Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    KETOGUY is offline Junior Member

Question Cheapest Bulk Protein Powder

Hi,

I've been using Pure Protein brand protein shake mix, but I've discovered that I am going through it very fast on my current program. It's very reasonably priced, compared to other similar products on the market, yet considering my current diet, I am going to go broke. I drink 3-4 shakes per day containing 2 scoops (50g protein) per shake.

Is there a very cheap protein powder out there that would save me some money? This bulking product looks great cause it's huge and cheap, except it has far too many cal and carb for what I'm doing:

Optimum Nutrition Serious Mass 12 pound bag for $45.99 ($0.24 / oz) (amazon.com)

I don't even need the flavorings and additives, just plain, pure protein - if there is such a thing. If not, anything that comes in bulk that has a similar price per ounce as the product I mentioned ($0.24 / oz), but won't kill me on the cals and carbs. Thanks.

cj111 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    8 scoops a day ? dude, why....
    But anyways, back to your question. Check out www.canadianprotein.com
    Its a 45 lb bag, at your rate it might last you a month or so haha

Question

Quote Originally Posted by cj111 View Post
    8 scoops a day ? dude, why....
    But anyways, back to your question. Check out www.canadianprotein.com
    Its a 45 lb bag, at your rate it might last you a month or so haha
    Thank you.

I'm 210 lbs. I try to keep protein above 210. I typically take in 250-300g per day. Each scoop has 25g. So 8 scoops is 200g. The additional 50-100g comes from real food. Ideally, I would rather get more of my protein from real food, but that's not an option this month. So is there something I'm missing? How is 8 scoops too much? Feel free to correct me if I'm doing something wrong. Thanks.

tdoe11 is offline Senior Member
    Dude starts pounding some eggs chicken and milk. All that protein isn't going to get to anywhere. You need real food!

Okay, I guess that's actually doable. I can drink eggs and milk really easily. ..and that's cheap protein. Duh. Thank you.

I'm 210 lbs
    I don't care if you are 300 pounds, 8 scoops a day is a waste. I feel sorry for your kidneys. Please invest in some real food, pounding a 4Litre of milk a day isn't the answer either. 66% of your daily protein came from a powder, you don't think that's a bad idea ?

MuscleInk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cj111
    I don't care if you are 300 pounds, 8 scoops a day is a waste. I feel sorry for your kidneys. Please invest in some real food, pounding a 4Litre of milk a day isn't the answer either. 66% of your daily protein came from a powder, you don't think that's a bad idea ?
    Most people don't know how to eat. It's a shame how these nutrition/supplement shops have people convinced that protein shakes = good nutrition.

I've heard the "don't have time" comment/excuse before and in most cases it comes down to a lack of preparation and planning. Nothing replaces real food.

I know some people have jobs that keep them away from home or a gym (eg military deployment) but if you have access to shake garbage you have access to real food too.

I don't drink any more than one shake a day on non-training days, two on training days.

MuscleInk

Okay, I get it. ..and appreciate it. Yeah, the truth is that I'm looking for a shortcut I guess. It's difficult for me to eat enough protein in my day from real food. But I will ditch what I'm doing now. Are raw eggs okay? I can put raw egg whites, milk and a cooked chicken breast in a blender. Doing this would allow me to only need a powdered shake once a day.

I guess you could do that. Are you really that strapped for time you have to put a chicken breast in a blender? Food is supposed to be enjoyable. Let me know how that tastes

Also, there are no short cuts I'm afraid, cause if there was everyone would be doing it. Getting in shape and building a physique isn't something people just do occasionally...its pretty much another full time job

kronik420 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cj111 View Post
    I guess you could do that. Are you really that strapped for time you have to put a chicken breast in a blender? Food is supposed to be enjoyable. Let me know how that tastes

Also, there are no short cuts I'm afraid, cause if there was everyone would be doing it. Getting in shape and building a physique isn't something people just do occasionally...its pretty much another full time job
    he's basically making chicken soup... could throw a few veggies into the blend too..

OP, is it a money issue? or a time issue? or?

lol. yeah, chicken soup!

Alright ****. I didn't want to go here, but here it goes. I'm on oral epistane 30/30/30/30. It's going well but has decreased my appetite. I know what you all are going to say. Not only does he not know how to eat - he's doing PH.

