XChris1632X is offline New Member

Lifting to failure

What are some of your opinions on working out until complete failure. I work out very hard in the gym and I am trying to draw the line of training hard and overtraining. My typical workout is 3 to 4 excercises a muscle group with 3-4 sets of each not including warmup. I always pyramid weight and I always go until failure on the last set. It just happens to usually be timed perfectly with my last rep or maybe the on one before it with a little help from a spotter on the last. Should I be doing some excercises or some weeks without going to failure. Throughout a couple magazines I have seen articles of the preaching it hurts performance and hinders you more than it helps. If I go into the gym and dont go to failure I feel like I am doing a half ass workout.

Help me to clear this up along with how to find out if I am over training at times.

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by XChris1632X View Post
    What are some of your opinions on working out until complete failure. I work out very hard in the gym and I am trying to draw the line of training hard and overtraining. My typical workout is 3 to 4 excercises a muscle group with 3-4 sets of each not including warmup. I always pyramid weight and I always go until failure on the last set. It just happens to usually be timed perfectly with my last rep or maybe the on one before it with a little help from a spotter on the last. Should I be doing some excercises or some weeks without going to failure. Throughout a couple magazines I have seen articles of the preaching it hurts performance and hinders you more than it helps. If I go into the gym and dont go to failure I feel like I am doing a half ass workout.

Help me to clear this up along with how to find out if I am over training at times.
    What you are lacking is a deloading phase. You cannot reload for long and expect to not over-train!

Thread Information