lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member

Finally getting a Phlebotomy

For the past several years my hemoglobin & Hematocrit have been slowly getting higher and sometimes peaking past where they should be. Well the last year its been mostly above where it should be and I have been asking my doctor the last few years for an RX to get a Phlebotomy but she has always denied it.My doctor is great in most things but this one she just doesn't want to do for some reason.Thankfully she decided to send me to a Oncologist.. Guess what he wants me to do. Besides drinking more water and exercising more he wants me to do a Phlebotomy. lolI cant donate blood because I had Hep B in 1991 so this is my only option. Thank god someone finally understands. Yeah I had to sit and listen to him explain how it all works and how TRT can cause the red blood cells to increase but Im not stopping TRT. lol

almostgone is offline AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by lovbyts View Post
    For the past several years my hemoglobin & Hematocrit have been slowly getting higher and sometimes peaking past where they should be. Well the last year its been mostly above where it should be and I have been asking my doctor the last few years for an RX to get a Phlebotomy but she has always denied it.My doctor is great in most things but this one she just doesn't want to do for some reason.Thankfully she decided to send me to a Oncologist.. Guess what he wants me to do. Besides drinking more water and exercising more he wants me to do a Phlebotomy. lolI cant donate blood because I had Hep B in 1991 so this is my only option. Thank god someone finally understands. Yeah I had to sit and listen to him explain how it all works and how TRT can cause the red blood cells to increase but Im not stopping TRT. lol
    Welcome to the club. Make sure (an oncologist definitely should) to stay on top of your iron panel, TIBC, ferritin, serum iron, and transferrin.

I think older guys are affected more by the phlebotomies, and can get depleted quicker.

There's several of us older guys that are playing that game now. Like you said whatever it takes to keep my current T dosage!
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Any tips for a quicker recovery so us older guys who might be affected more by the phlebotomies, and can get depleted quicker?

Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    Welcome to the club. Make sure (an oncologist definitely should) to stay on top of your iron panel, TIBC, ferritin, serum iron, and transferrin.I think older guys are affected more by the phlebotomies, and can get depleted quicker.There's several of us older guys that are playing that game now. Like you said whatever it takes to keep my current T dosage!
    Any tips for a quicker recovery so us older guys who might be affected more by the phlebotomies, and can get depleted quicker?

Monitor your iron and ferritin periodically/ a week or two post phlebotomy and pull a complete iron panel...make sure ferritin is checked as well. If you see it drifting towards the bottom of the range grab some elemental iron. I like Vitron-C
    (available on Amazon) . Eat iron rich foods as well.

After taking elemental iron 2-3 times per week for a month, my ferritin and iron saturation went from being in the basement to almost the low end of the normal range.

It usually takes a few phlebotomies and then the cumulative effect kicks in. When/ if it happens, you'll likely be very fatigued as well.

Iron can lock your guts down, so I wouldn't preemptively jump on it without lab work.
    Last edited by almostgone; 07-02-2024 at 03:20 AM.
    There are 3 loves in my life: my wife, my English mastiffs, and my weightlifting....Man, my wife gets really pissed when I get the 3 confused...
    A minimum of 100 posts and 45 days membership required for source checks. Source checks are performed at my discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by almostgone View Post
    Monitor your iron and ferritin periodically/ a week or two post phlebotomy and pull a complete iron panel...make sure ferritin is checked as well. If you see it drifting towards the bottom of the range grab some elemental iron. I like Vitron-C (available on Amazon) . Eat iron rich foods as well.After taking elemental iron 2-3 times per week for a month, my ferritin and iron saturation went from being in the basement to almost the low end of the normal range.It usually takes a few phlebotomies and then the cumulative effect kicks in. When/ if it happens, you'll likely be very fatigued as well. Iron can lock your guts down, so I wouldn't preemptively jump on it without lab work.
    Thank you for the great advice. I will follow up with my results.

Little update, had my Phlebotomy done last week. Only took 3 ml but I guess thats normal. My Ferritin levels were good, right in the middle at 141 ng/ml and also in April it was about the same, 148 ng/ml.

Little update, had my Phlebotomy done last week. Only took 3 ml but I guess thats normal. My Ferritin levels were good, right in the middle at 141 ng/ml and also in April it was about the same, 148 ng/ml.
    Just 3ml? A whole blood donation is about 500ml/1 pint. Maybe they were doing preliminary labs or something?
    Last edited by almostgone; 07-17-2024 at 04:26 AM.

Cuz
    Cuz is offline VET
    My ferratin levels were 4. Thats pretty awesome.

My bad. LoL. 300

Another update, going in soon for my 2nd Phlebotomy. And had my testosterone done. Total doesn't matter all that much but was a little high, 240 - 940 range, 1010 My Bioavailable range was 40 - 168?? It was 732. A bit high?
    Last edited by lovbyts; 07-19-2024 at 12:26 PM.

Thread Information