I am going to suck it up, and eat. I can eat, it just becomes a bit of a forced thing to hit my protein macro. I thought drinking something down might be easier.

Quote Originally Posted by KETOGUY View Post
    lol. yeah, chicken soup!

Alright ****. I didn't want to go here, but here it goes. I'm on oral epistane 30/30/30/30. It's going well but has decreased my appetite. I know what you all are going to say. Not only does he not know how to eat - he's doing PH.

I am going to suck it up, and eat. I can eat, it just becomes a bit of a forced thing to hit my protein macro. I thought drinking something down might be easier.
    good luck..

MuscleInk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KETOGUY
    lol. yeah, chicken soup!

For some of my later meals, if my appetite is lower, I through my food in a blender, add warm water and chug it back. Tastes like soup or gravy a lot of times and is easier to drink.

MuscleInk

thanks guys.

Rusty11 is offline Senior Member
    I've put a lot of things in a blender over the years. A chicken breast isn't one of them.

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    Hi,

I've been using Pure Protein brand protein shake mix, but I've discovered that I am going through it very fast on my current program. It's very reasonably priced, compared to other similar products on the market, yet considering my current diet, I am going to go broke. I drink 3-4 shakes per day containing 2 scoops (50g protein) per shake.

Is there a very cheap protein powder out there that would save me some money? This bulking product looks great cause it's huge and cheap, except it has far too many cal and carb for what I'm doing:

Optimum Nutrition Serious Mass 12 pound bag for $45.99 ($0.24 / oz) (amazon.com)

I don't even need the flavorings and additives, just plain, pure protein - if there is such a thing. If not, anything that comes in bulk that has a similar price per ounce as the product I mentioned ($0.24 / oz), but won't kill me on the cals and carbs. Thanks.

Be careful buying cheap quality proteins. Gas,,bloat,,poor digestion. Use a high quality Whey Isolate

Does tofu qualify as a good "real food" protein source, or should I stick with eggs, chicken and tuna?

951thompson is offline Senior Member
    You could make a tastier shake then that, sounds yuk lol
    How about adding some cottage cheese, eggs, oats,powder milk to your protein shake. There's nothing wrong with the protein in protein shakes, the problem is your body digest it in around 20-30 mins, but by adding the above ingredients I mentioned would slow down digestion. Maybe add some berries for vits and anti-oxidants and you have got yourself a meal in a shake (power shake)

Does tofu qualify as a good "real food" protein source, or should I stick with eggs, chicken and tuna?
    tofu is ok

id rather eat meat tho...

Porterhouse shake. Chase it with a shot of A1.

kfizzle187 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty11 View Post
    I've put a lot of things in a blender over the years. A chicken breast isn't one of them.
    Hahahaaaa

Honkey_Kong is offline Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Porterhouse shake. Chase it with a shot of A1.
    Around here, we don't joke about blending porterhouses.... That sort of talk can get you sent to the gulag.

Sfla80 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleInk View Post
    For some of my later meals, if my appetite is lower, I through my food in a blender, add warm water and chug it back. Tastes like soup or gravy a lot of times and is easier to drink.

MuscleInk
    For the longest time, i have been asking here if this was possible. So instead of making the normal excuse, "my job doesnt allow me to eat" i have always looked for ways to liquidfy a meal, and drink it at the "crunch" part time in my night.

Have u had luck with this?

Quote Originally Posted by goode80 View Post
    For the longest time, i have been asking here if this was possible. So instead of making the normal excuse, "my job doesnt allow me to eat" i have always looked for ways to liquidfy a meal, and drink it at the "crunch" part time in my night.

I make a couple shakes and a container of chicken n rice and bring that with me to work

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...e#.UVV7NREaySM

Honkey_Kong is offline Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    Quote Originally Posted by goode80 View Post

I've only had liquified meals before when I broke my jaw as a kid. Disgusting crap.

You know what works good at work to eat? those asian riceballs with the chicken in the centre. You can eat them just about anywhere without making a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    Around here, we don't joke about blending porterhouses.... That sort of talk can get you sent to the gulag.
    Yeah, I think it's more deserving of an all out user ban. Kicked out into the desert never to return. An outcast for the rest of time.

We're having prime steaks with bernaise for Easter over here. Yumtastic.

