Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member

2011 NFL Draft...

Who's going #1? Some scouts are making an argument that Cam Newton is climbing (went from #10 prospect to #3), even though most have him rated as the 3rd best QB prospect. I still think Fairley should go first. Great defensive tackles are hard to come by. And like Suh, last year, he's a guy you can build a defense around.

So what do you all think. I haven't paid that much attention to the draft since 1995 (the year I came out of college, I didn't get drafted, I was a free agent). But I'm paying more and more attention now that my son is a top high school recruit.

Tigershark is offline "Who wants to be Clark Kent, when you can be Superman."
    Grats on the personal accomplishments and your son's.

The Patriots are supposed to be looking at Nate Solder from Colorado. He is an offensive tackle who started out as a blocking tight end. If his stats are for real he is a beast at
    6' 8" and 315 pounds. He is being compared to Tony Boselli and that is quite a compliment for any player to recieve.

As I saw from your posts about the celtics you're obviously a Northeaster, lol. Yeah Solder's a beast. Great feet and long arms. Prototypical tackle. The only question is whether he can adjust to the speed of the NFL game. He struggled at times with speed rushers in college. His stats ARE legit. He could use more upper body strength, but that will come with a couple years of personal trainers and chefs. HUGE UPSIDE, very little downside. He'll probably be gone before the Pats get him though. They could use a tackle since Brady struggled when pressured. But it seems to me that they need more interior line help than at the tackles. Because the teams that pressured him, got the most pressure up the middle (Jets, Pitt, etc.).

I'm a Redskins fan (even though I played for two other teams), we definitely need QB, O Line, RB, and tons of secondary help! So anyone we get, I'd be happy.

Noles12 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I'm biased but i would love to see Rodney Hudson go early first round

Hey BgMc31,
    What do you think of this draft prospect for the Redskins?

Washington Redskins: Robert Quinn, DE/OLB, North Carolina
    The Redskins need a quarterback, but with Blaine Gabbert off the board, there is no signal-caller worth taking at No. 10. And no, Washington will not consider Cam Newton. He doesn't fit the offense, and Daniel Snyder may have an aversion to Auburn quarterbacks.

If Gabbert is unavailable, the Redskins will take the best player available because they have holes throughout their roster.

That includes the rush linebacker position. Washington made the switch to the 3-4 last season, but didn't consider the possibility that Andre Carter would fail miserably in the new scheme. Carter is a free agent, so the Redskins will be looking for an upgrade across from Brian Orakpo.

Speaking of Orakpo, he was the only Washington player to record more than 2.5 sacks in 2010. How pathetic is that? This defense desperately needs help.

Robert Quinn could be the answer. Quinn missed the 2010 season because the NCAA is ridiculously stupid, hypocritical and tyrannical. If he had played, he'd probably be a consensus top-five prospect, so Washington is getting major value with this selection.

Other 2011 NFL Draft Possibilities:

1. Blaine Gabbert, QB - If the 49ers and Titans don't like Blaine Gabbert, the Redskins may draft him.

2. Julio Jones, WR - Julio Jones could be the best player on Washington's board. With Santana Moss entering free agency, the Redskins will be desperate for a receiver.

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    Quinn will be long gone before the Redskins pick.

Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy View Post
    Quinn will be long gone before the Redskins pick.
    I agree. But the Redskins need a QB. I really thought McNabb would be the answer there and for the first few weeks it looked that way. Then he went down hill and Shanahan had enough.

Wrong Tiger. The Redskins need offensive line help bad!!!! Before Donovan was benched he was actually on pace to set Redskins records in passing yards and touchdowns. But injuries and experience on the offensive caused that meltdown. They do need a QB for the future though. Donovan will be traded and Rex Grossman is absolutely TERRIBLE!!!

OLine and DLine is definitely the priority.

Ugh! Rex Grossman. I still don't know what they were thinking when they signed him.
    Maybe the Skins could trade for Logan Mankins. He is awesome and plus on the field he is a prick. The Redskins Oline could use some attitude and Mankins brings it all day. If not for all the injuries Jon Jansen was that guy for the Redskins.
    They have 7 picks in this draft and could trade that 10th pick to the Patriots who would then use it to replace Mankins or a running back.
    And for the record I never liked the Champ Baily trade. I don't feel like Clinton Portis has lived up to his hype at all and I am hoping with Shanahan as the head coach he can bring that running scheme that was so effective in Denver.

