Allpump is offline New Member

Why not just skip protein all together?

Why shell out cash for powders and chicken rather than go straight for amino acid suppliments?

My diet and nutrition knowledge is limited so the reason I ask this is because if protein is a building block of amino acids, why not just "cut out the middle man" and go straight to amino acid suppliments? I'm pretty sure it's a lot more complicated than doing that, so I'd love to hear what the more experienced members here think.

brad1986 is offline Senior Member
    other way around. Amino acids are the building block of protein. You would spend way more time and money trying to duplicate chicken or egg whites or any other protien then it would be worth. Certain proteins contain certain amino acids at certain levels. Imo amino acid supps are not needed at all if your diet is high in protien. Eat real food. The body processes that and absorbs whole foods better anyway. SO there is many reasons why you would not want to do what you stated

Gucks is offline Member
    ur body doesnt actualy use free amino acids for proteins, it uses peptides. eating whole food gives u a much more varied source of amino acids and peptides, theres just no way yet of replicating the complexity of proteins from free form amino acids in a lab. so some free form amino acids can help, but to try and make up ur entire protein source fom them would be completely impractical, extremely expensive and not as effective as whole food proteins. plus if uve ever tasted EAA's or BCAA's you'll know that they taste like shit...stick to meat!

TOkidd is offline Productive Member
    So how does whey protein measure up with the protein one gets from food? I know quality varies from brand to brand, but I'm speaking in general terms. Is whey protein as good, better, or worse, than the protein in, say, a NY strip steak?

peace

TOkidd

Gucks is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
    So how does whey protein measure up with the protein one gets from food? I know quality varies from brand to brand, but I'm speaking in general terms. Is whey protein as good, better, or worse, than the protein in, say, a NY strip steak?

peace

TOkidd
    whey protein is derived from milk so its a similat ro any other whole food protein. there isnt huge differences between protein sources from different whole foods. their amino acid profiles change and their absorbtion time, but they are all still good proteins. u would need a pHD in biology to completely understand proteins (which i dont) but ye, for the most part, whey protein is just as good as steak/chicken/fish. it has one of the fastest absorbtion times of proteins though which is why its chosen PWO.

bigslick7878 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brad1986 View Post
    other way around. Amino acids are the building block of protein. You would spend way more time and money trying to duplicate chicken or egg whites or any other protien then it would be worth. Certain proteins contain certain amino acids at certain levels. Imo amino acid supps are not needed at all if your diet is high in protien. Eat real food. The body processes that and absorbs whole foods better anyway. SO there is many reasons why you would not want to do what you stated
    And we have a winner!

Thread Information