Since I was educated about how to eat, I have already been feeling better. I haven't noticed a difference when I'm lifting, but I can tell a huge difference on my off days when I do cardio. I've got a lot more stamina.

I was full of shit about not being able to eat right.

I've incorporated more real food. I've discovered that tuna salad made with light mayo, onion powder, garlic powder, green onion and celery is real easy to make and eat.

I also drink egg whites in my existing chocolate protein shake now. Less powder and more real protein.
    Last edited by KETOGUY; 03-29-2013 at 11:13 AM.

Congrats, glad you're feeling better.

Give it time, I mean about the weights part, it will come don't worry.

Thanks bro.

BluPhin is offline Associate Member
    Is it really necessary to omit egg yolks when drinking eggs/shakes?

Tron3219 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BluPhin
    Debatable...they say that's where the cholesterol is at, but they say its not as bad for u as previously thought. However uncooked eggs have a lower bioavailability. So recommendation r to use pasteurized liquid egg whites in shakes

-TroN-

BluPhin is offline Associate Member
    I wasn't aware that pasteurized liquid egg whites were commercially available. That changes everything. I avoided drinking eggs in my shakes because I didn't want to deal with the mess of separating yolks/whites like my wife does when she's baking a cake. So I can go down to the grocery store and buy egg whites? And a chicken breast to throw in the blender with them.

Tron3219 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BluPhin
    I wasn't aware that pasteurized liquid egg whites were commercially available. That changes everything. I avoided drinking eggs in my shakes because I didn't want to deal with the mess of separating yolks/whites like my wife does when she's baking a cake. So I can go down to the grocery store and buy egg whites? And a chicken breast to throw in the blender with them.
    Idk bout other countries, but in the states, yes. Called ready eggs or liquid eggs. Any liquid egg white is going to b pasteurized. Usually in a milk carton type container by the eggs

-TroN-

You'll spend too much on those egg whites if you buy them in the regular grocery store. I get mine at Costco in bulk. Kirkland brand (Pasteurized and homogenized). It's called "Real Egg". It comes in a box which contains I don't know how many 16oz cartons. I presume they have something similar at Sam's Club if you don't have a Costco nearby you. I keep a few fridge and the rest in the freezer. This keeps them from going bad. I know that the cholesterol thing is being questioned now. It may not be as bad for you as we thought, yet imo, why risk it. I'd rather not give my heart and arteries a grip of cholesterol to have to deal with. What you need comes from the whites, so I go with the whites.
    Last edited by KETOGUY; 03-29-2013 at 02:49 PM.

zack67360 is offline New Member
    So how many grams of protein is ok to get from protein powders? I do a double shake (48 gms protein) with creatine about 45 minutes before my workout, then another double P. shake right after with more creatine, a packet of unflavored knox gelatin (another 8 grams P.), Gluc./Chond. and MSM, and a P.B. sandwich. My other protein comes from real food. I average around 225 grms protein/day intake with 96 grams coming from the shakes. I'm a hard gainer so bumped up my P. shakes and have increased my food intake as well. Still at 155# :-( But have only increased my food intake the last 1.5 weeks.

Youre consuming pretty much half your daily protein from a powder, IMO, no good. I would omit the pre workout shake and have a small meal instead, some oat and cottage cheese , apple, piece of cheese,, whatever you want. Have your PWO shake , then follow it up with a BIG meal. When I was younger I would have 5-6 scoops a day, and its a waste, I thought it was working but in reality it wasn't. I have 1 a day now, and eat real food, and have made more progress lately than you can shake a stick at.

Hard gainers need carbs, how much you consuming in a day zack?

Quote Originally Posted by BluPhin View Post
    Agree, stick a couple of yolks in,the fat will slow digestion.

I have a related question. How much protein should we aim for each time we eat? Meaning, where is the cut off i.e. what is considered too much in one meal/shake?

I have a related question. How much protein should we aim for each time we eat? Meaning, where is the cut off i.e. what is considered too much in one meal/shake?
    As much as you like, it does'nt make any difference.

zack67360 is offline New Member
    Cj- My relative daily intake according to the 'myfitnesspal' site is : Total calories-2450, carbs-198 gms, fat-59, protein-224, sodium-3552, sugar-27gms.
    zack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information