I like your thinking, brotha. I absolutely love Mankins. Every good offensive linemen should have a dirty streak. I like what you're thinking with the Mankins trade and get a good back in the later rounds. I'm a fan of Clinton Portis, I can't lie, but I think the Redskins ruined a hall of fame talent. With all the coaching changes, he was never able to flourish in the Redskins system. And now that he's back with Shanahan, its just too late. I would have never traded Champ Bailey. He's a once in a lifetime talent. We will continue to feel the effects of that trade for years to come.

My youngest boy has been compared to Champ Bailey (plus he's his favorite player), by Champ Bailey himself. So I a HUGE fan, and having met both guys, they are both great human beings. But to have a HOF caliber player tell you that your 13yr old son has his similar skill set, almost brought tears to my eyes! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by BgMc31 View Post
    My youngest boy has been compared to Champ Bailey (plus he's his favorite player), by Champ Bailey himself. So I a HUGE fan, and having met both guys, they are both great human beings. But to have a HOF caliber player tell you that your 13yr old son has his similar skill set, almost brought tears to my eyes! LOL!
    That is awesome!

Thanks brotha!!! Yeah, he catches a lot of flack from everyone because he isn't big like me and his brother, but he's by far a much better athlete than me and his brother.

I just realised Champ Baily is a free agent. Maybe it's time for him to come home.

Since Daniel Snyder has been the owner every year he makes a free agent move that makes headlines. My prediction this year is he will go after Vincent Jackson. That is of course if San Diego doesn't franchise him.

Another good free agent pick for them that is not as sexy would be Sydney Rice. He is a solid wide reciever and if Donavan can stay healthy could be a steal since he will not demand the high salary Jackson would.

And when you mentioned the Oline BgMc13 I forgot they need to replace thier center. Casey Rabach isn't getting any younger, and to say he's lost a step or two in recent years would be an understatement. More then once last season he got pushed back and sometimes caused the QB to sack himself.

When Portis went down I was pretty impressed with what Torrain was able to do and Keiland Williams didnt look so bad either. It wouldnt suprise me to see them go WR especially after the show Julio Jones put on at the combine this morning. He may give Green a run for his money as the first WR taken after today.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigershark View Post
    I just realised Champ Baily is a free agent. Maybe it's time for him to come home.
    Champ signed a long term deal with Denver this week. He'll end his career as a bronco, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy View Post
    When Portis went down I was pretty impressed with what Torrain was able to do and Keiland Williams didnt look so bad either. It wouldnt suprise me to see them go WR especially after the show Julio Jones put on at the combine this morning. He may give Green a run for his money as the first WR taken after today.
    I was impressed with Torrain and Williams isn't half bad. But neither, IMO, are #1 backs. Definitely servicable #2s. Torrain lacks that burst and hits the hole relatively slow. He's a load when he has a head of steam, but he needs work. Williams is a protypical 3rd down back, IMO. Not an everydown runner.

I'm always a little skeptical with picking a reciever in the 1st round. Way too many available. Plus I just don't see spending huge money on a guy who will only touch the ball 5-7 times a game...at most.

If Peyton Manning and Mike Vick had a child, he name would be Cam Newton!!! LOL!!!!

Will be interesting to see where Can Newton lands. What is up with all the controversy surrounding him? I heard bits and pieces about computer theft, cheating on exams and maybe being paid to play.

Here's the sequence of events in a nutshell:

He originally signed to Florida out of high school. While there he purchased a stolen laptop. He didn't know the laptop was stolen until the police came calling. Once he found out though, he threw the laptop out the window instead of admitting the he purchased the computer. He was also involved in a cheating scandal at Florida where a student aid provided papers for athletes for money. He left Florida and went to Jr. college. While in Jr. college, his father basically shopped his services to various colleges. Demanding money for his son to sign with schools. He offered Miss. St. a discount of 280k instead of the normal price of 300k. He claims that he was unaware of his father's doings (yeah right), so the whole year he was under a cloud of scrutiny. But anyone who knows college football knows that Cam isn't the only one getting paid...trust me. I would not have made it through college without those 'padded handshakes' after every game.

BTW, the Redskins released Clinton Portis.

Wow they released Portis. That is too bad. They will miss his blocking. One of the better blocking RBs in the NFL.
    The laptop thing I understand. But the thing with his dad, yeah he had to have known. Of course his dad looses some of my respect doing that to his son.
    I know players get paid and I know most of them need the extra money just to get by.

