lstbred is offline Senior Member

Roasted Peppers: How-to, uses

A lot of our recipes call for veggies, so why not try something new! Raw peppers (bells, jalapeno's etc) tend to have a bite that is not very pleasant, I personally dont care for raw. By roasting any pepper you bring out tons of flavor and I doubt you'll ever go back! you always hear the phase "sweet peppers" that isnt necessarily true, thier "sweet" compared to the bite of another one ie: red peppers have a higher sugar content and are not as harsh as green so hence they call them "sweet". Trivia bit: A green bell pepper has 3x the amount of vitamen C than an orange!
    How-To:
    First step: Turn your broiler to high, 400-500* Take your peppers and place them on a sheet pan. Place pan on top rack under broiler. The idea is to "blister" the skin, which means it will look burnt, dont worry! check after 5 minutes, if they are black turn over, repeat this step until all side are blistered.

Second step: After taking out peppers out place in a plastic bag, covered bowl/tupperwear and place in refrigerator for 15 or so minutes, cool enough to be handled (you can leave until the next day, doesnt matter) The peppers will "wilt" and be really soft.

Now peel off the charred skin, it should peel away very easily but some are subborn, drives me nuts. DO NOT be tempted and rinse them off under the faucet! you wash away half the flavor! Sometimes it gets dirty but in the end it will be worth it! Now just open the pepper, you can do it easily with your hands, take the seeds out and you have roasted red peppers!

Green, red, yellow all these are done the same way!
    Jalapenos: do the same thing BUT you dont have to peel them if your going to put them in say, a roasted jalapeno salsa! only take out as much seeds as you want to control the heat, take the seeds out, mild, leave the seeds in, hotter!
    Onions: peel, cut in two, add a few drops olive oil
    Uses: A)anything you would put raw peppers in, meatloaf, dice up for nice salad ingredient, top your burger/sandwiches, make a mix of roasted green peppers, red peppers and onion and put in as a topping for your burgers/sandwiches!, soups hot & cold, bolagnese, marinara (spaghetti sauces) dips, spreads for crackers, sandwiches (red pepper cream cheese & mayo spread (both FF of coarse)

You can also do the same thing on your BBQ grill and get MORE flavor from them!!!
    Last edited by lstbred; 06-19-2012 at 05:47 PM.

lstbred is offline Senior Member
    Edit: I ran out of time so I added some uses.

Thread Information