squash is offline New Member

B12 inject or oral

hey
    does anyone no whats a better option??

marcus300 is offline ~Retired~ AR-Platinum Elite-Hall of Famer ~
    injectable, you would have to take a bucket full of orals to get the same benefit

pelly789 is offline Member
    i agree..injectable is absorbed alot more than oral b12 i read somewhere that only like 10% of oral b12 is absorbed and the rest is wasted but it depends what you want to use it for

ascendant is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pelly789
    i agree..injectable is absorbed alot more than oral b12 i read somewhere that only like 10% of oral b12 is absorbed and the rest is wasted but it depends what you want to use it for
    right, but that's why in most the decent vitamins they put well over 2000% of the rda in the vitamins of b12. i think with a heavy amount like that, you should be fine. why could you possibly need more than that much? not to mention the the rda takes into consideration oral intake, not injected. therefore, the injected will push those levels far higher than you think you are doing opposed to the oral amounts.

also, though much of the oral is wasted, considering the cost proportionately, oral is still far cheaper.

all things considered, i think i get enough b12 from my vitamins and actually posted a thread asking about the benefits of injecting b12 which seemed to be inconclusive. i just have to ask, why would you want that much extra b12? my "ultra vita man" vitamins have 5000%, so even if only 10% is absorbed, i'd still be getting 500%. why inject for more than that? could it truly have any added benefit?

maxmz is offline Junior Member

Shot

Injected, is way more better absorbed.

thanks for the replies.
    so if i was to inject 1000mg/per week would i still take oral b12? and the same if i took 1000mg/month?

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ascendant
    right, but that's why in most the decent vitamins they put well over 2000% of the rda in the vitamins of b12. i think with a heavy amount like that, you should be fine. why could you possibly need more than that much?
    The RDA amount is somewhat irrelevant.

A more relevant amount would be the 'toxic' amount.

Remember.. the rda of vitamin C is 60 mg... but longevity doctors have researched that the intravenous use of vitamin C (the ascorbate salt) at supramaximal dosages (measured in grams not micrograms: 10+ gr) have amazing effects.

Simply put.. more is better in some instances.

not to mention the the rda takes into consideration oral intake, not injected. therefore, the injected will push those levels far higher than you think you are doing opposed to the oral amounts.
    .. that sir.. is the point

also, though much of the oral is wasted, considering the cost proportionately, oral is still far cheaper.
    Far from.

all things considered, i think i get enough b12 from my vitamins
    That's an opinion.. That's like doctor's opinon that we get enough creatine from our food intakes..

That, like the aforementioned opinion, are erroneous.

Soil leaching; choice of vitamin substrate added (to supplements etc.); are a few factors which affect the bio-availability of a a micronutrient. Also add factors such as environmental polution etc. With environmental toxins: synthetic estrogens (from plastics); heavy metal substrates etc..Our need for specific vitamins (C; E; B-complex, namely) is higer.. substantially higher.

and actually posted a thread asking about the benefits of injecting b12 which seemed to be inconclusive.
    I missed that thread.. so i'll comment here.

i just have to ask, why would you want that much extra b12? my "ultra vita man" vitamins have 5000%, so even if only 10% is absorbed, i'd still be getting 500%.
    See previous comments.

why inject for more than that? could it truly have any added benefit?
    Try it.. you might like it.

I know personally, when i add it my energy levels improve almost immediately. I get 'fuller' in appearance etc.

The b-complex vitamins are known as the 'stress' vitamins simply because elimination of the complex is higher.. loads higher in times of stress.

As hard -training athletes, exposed to the same level of environmental toxins as the 'rest of the world'.. but coupling this with exorbitant additional stressors (increased protein load; increased muscle mass etc.)... our 'requirements' of EVERYTHING would be higher dontcha think?

Ponder that.

Narkissos

ok so what if i had a full screening of my vitamins levels with a blood test.

if all the levels are fine is there a need to supplement?
    im talking all vitamins here not just b12

ascendant is offline Senior Member
    great info narkissos, thanks. after all that info, i think i might try the injectable for myself. what do you suggest as a daily dosage for the b-12 though, considering i'm already getting so much from the multi? i'd still need the multi for all the other nutrients of course, but i wouldn't mind adding in the b-12 and see if i get anything from it.

Quote Originally Posted by squash
    ok so what if i had a full screening of my vitamins levels with a blood test.

if all the levels are fine is there a need to supplement?
    im talking all vitamins here not just b12
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos

Simply put.. more is better in some instances.
    Is there a need to supplement?

That depends on you rather... 'perceived need' i should say.

Some vitamins in 'higher' amounts can be ergogenic imo.

Like the B-complex as mentioned prior... When i increase my B intake i feel better. My body utilises food better etc.

So the choice of whether you should supplement should be based around perceived need.

Obviously the rda has merit with respect to certain vitamins: those with cumulative toxicity.. like the fat-soluble Vitamin D

Narkissos

great info narkissos, thanks. after all that info, i think i might try the injectable for myself. what do you suggest as a daily dosage for the b-12 though, considering i'm already getting so much from the multi? i'd still need the multi for all the other nutrients of course, but i wouldn't mind adding in the b-12 and see if i get anything from it.
    Hm.. that's a tough one.

When i use it during my contest prep i use 1000 mcg once per week in the intial stages.. then 1000 mcg EOD day in the latter stages of my prep when energy levels have dropped.

This is actually the inverse of how it is used during the treatment of anemia etc.

The treatment for anemia is as follows:

Initially: 1,000 micrograms on alternate days as long as improvement is occurring.
    Maintenance: 1,000 micrograms every two months
    My suggestion?

500- 1000 mcg injectable b-12 once per week...

Or at the very least 500- 1000 mcg injectable b-12 once every two weeks

Narkissos

Thread Information