• 1 Post By Khazima
  • 1 Post By Ashop
  • 1 Post By NACH3
  • 1 Post By Simon1972
  • 1 Post By NACH3

Thread: Cheap protein vs expensive protein

JohnnyJim is offline Banned

Cheap protein vs expensive protein

I do know that a brand new $30,000 pickup truck is justifiably more expensive than a used, nonvintage pre-1990 car. The newer and more expensive vehicle will have better quality by a large margin.

And right now, I wanna know if I should buy the expensive whey protein they sell in this supplement store ($50 for 60+ servings of 25g protein) vs whatever I get at Walmart, which is less than $20 for the same amount...

Should I save money or live better? Will I actually live better with the limousine shake?

JohnnyJim is offline Banned
    Also, I want everyone to know that I don't even care about pre-workout or post-workout consumption. I'm merely upping my overall caloric intake. I don't have the resources to cook and currently relying on canned tuna and pre-baked bread for my nutrition.

Khazima is offline Knowledgeable Member
    It won't make a differnence, don't waste your money on 'high quality' protein powders.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Khazima View Post
    It won't make a differnence, don't waste your money on 'high quality' protein powders.
    IMO it makes a huge difference. The whey you can get at BJ's in 5lb tub is nowhere near the quality of things like Whey iso-100 and MTS whey. Not only is the protein higher quality and with less sugar and carbs but it tastes better as well.

Quote Originally Posted by davidtheman100 View Post
    IMO it makes a huge difference. The whey you can get at BJ's in 5lb tub is nowhere near the quality of things like Whey iso-100 and MTS whey. Not only is the protein higher quality and with less sugar and carbs but it tastes better as well.
    Those are the few variables that you can take into account, but in the grand scheme of things mean practically nothing, taste being the largest factor. 2g of fat and 5g of carbs isn't going to ruin your gains, if you're in keto or using insulin it may be something to take a little more seriously but generally it's not going to matter.

And the 'quality' difference in the actual protein is negligible, whey is whey, the protein with the highest amino acid content most importantly leucine. If you switched from $5 protein to $50 protein and you're eating sufficient protein anyway, you'll see no difference other than small things like how comfortably you digest it, and taste.
    DCI likes this.

ggerman is offline Junior Member
    You overpay for a brand. That's it.

scotty51312 is offline Transformation Challenge Trainer
    The number of facilities in the world that produce raw forms of whey protein are very limited so there aren't much variations. Your extra money is usually because of some hyped up micro ingredient thats been added. If you feel the need to buy all natural non GMO/Organic thats one thing, but the lable on your protein makes no difference. Are there taste differences? Sure. But I've never drank a shake for taste nor will I ever have the craving for whey protein. It doesn't have to taste good to serve its purpose

Reiid13 is offline Member
    The only thing you should look out for is :

How it fits into your diet , for example a person that is cutting might not want a protein that has mass amount of carbs and sugar that have been thrown in for filler.

A person who is bulking might not want a protein shake that is only 100 cals / 25g serving.

As for how good that grade of protein is I'm not sure it matters ( maybe it does ) for example a egg is a egg - whether you buy 12 eggs for £2 or 12 eggs for £5 , it's still a egg - just comes down to how it's marketed

Anyway that's my opinion , personally for a protein shake I use : myprotein , but because of work related stuff Im starting to look for a meal replacement shake too , as sometimes I get in and realise I haven't eaten enough .

Peace out man

fitnesstrainer is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Khazima
    X2

There's so many articles out now about everything they do to fake protein powder. In my opinion it's all trash. Never buying another tub

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    While some fancy one that claims to increase anabolism 900% with some special ingredient would be a poor investment, quality whey is essential. The cheap companies are more likely to buy tainted ingredients from China than the better companies. And they are less likely to meet label claims. And they taste like shit (taste increases compliance). And they are using shittier forms of protein (soy filler and whey concentrate vs isolate and hydrolysate) that are processed in the cheapest way possible (ion exchange vs cold filtering).

So it doesn't come down just to price, but to ingredients and integrity, which you generally pay for.
    Last edited by Bonaparte; 04-17-2015 at 06:19 AM.

Irish_muscle is offline Junior Member
    There are degrees of "cheap" if you buy on line from a wholesaler, or catch some good deal is one thing, if you buy cheap stuff from Wal Mart is another.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum

Joco71 is offline Senior Member
    I try to keep it in the middle of the road. I look for good taste 25 grams or higher per serving at a decent price. The really cheap stuff tears my stomach up bad gas and bloat. To each his own I guess but I think you can get good protein for just a few dollars more than the cheap stuff and still stay out of the real expensive products. Just my.02 cents.

Lee_1978 is offline Member
    I tend to subscribe to the old adage 'you get what you pay for'. Higher quality whey, imo, tastes better and mixes better.

Simon1972 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    Whey protein isolate 100%. Tastes better than casein and is better in terms of digest ability for those with stomach issues etc.

Buy from wholesalers with no added flavor, sugar etc and mix your own flavor into it, such as cocoa, Gatorade powder etc.

Protein is protein. Except for soy or other vegetable based proteins which does not cover all the amino acid profiles dairy based WPI does.

If you enjoyed this post, give me a like and I will send you an internet kiss! :-D

Quote Originally Posted by Simon1972 View Post

If you enjoyed this post, give me a like and I will send you an internet kiss! :-D
    Hahaha! I was going to like the post because it's a great post, but now i don't know how to feel about it!
    Simon1972 likes this.

