chuckfinley is offline Junior Member

teenage acne problem

Hey guys im 18 and steroid free still and im having trouble with acne on my face and alittle on my back and shoulders. I know its just a teen thing but my confidence has been taking a hit from this for 5 years and im fed up with it!! My derm has prescribed doxycycline and several topical medicines but none worked. She wants me to take accutane and im excited about it, but my dad is saying no to it becuz my sister over dramatized the side effects to him. Does anyone have experience taking accutane as a teen or for non steroid purposes?? I just wanna here some experiences from ppl i trust haha.

DanB is offline Banned
    I have used it as a teena and am currently using it and I'm still alive lol, best thing you can do is bring your father to the dermatologist and let him/her explain it as he prob wont listen to you no matter what you say

GetItHot is offline Associate Member
    I took accutane as a teenager in 9th grade. It ranks right up there with braces for things that im thankful my parents did. The sides are worse for girls because it can mess up their reproductive system.
    You will need to get your bloodwork done once a month while you are on it, but im sure your dermatologist knows what they are doing. It is well worth it to do accutane. If I get a zit on my face now, it's gone within 24 hrs. The only sides I had was sensitivity to sunlight, and for the first month my face felt like it was going to fall off.
    DO IT.

DanB is offline Banned
    seriously the only sides you will get are dry skin, chapped lips and mabey the odd nose bleed depending how high your dose is, the first two are easily fixed, its nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be, all the people that talk b.s. about it, ask them if they ever took it, i gurantee you they say no

alrite thanks guys. im gonna talk to my dad again about it and will most likely take him to my derm as she can probably explain it better like you said danb. i really want to use this and i cant believe that when i get a chance, my dad is the one standing in the way! @getithot, lol on the braces hahaha!! thats another thing i wanna work on also. my teeth are straight and everything but i have little gaps inbetween some of my teeth that IMO take away from the "perfect teeth" look. im thinking about asking my dentist/orthodontist about invisalign (mainly cuz i dont wanna have braces in college lol) was ur braces expensive>??

Quote Originally Posted by chuckfinley View Post
    @getithot, lol on the braces hahaha!! thats another thing i wanna work on also. my teeth are straight and everything but i have little gaps inbetween some of my teeth that IMO take away from the "perfect teeth" look. im thinking about asking my dentist/orthodontist about invisalign (mainly cuz i dont wanna have braces in college lol) was ur braces expensive>??
    Yeah, they were expensive. I dont know anything about the invisalign, but it sure looks alot better than all that metal.

gixxerboy1 is offline ~VET~ Extraordinaire~
    no offence but your 18 why do you need your dads permission to take it?
    If people can't tell your on steroids then your doing them wrong

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    I would suggest a topical that we use alot of... acne annihialtor by platinum labz... Its the best OTC I have ever witnessed in 20+ years. I use it for acne and razor burn and best of all its cheap.

warchild is offline Knowledgeable Member
    ive taken accutane 3 yrs ago for bacne and that stuff works wonders. never noticed any negative sides except chapped lips

Coolhand5599 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerboy1 View Post
    no offence but your 18 why do you need your dads permission to take it?
    No doubt. Go to the Dr. And pay for it yourself.

@gixx and @coolhand i can deff do it without him but hes gonna give me that typical "im disappointed in you" look haha.but ur right and i already took the first steps lol! got my blood test scheduled in acouple days!! i cant believe how controlled this stuff is . the derm gave me a 50 page phamlet to read on it and abunch of stuff i have to register with lol. @****, can the acne annihilator be bought in stores? cuz when i googled it, there was a couple sketch ass websites that had it and i would rather stay away from those! btw thanks for all ur guys help! really appriciate the support and help!

RockRover is offline New Member
    I did it as a teen as well. Didn't start it until I was 17 and wish I would have gone earlier. I found the sides can suck big time if you don't keep moisturizer and massive amounts of lip balm with you at all times. I was caught a couple of times without it and I'll tell ya', my dry assed face was literally falling off after a couple of hours in the sun!

Funny back when I was taking it (1983!!) there was no BW required. Just a willingness to get chapped. It sure works though!

Justcuz189 is offline New Member
    Just go sit out in the sun and burn your face and back and it will kill all the zits

cruyff is offline Junior Member
    I used creams, prescriptions, alcohol swabs, and everything in between. My acne never disappeared until I started going outside and making an effort to tan. I also never wash my face; I found even the water irritates my acne.

My acne returns every winter though much less now than in the past. My vote is for getting a tan. You'll look better, have more vitamin D which is ridiculously important for your health, and get rid of your acne.

auswest is offline Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Justcuz189
    Just go sit out in the sun and burn your face and back and it will kill all the zits
    I would not suggest you go out and "burn your face and back" sounds dangerous and will cause more irritation, However I have noticed moderate sun exposure does help.
    Last edited by auswest; 05-07-2012 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cruyff View Post
    I used creams, prescriptions, alcohol swabs, and everything in between. My acne never disappeared until I started going outside and making an effort to tan. I also never wash my face; I found even the water irritates my acne.

My acne returns every winter though much less now than in the past. My vote is for getting a tan. You'll look better, have more vitamin D which is ridiculously important for your health, and get rid of your acne.
    Accutane is a year round solution.

cruyff is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GetItHot View Post
    Accutane is a year round solution.
    This is true.

Mason380 is offline Junior Member
    Tetracycline 250mg stuff if amazing take one and your zip/pimple is gone

Hey guys! Started accutane 2 weeks ago and its working! Im at 40 mg ED. it made my acne worst at first but now its getting better. My sides so far havr been slightly chapped lips. Nose is drier than the sonoran desert but thats about it. Ill keep yall updated.

Glad to hear you did it. Give it another two weeks and it will hit hard. Be sure to stay out of the sun.

Oh god haha. Is there anything i can do about my nose drying out?? I feel like when i get deeper in the treatment, im gonna have a bloody nose 24/7

You mean the inside of your nose where the snot it? Or the outside around the nostrils? Inside, buy some saline stuff. I get it at Walgreens and use it when I fly. Outside, just buy a travel size bottle of moisturizer and keep it in your pocket. Use and refill as needed. Just make sure and not get cheap stuff.

Thread Information