbness up above - everyone is likely referring to numbness caused by pressure on the ulnar nerve. Your body does a good job of burying major nerves deeper under fat and muscle, however the ulnar nerve passes very superficially (that means closer to the skin) just beneath your medial epicondyle. The medial epicondyle is what is really your "funny bone". You hit that or around it and you irritate the ulnar nerve, thus causing the tingling.

Quote Originally Posted by Proximal View Post
    Have had this on and off for many year. Usually turn to NSAIDS initially, try to work around the pain. You're at 95%, so that's good. I'm assuming you are doing specific strengthening now for your wrist and finger flexors and also stretching. I see fewer and fewer people doing wrist curls at the gym - assuming their forearms are getting worked out completely/adequately by gripping heavy weights - mistake.

Then there is ultimately cortisone injections - should not be a concern to do another needle/steroid if warranted.
    Yes, since then started always doing forearms. It is much better, just had a flair up from doing heavy db pullover, but managed it and its all good now.
    Also did some treatment with the voodoo bands and ice/heat. I avoid NSAIDS.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BB View Post
    How do you use the bands AG?
    Here's a couple of videos that demonstrate using it
    https://youtu.be/-RYMV0salw8

https://youtu.be/GZG_9O_mAgM

Edit: Sorry for the delayed response, Mr.BB.

Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    Here's a couple of videos that demonstrate using it
    https://youtu.be/-RYMV0salw8

https://youtu.be/GZG_9O_mAgM

Yeah, thats how I use it, just the traction part I didnt know about

Seeing some good results from it.

Thanks

Thread Information