Blog Entries
    Hahaha! I was going to like the post because it's a great post, but now i don't know how to feel about it!
    Tease! Xx

DCI
    DCI is offline Productive Member
    Most of the powders are made in Ireland and exported out via glanbia and kerryfoods. Personally I always buy middle of the road protein as the really cheap stuff is full of sugar generally etc

Ashop is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyJim View Post
    I do know that a brand new $30,000 pickup truck is justifiably more expensive than a used, nonvintage pre-1990 car. The newer and more expensive vehicle will have better quality by a large margin.

And right now, I wanna know if I should buy the expensive whey protein they sell in this supplement store ($50 for 60+ servings of 25g protein) vs whatever I get at Walmart, which is less than $20 for the same amount...

Should I save money or live better? Will I actually live better with the limousine shake?
    Use a reputable company with whey proteins. Im VERY particular what I use. I only use Whey Isolates these days.
    Simon1972 likes this.

corestorm is offline Associate Member
    Mcdonalds VS steak they are both food but one is more expensive and is better for you, think about it.

Most shit protein powders are full of 'special blend' fillers like ash etc, high quality = good quality = you pay for it you can buy the shit in bulk though online for a fraction of the cost...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by corestorm View Post
    Mcdonalds VS steak they are both food but one is more expensive and is better for you, think about it.

Most shit protein powders are full of 'special blend' fillers like ash etc, high quality = good quality = you pay for it you can buy the shit in bulk though online for a fraction of the cost...
    too confusing.
    mass building protein = dirty bulk (full of sugar and crap) tastes like balls
    wpc- casesin- slow digestion= bedtime- slow release- tastes crap to me
    wpi-isolate-fast absorption- cleaner tasting- less lactose (less squirts)- tastes like peanut shells
    whey blensd wpc+wpi (slow and fast release)- best of both worlds- (if you can handle the taste of the crappy balls)
    Last edited by Simon1972; 04-20-2015 at 04:12 AM.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    too confusing.
    mass building protein = dirty bulk (full of sugar and crap) tastes like balls
    wpc- casesin- slow digestion= bedtime- slow release- tastes crap to me
    wpi-isolate-fast absorption- cleaner tasting- less lactose (less squirts)- tastes like peanut shells
    whey blensd wpc+wpi (slow and fast release)- best of both worlds- (if you can handle the taste of the casein)
    Really Simon?! I love ON GS 100% casein at night(so thick - like a milkshake) look forward to it actually lol

And then whey ISO or hydrosolate b4 w/o & post w/o...

Different strokes for sure
    Simon1972 likes this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NACH3 View Post
    Really Simon?! I love ON GS 100% casein at night(so thick - like a milkshake) look forward to it actually lol

And then whey ISO or hydrosolate b4 w/o & post w/o...

Different strokes for sure
    which do you find is the easiest to digest? i struggle - i get a solid lump in my neck from whey ( could be allegy) that takes ages to go away- so i struggle to find anything that will go down easy. tried ON gold standard ended up using it in pancakes as i couldnt drink it . im thinking just plain isolate raw and adding in cocoa for night and gatorade powder for post workouts.
    NACH3 likes this.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    which do you find is the easiest to digest? i struggle - i get a solid lump in my neck from whey ( could be allegy) that takes ages to go away- so i struggle to find anything that will go down easy. tried ON gold standard ended up using it in pancakes as i couldnt drink it . im thinking just plain isolate raw and adding in cocoa for night and gatorade powder for post workouts.
    I find whey easier to digest(& I have GI problems) I try to take in lots of fiber and I supplement Magnesium Chelated(which aids in digestion)...

But casein is a slowly digested protein so I would think it could give yourself problems(I have noticed that my "going" has slowed a lil) could be all the meat too lol
    Simon1972 likes this.

Bonaparte is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    In your esophagus, or like a lymph node?
    If the former, that sounds like acid reflux.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonaparte View Post
    In your esophagus, or like a lymph node?
    If the former, that sounds like acid reflux.
    Definitely not acid reflux. I read some people have slight allergic reactions to whey. Felt like my thyroid was inflamed. But happened every time I drank whey.

zempey is offline Anabolic Member
    I wont buy cheap protein, whey concentrate gives me gas and the shits, it is cheap garbage. I like the Diesel brand of whey isolate, or Allmax Nutrition Iso Flex. I use casein before bed sometimes as well.

Synhax is offline Associate Member
    taste is the biggest difference

money0351 is offline New Member
    Aside from taste when buying cheap proteins like the ones at Walmart, you are paying a premium for cheap fillers. Multiple brands have been using ingredients such as taurine, glycine, and creatine (which all cost far less than milk protein) to boost nitrogen content in their product to pass it off as all protein.

For example, a protein was recently tested and out of the 25g of protein per scoop it actually contained about 12g of protein and 13g of the fillers stated above. So while it may have passed nitrogen testing for 25g of "protein" chromadex testing showed what was really in the powder.

All in all, while it is just a protein supplement and you should get the majority of your protein via whole foods, I personally do not want to pay the price of the brand new truck as the OP stated, when I'm really getting a 93 broken down Honda

Donnell is offline New Member
    I buy an 8kg tub of matrix protein, cheap and full of sugars then get something like ON Gold whey or Hyperbolic Mass with creatine 5kg for about £60 and mix the two. My stomach can handle it and I get the best of both worlds

Thread Information