Unfortunately Portis is a liability. Too many concussions and other injuries. At his prime, he was one of the best all-around backs in the league. I hate to see him go, but it's time to move on. Let's see if we can get an quality back in the draft in the later rounds (they are usually available).

Yeah, Cam's father needs to be ashamed of himself for doing what he did to his son, regardless of whether Cam knew or not. It put too much pressure on Cam throughout the season. BUT, obviously the guy overcame and showed that he is worthy of a high draft position. I'm just fearful of the quality of people who surround him. But no question, the man is off the charts with ability.

Ah Clinton Portis, you think if that had to do it all over again they would have kept Champ Bailey instead of making that trade?

^^^no. Even in most of the down years (before switching to the 3-4 defense), the Redskins had a pretty good D. Always in the top 10. Portis is a victim of the massive amount of offensive coordinators and head coaching changes. Both are HOF talents, but its hard to find a game breaking running back like Portis. So I still would have made the trade but we all know Snider is an idiot owner so doesn't have a clue with how to run a team.

I am on the other side of that argument. I think you can find a Portis caliber RB a whole lot easier than you can find a guy who has been a top 2-3 CB for a decade and still playing at an All Pro level.

I see your point, but you can scheme around a weak corner. I can go in great, great, detail on that...LOL!!! But finding a game breaker like Portis was is really hard to find. But you are right, Champ Bailey is a HOF talent and hard to replace, if not impossible.

Marcus Stroud was signed for 2 years by the Pats. Now we have some size on our Dline.

I think Shroud may be past his prime. But that much mass in the middle will make running the ball up the gut very difficult. Good pick up. Let's hope he keeps his weight down. But Bellichek doesn't put up with nonsense so if he doesn't it'll be a real short run for him in NE.

In Bellichek we trust.

^^^As long as you don't get caught cheating! LOL!!!

We shall live down "Spy Gate."
    lol

Yep!!! LOL!! Just read that Robert Gallery wants out of Oakland, seems like a good guard to pick up. He was a bust as a tackle but pretty solid as a guard. Something the redskins could definitely use. He wanted Oakland to pay him $8milliion. Noboby is going to pay $8mil for a guard with zero pro bowl appearances.

Shockey signed with the Panthers. I always liked his swager on the field. Sure you could say he was an SOB, but when it came to tight ends you would be glad to have him as your SOB.
    I hope they can get this union thing straightened out soon.

bigpapabuff is offline Senior Member
    I can't believe how people make such a big deal of the Combine, Cam Newton threw 11 for 21 at the combine and people are starting to freak out. Just put in the game tape, guy can play.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigershark View Post
    Shockey signed with the Panthers. I always liked his swager on the field. Sure you could say he was an SOB, but when it came to tight ends you would be glad to have him as your SOB.
    I hope they can get this union thing straightened out soon.
    Huge Shockey fan!! I've always been a fan of the cocky, loud mouths, but that's how I played too, so it is what it is... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by bigpapabuff View Post
    I can't believe how people make such a big deal of the Combine, Cam Newton threw 11 for 21 at the combine and people are starting to freak out. Just put in the game tape, guy can play.
    I think the issue with Cam has less to do with his 11 for 21 and more with the Jemarcus Russell comparisons. One year of production with a ton of talent. But I think Cam is a lot different than Jemarcus. Whoever gets him is going to be pleased!!! The kids a monster!!!

teddykgb29 is offline Associate Member
    Cam is a much better passer than Jamarcus, it will all come down to work ethic. If Cam works hard he will succeed, if he relies on his athleticism than he will never live up to the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by teddykgb29 View Post
    Cam is a much better passer than Jamarcus, it will all come down to work ethic. If Cam works hard he will succeed, if he relies on his athleticism than he will never live up to the hype.
    I was referring to his one year of success track record. No doubt Cam is better all around than Jemarcus. But the limited amount of game film, coupled with the off the field issues is what will cause his draft status to drop. I think Cam is going to be a big success in the NFL. But I'm not the one putting up the millions to pay the guy.

I just there is a season, don't know how to survive without fantasy football.

Players do not want a 18 game season. That blows. If there is a lockout I may see some of the bench players installing car stereos at Best Buy like they were in the 80s.

As a member in good standing with the NFLPA, I whole-heartedly agree with the players not wanting 18 games. What people don't realize that vast majority of players were like me, league minimum or slightly above league minimum guys. And the majority of those guys didn't have a good family behind them so they are going to be broke during this turmoil. It's sad, because you'll see a number of guys go by the wayside because of this. It only takes a month or so to get out of 'football' shape. Sad!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information