Thread: bench press

Burden is offline Junior Member

bench press

ok guys, i use the no thumb grip when doing the bench press, i read its a great way to improve grip strength, im wondering though whether its good to use. I also read that you should wrap your thumb around the bar when bench pressing, im a little confused now. Any advice? , Thanks.

200byjune is offline Senior Member
    well i do thumbs over the bar and i can bench 400+. ive tried thumbs unde for about 3 weeks and my wrists hurt real bad for a good 8 weeks where i couldnt do bench. i had to do umbbell
    Last edited by 200byjune; 04-28-2008 at 07:27 PM.

Manorexic is offline Associate Member
    i do thumbs over mainly when i bench heavy.... when warming up i dont wrap my thumbs... i just feel safer with my thumbs wrapped when going heavy

FREAK is offline BLACK MARKET BUILT
    agreed thumbs fully wrapped when going heavy its not worth the accident

Manorexic is offline Associate Member
    yeah ive seen a couple bench meets where the bar has rolled on top of people because their thumbs werent wrapped http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSJCDcAKShA

Deadlift007 is offline Junior Member
    I do my benching in the squat rack.. I let the safety bars rest about and inch above my chest, this way I can go to failure with no partner. I know that doesn't answer you question, but I just thought I would throw that in.

personaltrainermark is offline Associate Member
    I feel stronger with thumbs not wrapped, i use unwrapped thumbs for first couple sets but when i go heavy for safety i wrap them most of the time unless I have a partner there to spot.

-DedicateD- is offline Member
    i had about 255 drop on my chest when i was doing thumbless close grip bench ... if your careful you shouldnt have a problem but i got too comfortable with it...needless to say ill take the added wrist strain that comes with a full grip now

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Quote Originally Posted by Burden View Post
    ok guys, i use the no thumb grip when doing the bench press, i read its a great way to improve grip strength, im wondering though whether its good to use. I also read that you should wrap your thumb around the bar when bench pressing, im a little confused now. Any advice? , Thanks.
    what works for you? when do you feel most powerful? if you read it, it doesn't mean its best for you. reason i'd say to start lighter if you are going to start benching with the false grip, is because i've seen guys drop a lot of weight using that grip. that's probably why they also said to wrap your thumb around the bar.

it really all comes down to how you can keep your wrist straight, while being most powerful with your lift, and keeping it in control.

Braveheart04 is offline Associate Member
    No way I would do a no thumbs bench, way too much risk for injury.

Tatudlifter is offline Junior Member
    Use your thumbs especially after watching that u tube video......damn!

Thread Information