The Armhand is offline New Member

how to compete in powerlifting and bodybuilding both?

Hey Guys,

I am novice level power lifter who is currently competing in a drug tested fed (IPF). I have done a few meets so far, either college/ university level or other small provincial qualifier meets. I am looking forward to go into bigger, provincial and national level meets in future.

but here's my question, now I am interested to compete in bodybuilding as well and progress to bigger levels, I haven't done any BBing contests, but would like to do them. I want to enter regular/non tested shows and use whatever is necessary to go compete. How do I combine both of these together?, my current powerlifting fed is a tested one, so if I decide to use gear and start training for a BBing show in a couple of years, I can't lift in this fed ( at least not at the national level), Or do I just power lift for a few years and then switch over into bodybuilding? I love both and don't wanna give up either of them . Another option I am thinking about is to use gear now and start lifting for a non tested fed down the road, so that it wouldn't be "unfair" to be lifting a tested fed( although many of the lifters do, different rant).

All the help is appreciated. thanks guys

yosimitesam is offline Associate Member
    Hi,

You're not alone. Quite a few people will alternate between powerlifting and bodybuilding. If you're planning on staying drug free and competing in drug free organizations, there's no reason you can't do the same with bodybuilding. There's going to be people using gear even in the "drug free" outfits, but hopefully you can join something that has more drug-free body builders competing.

However, if you're going to get involved with a supplement regimen of the body building variety, then why not switch to a non-tested powerlifting organization? I used to lift with a guy that competed in the APF and had been drug free for several years. Of course, each outfit will also have different restrictions on gear (not that kind) in single or multi-ply, raw, etc. So, again, look into some of the different institutions currently going on you might want to participate in and you can go from there.

Scheduling is up to you, really. Just find what you're wanting to compete in far enough out and go for it. Guys like Stan Efferding cross over, as do many others. I'm sure you're going to find many useful tips by various members here who also participate in both.

The bottom line is go ahead and do both. Completely different types of workouts, but excellent for shocking your body. Plus, as I mentioned, you may decided you prefer one over the other and end up sticking with it and abandoning the other.

As far as worrying about whether you're drug free or not; Well, drug testing is so expensive, not everyone is likely to be tested. Some "drug free" outfits simply ask whether you're drug free or not. There are going to be people using gear (that kind) in every organization and it's nearly impossible to police. It really comes down to what you're comfortable with and affiliating yourself with the groups you enjoy being in the most.

Anyway, I hope that helps, and I'm sure you'll end up getting some excellent advice by switch hitters on the forum.

Hey Yosimitesam,

Thanks a lot for your reply, I posted this and had no replies for a while, I was wondering if anybody was even gonna bother answering lol. You cleared some discrepancy. As you suggested I will probably end up changing feds, becuz I will use supps and get into bodybuilding ( non tested/ regular) in a while. Another thing I have to consider is the cost, time and dedication required for BBing which is a lot more than power lifting, so this being said, I will be powerlifting for couple of yrs and then get into bbing. Honestly your reply made me feel better, thanks again.

OnTheSauce is offline Banned
    Uspa is likely the biggest nationwide federation. Non tested. SPF is big on the east coast. Most west side barbell guys do SPF. They are more lenient on the squat depth from what I've seen as well. APC is smaller but has international ties with Feds around the world. So it's good too

yosimitesam is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Armhand View Post
    Hey Yosimitesam,

Thanks a lot for your reply, I posted this and had no replies for a while, I was wondering if anybody was even gonna bother answering lol. You cleared some discrepancy. As you suggested I will probably end up changing feds, becuz I will use supps and get into bodybuilding ( non tested/ regular) in a while. Another thing I have to consider is the cost, time and dedication required for BBing which is a lot more than power lifting, so this being said, I will be powerlifting for couple of yrs and then get into bbing. Honestly your reply made me feel better, thanks again.

No problem my friend. I'm just glad my long rambling could be of some help. I'm sure you'll end up finding federations you'll enjoy belonging too.

Good luck with both your powerlifting and body building.

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    Might want to glean some information and inspiration from Matt Kroczaleski. Top 220 class powerlifter now working to get his pro card. He has some logs posted on the web and well as interview in Power magazine.

Mechanic is offline New Member
    look into powerbuilding, comes from metrofelx gym you can buy a book that comes with a lot of programmes written by Josh bryant for guys like ronnie coleman, also you could look up elitefts and check out Matt Kroc and Josh McMillan who was a multi ply lifter gone BBr.

Hey Thanks guys all of you. I live in Canada btw and i'll search for some non tested feds here in canada and see, I cannot go into US to compete becuz I am not a canadian. I live here, but I am from an another country. kind of tough combo haha, anyways I'll fig something out and ask you guys for help again..and I'll def find matt kroc's interview and look up josh bryant's book.

Thread Information