Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Black

Thread: Am I the only one who doesn't get any personal satisfaction out of using equipment?

jay94 is offline Associate Member

Angry Am I the only one who doesn't get any personal satisfaction out of using equipment?

I don't really know how to explain this. To me, it feels like, when you're using equipment to make big lifts, it's not nearly as satisfying.

I remember last year I was obsessed with squatting 5 plates (I was like 10 lb away from it), and a friend told me 'do just do it with a knee wraps and a suit bro, and you'll do it easily'. But I didn't do that, instead I kept working hard and some time after I did finally squat 5 plats. That was the best feeling in the world. It would have felt much less good if I had simply put on some equipment and done it with that.

Can anyone relate?

Black is offline Anabolic Member
    Not a huge fan of lifting with gear either. I don't take anything away from the guys that use it, still very impressive. But for me, I like it raw. Plus, its hard to look like a badass with suit on.
    BG likes this.

Hrothgar is offline Associate Member
    I'm still a nub lifter, but I admire raw lifters more. I also think what your friend told you to do takes away from the personal satisfaction of your own goals.

blemshow is offline Junior Member
    Snap city

Brett N is offline Senior Member
    Raw for sure. I kinda laugh when I see someone using even wrist straps.

If some big fn' pole fell on my kid, god forbid I have to run to my truck to get my knee wraps, wrist straps and my belt. Kid would for sure not live that long. I may lift a little less than some but I do natural.

gearbox is offline Knowledgeable Member
    You have to draw the line somewhere. I think some things should be used for safety or injury prevention like a belt. But then people start adding wraps, hooks, suits, etc...

If you can pick in up without wraps then you CANT pick it up. Plan and simple.

If you cant go "ass to grass" then you cant do it. I see hundreds of people squatting that never hit 90 degrees or even close.

Brett N is offline Senior Member
    Not sure I am certain what you are saying. Technique is totally different than using an external aid. If you are actually setting a world record where you are going to suffer an injury than a belt is one thing. But, people tend to rely on them way too much and next thing you know there core is weak as hell and they couldn't squat 2 plates without it.

Ass to grass is actually bad form if you do lowbar squat, no way to do it without a rounded lower back but I know what you are saying. I used to see guys at the gym doing major amounts of weight squatting about 4 inches. Usually, they were in a smith machine.

BG
    BG is offline The Real Deal - AR-Platinum Elite- Hall of Famer
    Nothing wrong with wrapping your knees.

Disclaimer-BG is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way encourage nor condone the use of any illegal substances.
    The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Everything was impossible until somebody did it!

I've got 99 problems......but my squat/dead ain't one !!

It doesnt matter how good looking she is, some where, some one is tired of her shit.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Great place to start researching ! http://forums.steroid.com/anabolic-s...-database.html

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    If you are going to a point where your form is breaking down but you are not listening...use equipment to avoid injury. I would NEVER dead or squat heavy without a belt. I would NEVER lift with wraps period. Just my personal preference. The only other equipment that even interests me is the bench jacket.

DFRELAT is offline Associate Member
    I've always admired raw lifters more because equipement brings in unknown variables into the equation, would lifter X had lifted as much or more then lifter Y had he worn the same bench shirt, power suit etc. When its raw there's much less uncertainty this guy lifted this and the other lifted that, pure and simple.

Thread Information